Chinese tourists coming back to Thailand in big numbers

webfact

1 hour ago, markclover said:

Yes, Thailand has tourists.  Please show some respect to the long term teachers that work 40 hour weeks for a McDonald's salary.

Nobody forces them to work for more than Thai teachers get!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Saw them in Tops last week, actually filling two suitcases at the checkout with dried foods to take home.

Must be expensive in China.

Great for the business. The Chinese come to shop and eat, they are not much interested in water activities. They are spending well at the restaurants, not like the riff raffs sharing a portion of fried rice and a bottle of water. The flights from Chengdu to Samui seem fully operational now, in fact there seem to be heaps of inbound flights to Samui now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Saw them in Tops last week, actually filling two suitcases at the checkout with dried foods to take home.

Same here at the Big C supermarket where they will buy a cheap suitcase (or two) and pack it full of dried food, even noodles etc to take back home??

I often look at their trolley and see the type of dried food they are buying and my immediate thought is that if they continue eating this type of rubbish, then they won't have a long life! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fusion58 said:

But…but…I was told zero dollar tours didn’t exist… ????

Try googling "all inclusive holiday Thailand"  - I got 28 million results.

It's all in the name. These sort of holidays are not exclusive to the Chinese visiting Thailand and are common.

4 hours ago, gearbox said:

Go back to your home country, there should be teacher job vacancies paying well above Maccas money, with superior benefits like high quality free health care. Time flies and you'll end up here near pension age with little or no assets.

Not quite a simple affair. In the US, only one state I'm aware of, Minnesota, with a Master's degree allows you to simply take the exam for your subject, then be handed a teaching license.

All other states require a slew of exams and lengthy, expensive courses, which mostly seem like a racket for states to collect revenue. CA, TX, and FL are the worst in this regard. Those I've spoken to who did them said they were a joke, there wasn't much to be applied toward any meaningful professional development. It's unfortunate considering how the US still continues to suffer from a massive teacher shortage, that with such BS they're still failing to address.

On the other hand, Thailand offers a great opportunity for an aspiring teacher to simply hop on a plane, then be put in front of a classroom. Sure, this does result in all the backpacker, Hangman playing "teachers" everyone likes to trash. But there's also quite a few who really want to teach, make a difference in kids' lives, and grow from the experience. While working we also get to enjoy touring this beautiful country and enjoy its low cost of living, one that doesn't have to take nearly all one's salary. Your home country might pay more, but then how much of that will go to rent?

Not to mention, how many new teachers back home will burn out in a few years given the MMA-like, body slamming environment, complete with flying bullets? The Thai classroom can be pretty chaotic, but compared to that of America it's really heaven.

But yeah, you are right about long term teaching here, and a long term future with no savings nor retirement plans. Which is why after nearly a decade here I'm taking this experience back home with me to teach in the US, in a few weeks. It was certainly worth it. But given what I described above, it'll have to be with part time uni courses and tutoring centers, which piecemeal could provide for a decent salary. Again, it's not so easy. The full time, secure, well-benefitted teaching job that paid well, was from an America long ago.

Anyway, back to the topic. I also teach many Chinese online, and they've told me of the many rumors being blasted about the dangers of Thailand, and not to travel here. Yet other than that one student murder incident, I tell them it's relatively safe, and the Chinese have been arriving by the planeload. We then both conclude that it's the Chinese govt trying to prevent their citizenry and capital from fleeing their country.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, gearbox said:

Great for the business. The Chinese come to shop and eat, they are not much interested in water activities. They are spending well at the restaurants, not like the riff raffs sharing a portion of fried rice and a bottle of water. The flights from Chengdu to Samui seem fully operational now, in fact there seem to be heaps of inbound flights to Samui now.

I'll take high volume Hi-So tours from China any day. Send the riff raffs sharing a portion of fried rice and a bottle of water packing! We don't need them. ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

But in with those zero tours are the Chinese criminals and scammers which we seem to be reading about every day now...

Oh, wait a minute,  I forgot all those seized assets they keep getting from those Chinese mobster must be benefiting some HiSo Thais...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:33 AM, daveAustin said:

Had similar experiences over the years—kids pissing directly into pool, pushing n shoving, excessive noise and general bad manners etc etc. They don’t give a F about anyone else and generally make for awful tourists, creating angst, inconvenience and annoyance for all. And yes, their presence rarely benefits any other Thai bar those in on the scam. That Xi character’s got a lot to answer for for letting them out!

Interesting read on Amazon Kindle…

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2023 at 7:35 AM, phetphet said:

Last time I was in Thailand Tops was way more expensive than high-end supermarkets in Scandinavia.

From what I can see here in Phuket tourist arrivals are going down booking have slowed right down, what will happen this low season? We used to get many independent Chinese tourist in low season so far we have only had one couple