One motorcyclist dead every hour - RTP turn to cute cop to get bikers/pillion passengers to wear helmets

webfact

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

and just how is someone going to know if they are riding their bike in the dark and their tail light goes out?

Simply by checking the lights etc every day. It isn't rocket science.

When I was in the RAF in Germany part of the kit we all had to carry was a set of light bulbs.

If you drove with a light out either the military police or the German civil police would stop you, and woe betide you if you had no spare bulb kit.

You were fined by both and got points on your licence.

No licence or insurance and your posting was terminated and you were sent back to the UK in disgrace.

Fail the breathalyser and you were jailed, court martialed and sent back to the UK in disgrace to the crappiest place that they could send you. It also stayed on your records until you were discharged.

It did not matter what rank you held.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been reading everyone spouting off about helmets for at least nine years. My wife and I rode to the US for at least 10 years and logged over 100,000 miles on   separate bikes. I guarantee you she could outride anyone on this forum.

Why? Helmet free states ! One of the only reasons to God bless America.  Individual choice. Personally I'd ratther die quickly  than have a brain bucket keep me alive as a non functioning paraplegic.  Personal choice. 

Oh! The Thais are people too ! They make the same choices ( their unenforceable laws notwithstanding) . Sanctimonious condescension from pious all knowing ex.....? foreigners only speaks to a colonial mindset that believes nobody can figure out how to run their culture unless it mirrors my own. 

None of us are getting out of here alive.  Fun and feedom of choice in between.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Shwaman said:

I've been reading everyone spouting off about helmets for at least nine years. My wife and I rode to the US for at least 10 years and logged over 100,000 miles on   separate bikes. I guarantee you she could outride anyone on this forum.

Why? Helmet free states ! One of the only reasons to God bless America.  Individual choice. Personally I'd ratther die quickly  than have a brain bucket keep me alive as a non functioning paraplegic.  Personal choice. 

Oh! The Thais are people too ! They make the same choices ( their unenforceable laws notwithstanding) . Sanctimonious condescension from pious all knowing ex.....? foreigners only speaks to a colonial mindset that believes nobody can figure out how to run their culture unless it mirrors my own. 

Fair point.

Would be nice if they'd make parents put helmets on their kids though 

And that is a fair point as well. Poverty elicits some very poor choices in any culture.  I wish it were different myself.  But the culture needs to adopt changes from within. Maybe from observation,  maybe from education. No one wants to see innocent children die under any circumstance. 

22 minutes ago, Shwaman said:

Motorcycle Helmets - Injury Facts (nsc.org)

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

You had it tough in the RAF

FB_IMG_1681480259949.jpg

But I loved the compo sausages and the tinned bacon.

Didn't like the oatmeal blocks though.

I used to drink a lot of Asbach Uralt brandy and wine in those days.

I also enjoyed 2 weeks camping every year during the wine festing season.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Simply by checking the lights etc every day. It isn't rocket science.

When I was in the RAF in Germany part of the kit we all had to carry was a set of light bulbs.

If you drove with a light out either the military police or the German civil police would stop you, and woe betide you if you had no spare bulb kit.

You were fined by both and got points on your licence.

No licence or insurance and your posting was terminated and you were sent back to the UK in disgrace.

Fail the breathalyser and you were jailed, court martialed and sent back to the UK in disgrace to the crappiest place that they could send you. It also stayed on your records until you were discharged.

It did not matter what rank you held.

That's the way it should be Bill, but over here the police are just not interested, the bosses are too busy prancing about with their fancy ranks instead of sending their men out on the roads and doing something about the dreadful road statistics here.

10 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

...family out on the bike with the young 1 stood on the footwell in front of pops holding onto the bars, obstructing his view 1 was even eating ice cream while riding none with helmets. ...

But we were only coming back from the 7 eleven.

BTW, you sound like you're new here?

Impossible to enforce 45 million people riding without a helmet everyday.  Up here in Issan people rarely have working headlights at night.   

However going the "Cute RTP" route shows that the BIB  has it's heart in the right place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

But I loved the compo sausages and the tinned bacon.

Didn't like the oatmeal blocks though.

I used to drink a lot of Asbach Uralt brandy and wine in those days.

I also enjoyed 2 weeks camping every year during the wine festing season.

????

Stewed beef was a favourite of mine, cooked in a mess tin on a hexamin burner!

Edited by roo860
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

An infographic called on people to get a full face quality helmet that fits well. It should be bright for nighttime visibility and changed every 3 - 5 years.

Meanwhile the two women are wearing helmets that are not full-face helmets and one of them is grey colored! Perfect for nighttime or dusk riding! Not to mention that the strap on the helmet of the "Lt-Col (lady) Dr" is quite loose....

20 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Amazing Thailand did a good job of getting people to ware a mask, why not helmets? I also think them helmets for a couple hundred Baht should be banned 

Has to do with fear....

People are afraid of dying in an 'unfamiliar way'.

Dying in a plane crash, for example, quite unfamiliar, and creates lots of terror in people's mind.

COVID death are unfamiliar, and creates fear in the mind of people, of any nationality.

Dying on the road, very very familiar here..

It creates no fear at all. All these deaths on the roads create no emotion in the mind of Thai people...

And certainly no fear of being arrested and fined by police (sic).

All about fear...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

It's sad that so many people have to die because of riding any type of a motorcycle. I blame the police 100%. They come out with all these different rules & laws that would help bring down the accidents, but none of the laws work, because the POLICE NEVER enforce them. Yes, I know they love performing check points, but that only cures a small percent of the problems. I think they need to earn their money and start patrolling. Pull everyone over that is breaking the law. Just the other day I seen two policemen on a motorbike stopped at a red light and three motorbikes that were next to them, their riders had no helmets on at all. Another motorbike had three passages riding on it. What did the police do = NOTHING... as always. I feel they will always have this problem, until the police change the way they do things.

Several years ago we were in a queue outside a school as the police directed the kids coming out. I said to the Wife that there were three, or more on a bike, most had no helmets, and some were clearly underage. Why was the policeman not doing anything. Her answer...........it is not his job, he is only there to help them get out of school. Needless to say after another ten minutes arguing that as a policeman, it was his job to uphold traffic laws, I just gave up. You will never cure them of this mentality.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Howabout a big fine for not having a working rear light?

Even in Bangkok this can be a very big problem after dark.

In other provinces you can guarantee almost 1 in 3 motorbikes have lighting issues.

In other provinces you can guarantee almost 1 in 3 motorbikes have lighting issues.....Nah More Like 80% Of them up here !!

On 4/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, ChipButty said:

Amazing Thailand did a good job of getting people to ware a mask, why not helmets? I also think them helmets for a couple hundred Baht should be banned 

Bet them 200 baht helmets have save thousands of lives over the years.

What should they pay for a helmet 2000 ?

Would be even less people wearing a helmet.

if you stuff the price up.

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I visited Vietnam for about 2 weeks last fall.  I don't recall noticing anyone without a helmet. 

They had mixed results but awareness improved.  http://millionssaved.cgdev.org/case-studies/vietnams-comprehensive-helmet-law

Communist countries tend to have a society that obeys their leadership.  I think Thailand is just lax on practically everything when it comes down to motorcycles and cars.

I just brought a hose extension for Songkran to a friend's house.   Nobody was wearing a helmet, however I have grown accustomed to it.  

It doesn't bother me either way. 

2 hours ago, quake said:
On 4/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, ChipButty said:

Bet them 200 baht helmets have save thousands of lives over the years.

What should they pay for a helmet 2000 ?

Would be even less people wearing a helmet.

if you stuff the price up.

Cheap helmets for cheap heads. Mine cost equivalent of 20,000 baht. It’s only got to work once…and better still if it never has to.. ???? 

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 8:51 PM, GuyDow said:

I guess the ladies are far too cute to follow the recommendation to wear full face helmets. 

I sure wish some of the old farang codgers would wear full face helmets.. It certainly would help beautify the streets of Thailand ????