Sleep problems

Irrumator

About 4 weeks ago I started having problems with sleep. I'd get off OK (with some clonazepam (Rivotril), which has had to creep up and up), but I have  constantly starting waking up about 2.45 am.  Not always for the bathroom, but once I was awake, it was very difficult to get back off. I'd normally wake about 6 to 6.30 which was fine.

However, recently I went to the doc and explained the problem again. I have had to increase the clonazepam to 4 mgs a night, pretty high yet I always wake up after about 3 to 3 1/2 hours sleep and can't get back off at all.  I know older people sleep less (I'm 74) but this sudden onset is a real PITA.  

The last few days I've just got up (this morning 1.45 am, yesterday 2.15, the day before 2.45.  I potter on my PC, maybe watch a film and after breakfast go for a snooze.  However this is really getting to me and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has this problem and how they deal with it.

Tips very welcome, but please don't say have a skinful before bed!  

• Like 1

avoid food and screens a few hours before sleep
turn off any blue LED lights, dim any lighting
wake up early, don't have an afternoon nap
weed is now legal, you do not need to smoke it but you can ingest it
which takes an hour or so before it starts to take effect
DM me if you need advice on weed oil/butter/edibles hoe to dose etc.

• Like 1

My approach has been to not worry about it. I am up 2 or 3 times a night with BPH. If I don't feel tired, I may be on the internet at 2 or 3 am for an hour before going back to bed. I nap during the day if I feel like it.

All medications must be metabolized by the kidneys and liver. For that reason, I limit my use of them as much as possible. I quit using anti-depressants 10 years ago, anti-inflammatories 6 years ago, and anti-hypertensives 2 years ago. Everyone is different, I have quit alcohol because it disrupts sleep anyway, it's a diuretic.

Diet and exercise were important in enabling me to quit.

If I really want a good night's sleep, I may take a Codiphen or half a hash cookie once a week, no more. Yes, they are processed by the kidneys and liver too.

I can't remember who said the pharmaceutical industry has no interest in making a drug that cures a health condition permanently. They prefer developing pills that create repeat customers.

• Love It 2

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I too suffered similar sleep issues.

Doc now has me on low dose Xanax, that's me lights out for 8 hours !!

Xanax doesn't touch me.  Even 4 mgs Rivotril only has me out for 3-4 hours.

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Quick dissolve sublingual melatonin works well for me with middle of the night/too early morning  waking.  I keep it by the bedside. Takes about 10-15 minutes and I'm back asleep. Need to have at least 3 hours left to sleep before taking though, or else I will have trouble getting up.

I use Natrol brand 5 mg, you van get it on Lazada

Natrol / Melatonin / 5 Mg / 90 Tablets / Strawberry

I've heard a lot about this in America where it seems very popular.  

I'm not sure if it's legal or available in the UK, but I'll check.

However if Lazada or Shopee has it, I'll give it a try.  What sort of price for how many?

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Quick dissolve sublingual melatonin works well for me with middle of the night/too early morning  waking.  I keep it by the bedside. Takes about 10-15 minutes and I'm back asleep. Need to have at least 3 hours left to sleep before taking though, or else I will have trouble getting up.

I use Natrol brand 5 mg, you van get it on Lazada

Natrol / Melatonin / 5 Mg / 90 Tablets / Strawberry

Melatonin does absolutely nothing for me. I can't become addicted to morphine either. OTOH, give me Demerol and they'd be hauling me down from the ceiling.

Everyone is different, I guess it's a matter of individuals finding what works for them.

I have heard kratom is a sedative in higher doses. I haven't tried it myself for sleep, as I understand it is addictive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for that.  I see they come in different dosages.  I assume it would be better to start small and test  it out rather than before starting on the maximum dose?

Or could you suggest a recommended  starting level for a 74 year old male, 65 kgs body weight?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Irrumator said:

Thanks for that.  I see they come in different dosages.  I assume it would be better to start small and test  it out rather than before starting on the maximum dose?

Or could you suggest a recommended  starting level for a 74 year old male, 65 kgs body weight?

Everyone is different.

There is no specified maximum dose or recommended dose but conventionally, people do nto usually take more than 10mg at once.

It is a substance naturally present in the body.

For me, I need larger doses. I take 10 mg before bedtime and if I waken in the middle of the night I take another 5,mg sublingual fast acting. But that is me and everyone responds differently.

I would suggest you try 5 mg. But you can try 3 if you prefer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Irrumator said:

However, recently I went to the doc and explained the problem again. I have had to increase the clonazepam to 4 mgs a night, pretty high yet I always wake up after about 3 to 3 1/2 hours sleep and can't get back off at all.  

Well, you're addicted and dependent already. Best thing to do, unpleasant as it will be, is to taper off the benzo and quit. Start over w/ other methods as suggested here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Exercise before bed, don't eat for two hours before bedtime and practise intermittent fasting.

I suppose if you wipe yourself out with a very stenuous exercise session it might help you to get to sleep, but if the exercise is too extreme, it will also interfere with your sleep.

If you do mild exercise it should be many hours before you sleep as it usually makes you feel more active.

However, a regular exercise program suited to your age (not too stenuous) will generally improve the quality of sleep.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Get a going to sleep time routine, if i get up in the night fine, go for a piss, don't put lights on, back to bed and sleep, 2 or 3 times no problem, 6-7 hours sleep seems to be my sweetspot 

I started using a bottle next to the bed to cut down on the interuption of a trip to the bathroom. My sweetspot is about 5 hours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Irrumator said:

Tips very welcome, but please don't say have a skinful before bed!  

I don't know your personal situation, but awhile back I had some financial distress which made it impossible to sleep more then 4 hours a night - for months on end. Stange thing is that I never felt sleepy either. 

1 minute ago, homeseeker said:

Thank you, Sheryl. Worth a try.

My doctor gave me Lorazepam but melatonin more natural....right?

Absolutely. As well as nonaddictive. 

Lorazepam is a benzo. Addictive and one builds a tolerance such that it stops working. If yoy must take it keep to glthe rule I mentioned before. 

• Thumbs Up 1