Jomtien Immigration Renamed "The Gates Of Hell"

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I don't know. Perhaps they get more serious about this balance check after 3 months.

I renewed my extension 3/4 weeks ago and was not given the paper to come back. In previous years I have been. Since it is so random I don't think you risk anything - anyway your bank book will prove the relevant funds so as others have said I personally would not bother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

I was there a few days ago to meet the agent for my one year Elite Visa extension because they now require a photo of you right in front of Jomtien immigration.

This is an interesting development, I did my TE 1 year extension in November (I think) and there was no photo.

I hear the Elite visa is popular with the Chinese, there's been a lot of talk about them abusing visas - I have to wonder if this is why the photo requirement has now appeared and why they're doing it.

I wonder if it's to combat passport sharing among overstayers.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is an interesting development, I did my TE 1 year extension in November (I think) and there was no photo.

I hear the Elite visa is popular with the Chinese, there's been a lot of talk about them abusing visas - I have to wonder if this is why the photo requirement has now appeared and why they're doing it.

I wonder if it's to combat passport sharing among overstayers.

Possibly. I did hear that as well and that they would be cracking down somewhat on people who apply for it. Could also just be my agent being overly paranoid as well. I was also told by Thai Elite that a certification letter is no longer required for the extension at Jomtien Immigration but the agent insisted I ask for one anyway. Also couldn't have my backpack showing in the photo at all.

Very strange for a completely legitimate extension that I could have done myself while there if I really wanted to. Anyway got my passport the next day with the one year extension without issue and that's all that matters. Wouldn't exactly say it was 2600 baht well spent but glad I got it sorted before/after the Songkran holidays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

Apparently it is supposed to be free but it has always been 300 baht at Jomtien - well at least for last 10 or more years.

Has anyone ever stood up for their rights? It is a free service. Report them to the hotline. Phone your local MP. 

I did this in Khon Kaen, when they had a tip box, and it was removed immediately.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

i lived in Jomtien (Moscow) for a few months, needed a Res Cert for same reason.  Went to a recce.  Sod that, no bloody chance.  An agent did the whole job for 1,000 baht.  Be careful what agent you get, some are rip off merchants

1 hour ago, topt said:

Apparently it is supposed to be free but it has always been 300 baht at Jomtien - well at least for last 10 or more years.

it is free, but it takes a couple of weeks.  the charge is for same day service

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I started using a visa agent 7 years ago, I know it's not legal but as I'm 80 years old it suits me fine. Just a question for the detractors of visa agents, are you all squeaky clean in everything you do. Even buying booze out of hours at the shop around the corner is illegal. What about how most of us met our partners, isn't prostitution illegal too?

It is legal. IO exercising their legal discretion. Also use of agent is needed for those of us who have age related mobility problems 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, orchis said:

Pictures, please.

This is my best dress that I have with a black shirt with longer sleeves. I only use it for the immigration. The same outfit for very, very many years. But it is too hot for me. Close to the immigration I always change the shirt and change it immediately back to my stylisch Singha T-Shirt afterwards. Good that they don't enforce the long trousers. I would die. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I started using a visa agent 7 years ago, I know it's not legal but as I'm 80 years old it suits me fine. Just a question for the detractors of visa agents, are you all squeaky clean in everything you do. Even buying booze out of hours at the shop around the corner is illegal. What about how most of us met our partners, isn't prostitution illegal too?

If I could afford it, I'd use an agent too. I don't knock those that can pay the high cost, just envy them.

Edited by jesimps
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I suspect the Immigration officers get tired of dealing with sexpats, who have no intention of integrating into Thai society, ignoring things like 'greng jai' and 'boon koon', or not even knowing what they mean. Lack of obeisance to civil servants, having a prostitute in tow, etc. To be fair, most immigration in other countries would feel the same disdain at foreigners like that. 

Having a job at Jomtien immigration probably wasn't the smartest move they could make then. Someone who has an immediate aversion to a decent percentage of their every day customer base shouldn't be in a public facing position.

When knowing what 'greng jai' or 'boon koon' mean is a requirement of a visa then maybe you'll have a point.

Edited by Woof999
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, jesimps said:

If I could afford it, I'd use an agent too. I don't knock those that can pay the high cost, just envy them.

I'd say that's pretty common on this forum but few are as honest and not in denial to say it as you. 

19 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I was there a few days ago to meet the agent for my one year Elite Visa extension because they now require a photo of you right in front of Jomtien immigration. I paid an agent to do it even though I paid 600k baht for my completely legit EV and supposedly can get express service by asking for a certain immigration officer once I enter because I loathe having to set foot near that immigration. Even for the short time I was there and even though I never even had to enter the building, I hated every minute. Miserable, rude people everywhere and a mess of disorganization. Hopefully the last time I need to go there or at least not for another year guaranteed.

I got there at 7am and was 7th in line.  As usual, a gaggle of unprepared foreigners waiting.  After officers "helped" those 6 in front, they all moved off and I became first in line.  Got my ext. just 29 minutes after their opening time of 08:30am.  The beef of bodies by that time was full... all outside chairs taken and bodies continuing to arrive on foot.  I do not feel sorry for those ill-prepared whackadoodles.  Visiting this place is THE TOP stress point of my entire year!, but I have always received professional service as a result.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Just done my visa renewal on retirement. It is busy and somewhat disorganised outside, hopefully that will improve. The guy who checks your documents was the same guy as last year efficient and good at his job. If you have your docs its done quickly 45 mins from going in to going out. However there was a guy who kept shouting at people outside at the entrance door to sit down and wear mask.

• Thumbs Up 1