Brit in intensive care after Thailand moped crash as family can't afford to get him home

webfact

On 4/4/2023 at 12:29 PM, webfact said:

insurers said they will not pay £160,000 to return him to the UK on a special air ambulance as they believe he was not wearing a helmet at the time

Yep, this is a no BRAINER.

No helmet, no pay.

I read the gofundme page is saying that 'it was not sure if helmet was worn'.

It's clear, no helmet was worn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cricky said:

It's clear, no helmet was worn.

That not clear either.

1. Was there no helmet ?

2. If there was a helmet did it come off because of the impact ?

3. If there was a helmet was it removed by first responders ?

4. Are the family talking porky pies (they were not on scene so have no factual knowledge) to garner sympathy and in turn more money ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

That not clear either.

1. Was there no helmet ?

2. If there was a helmet did it come off because of the impact ?

3. If there was a helmet was it removed by first responders ?

4. Are the family talking porky pies (they were not on scene so have no factual knowledge) to garner sympathy and in turn more money ?

As soon as an accident happens, phones are off and running, pictures and videos.

There's footage of the incident only the naive think differently.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, Dan O said:

You hope it does but won't know unless you actually had a similar accident 

Yes, it would be tragic to be involved in an accident and get caught by a clause saying one should have been wearing appropriate safety gear. Forgot the gauntlets... no pay!

On 4/3/2023 at 11:16 PM, Emdog said:

Thailand has perfectly good hospitals, no medical reason for him to return to UK (other than national health program to pay). As a bonus, Thailand probably has far more experience with motorcycle head injuries than the UK.

Would the home health program cover an accident in a foreign country?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Would the home health program cover an accident in a foreign country?

Not being from the UK, my home insurance from the US would cover me as long as I did not stay here in the country for over 6 months, and now that I do live here on a semi permanent basis the insurance I have has changed and will cover me.  It appears his insurance carrier is unsure if a helmet was worn, and it will take an appeal, and then some to possibly correct this.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, it would be tragic to be involved in an accident and get caught by a clause saying one should have been wearing appropriate safety gear. Forgot the gauntlets... no pay!

Actually the safety gear is only 1 aspect considered. There could be other issues that kick in that people don't consider depending on the policy which is my point to those that claim they have full coverage without question. The insurance company is in control of determining exclusions and then it's up to you to fight them over it, which is generally a long drawn out process

• Like 2

One aspect of this situation not being discussed is that it's centered around not affording to get him home. What about the hospital bill being racked up for the time in hospital. I'm sure it's not cheap and escalating daily. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

One aspect of this situation not being discussed is that it's centered around not affording to get him home. What about the hospital bill being racked up for the time in hospital. I'm sure it's not cheap and escalating daily. 

The gofundme will take care of the bill.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If one takes the position that the insurer would need to prove no helmet use then they are in the wrong since it appears no such proof exists.

"...it appears no such proof exists".

How can you conclude that "no such proof exists" based only on the one-sided report in the Daily Mirror (a rag that pays the family for this type of story) from a family who are doing nothing but  soliciting cash donations?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 4:38 PM, John Drake said:

Which means he is uninsured for the accident that took place.

No, it doesn't. The helmet wearing is in dispute, that's all. You'd be saying your keyboard warrior self would know for sure that he hadn't worn one and that's ridiculous.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

No, it doesn't. The helmet wearing is in dispute, that's all. You'd be saying your keyboard warrior self would know for sure that he hadn't worn one and that's ridiculous.

How do you know that the helmet wearing is in dispute? 

The family did not say he was wearing a helmet. 

The family said that the (yet to be named) insurance company does not believe he was wearing a helmet. 

The insurance company (if there even is one) has not said anything. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cricky said:

The gofundme will take care of the bill.

If enough money is raised.

What will happen if the GoFundMe does not raise enough money?

It is a genuine question, as each day he is in hospital will cost another X thousand baht.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

If enough money is raised.

What will happen if the GoFundMe does not raise enough money?

It is a genuine question, as each day he is in hospital will cost another X thousand baht.

A bill does not get paid. Go figure.

• Confused 1

In regards to bike accident policies, many also require you to have a motorcycle license in your home country  in order for the policy to be valid.  Just buying some extra policy in Thailand may or may not require that.  I know many tourists over look that and get stung by a bill

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Funny....I read on the other thread that he had died. But if not, then it still doesn't change my cruel view much.

The family should be planning to have the plug pulled and let nature take its course, and then have him buried here.  Frankly, if you or your family can't pay for the treatment, then pull the plug. Why should Thailand or the insurance company pay for this 'treatment' when he has minimal chances of ever making a full recovery and ever being able to earn his living again, to repay the debts caused by his foolishness, law breaking and arrogance..

For me it is all about odds. If the chance is less than 90%, that he'll pull through then go for it, raise all the money you can and I'll even donate.....but if the chances are 10%, then pull the plug and let him die. It may sound callous, but the guy had been drinking, wasn't wearing a helmet, was talking on the phone with his g/f etc etc. He or his family, who seems so interested in grifting for money should pay, for the treatment and if they want transport him to die in the UK let them pay for an air ambulance. If they can't find the money, sorry but life is tough and sometimes you have tough decisions to make. The family said they wanted to be with him.....well 200000 quid goes a long way to keeping his parents here in style for a good long time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with dying here in Thailand and this avoiding the excessive,  expense of air ambulances. The begging is really unseemly and the longer it goes on the more the price goes up. It started out at 30,000 and now is up to 200,000. Personally I don't wish them good luck in raising it. 

This guy is not a victim, except of his own stupidity, and society should not be coerced by sob stories to bail idiots out. It maybe cruel or callous....but that is what I believe. Frankly, as the father of 5 kids he should have been much  more responsible and not go out drinking, driving while talking on the phone.

Two different people.

Edited by Myran
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How do you know that the helmet wearing is in dispute? 

The family did not say he was wearing a helmet. 

The family said that the (yet to be named) insurance company does not believe he was wearing a helmet. 

The insurance company (if there even is one) has not said anything. 

Sorry about that term. I change it to "the insurance company is claiming that no helmet was worn."

Surely he is covered by the 300 bath tourism fee for tourist insurance now being levied at airports???? If a tourist can't pay his or her hospital bills or has no insurance then won't this fee cover any medical costs. That was how this was promoted if memory serves me correct.

"Citing a study by Thailand's ministry of tourism and sports, Ms Traisulee said Thailand is the first country in the world to collect a tourism fee and at the same time provide welfare benefits for tourists, including a personal accident insurance protection."

On 4/4/2023 at 3:48 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Most areas are fairly quiet in the middle of the night, though

Night time is the most dangerous time too. It's when traffic is moving and lots of drunk and stoned people behind the wheel. 

On 4/6/2023 at 8:55 AM, jacko45k said:

Insurance companies usually trawl small print to wriggle out of paying. He probably didn't have a licence either.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, jonclark said:

Surely he is covered by the 300 bath tourism fee for tourist insurance now being levied at airports????

Tourism fee doesn’t come in to effect until June 1st but even if it were I’m sure there are limits to how much cover it will provide. 

Maybe emergency/stabilising assistance but after that you’ll need to pay yourself. 

On 4/4/2023 at 4:23 PM, kwilco said:

You are making baseless assumptions - Thailand has dreadful hospitals and care is dependant on ability to pay. Ine of the most serious factors in RTIs is that Thailand has no proper emergency services, no trained first responders and no uniform, centralised ambulance services.

Thailand's hospitals are as good as most western countries. Treatment protocols are basically the same.

• Thumbs Up 1