Going the wrong way! Motorcyclist killed after collision in Phuket

webfact

1681155056705-1024x577.jpg

77kaoded Thai Cap: Motorcyclist going the wrong way killed

"Yorn Sorn" in Thai, literally meaning to go the wrong way of the arrow, is the term used to describe a common Thai habit.

Driving in the wrong direction on the roads.

In Phuket a motorcyclist paid with his life after doing just that.

1681155136634.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Ten bystanders rushed to help as the 43 year old man got wedged under the fender of a car. But their efforts were in vain when he died in hospital.

The accident happened near the "Everything for 20 baht" shop on Thepkasatri Road in Thalang.

1681155171227.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The victim was named as Bunrit, reported 77kaoded.

A man called Musaha, 33, was the driver of the Toyota car and was waiting at the scene to explain what happened as rescue services helped the motorcyclist.

He will be checked for drug consumption and CCTV will be examined to verify his story that the motorcyclist was going the wrong way.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Very sad but completely avoidable.  Many cultures would view riding the wrong way on a road as making an accident inevitable, but in Thailand it is normal.  Many probably feel it's the fault of the driver for not seeing him.

A very difficult issue to address as a result.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yet another reminder to have a dash-cam!

Otherwise no one will believe what you see on the roads of this country.

I will buy a new one with front and rear.

Great idea, I installed dash cams on the front and back of my vehicle and keep them running every time I drive. You never know what the crazy Thai driver will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The very reason to have dash-cams on our car (and motorcycles)....

The need to have one is obvious but what if they don't was my question ......

I guess IF there is no dash-cam and no CCTV evidence the Police will have to carry out their own investigation... Which, in Thailand would usually mean the surviving and seemingly wealthier party pays an arbitrary amount to the victims family. 

This decision may also depend on what the surviving party states, how feasible his ‘excuse’ or comments and what any witnesses, if any, state. 

In the past the ‘amount’ has been about 50,000 baht (Wife’s family had to pay the of the deceased 50,000 baht when their driver killed a man crossing the highway on his bicycle.... apparently the poor lad (deceased) was mentally disabled and had tired to cross the 3 lane highway on his bike and didn’t look)...  Clearly nothing the driver could have done, nevertheless, thats the way things ‘work-out’ in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Very sad but completely avoidable.  Many cultures would view riding the wrong way on a road as making an accident inevitable, but in Thailand it is normal.  Many probably feel it's the fault of the driver for not seeing him.

A very difficult issue to address as a result.

Indeed.... Is there a day that goes by for any of us when if on the roads we don’t see someone going the wrong way down the road ??? (on the wrong side of the road). 

Where as, in our home countries, is the are day that goes by where we have ??

This is the stark difference in attitudes towards safety... 

Another comparison: 

I know very very few Thai’s who have not been involved in a drink driving related accident/ 

I know no foreigners who have. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yet another reminder to have a dash-cam!

Otherwise no one will believe what you see on the roads of this country.

I will buy a new one with front and rear.

What about the sides?

I had a scooter run directly into my driver's side door why I was stationary at a stop sign.

• Haha 2

Too lazy to go to the next U-turn ( which might be far away, thanks to the genius people planning roads in Thailand ) makes them going against the traffic. A miracle that not more riders die that way. Brain - dead they are anyhow already, when doing so.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess IF there is no dash-cam and no CCTV evidence the Police will have to carry out their own investigation

Exactly my point, the police should be able to tell from scrape marks & people reports etc. how on earth did they do it before CCTV? - Rhetorical 

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know very very few Thai’s who have not been involved in a drink driving related accident/ 

I know no foreigners who have. 

I would bet everything I have that there is not a single family in Thailand who hasn't had a member killed or injured on the roads.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And this follows a story earlier today of an accident involving another motorcyclist going the wrong way in Pattaya. At least this driver killed himself before he killed others. This is a good thing.

True, Darwin would be pleased ..........