Programmable aircon remote

tgw

I am looking for a programmable aircon remote that will allow me to set fixed on / off times for every day.

I toyed with the timer function of my LG Inverter, but it seems the settings wear off after they were triggered.

So I'm looking for some sort of programmable universal AC remote that will switch the aircon on and off every day at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can't add new features to an air conditioning unit just by getting a new remote control.

If your current remote control doesn't give you the option, chances are that your air con simply doesn't support that feature.

• Thanks 1

Learning something here. I suggested to the Mrs setting the timer on our newish aircon units so that the temperature is more pleasant when we arrive home each day around 10pm from our shop. Mrs didn't know there was a timer incorporated. Never used the function so didn't know it was 'once only'. I understand that it is possible to turn things on/off remotely using your mobile 'phone. Have been advised that the technology is very expensive so never pursued this.   

Not cheap, but something like this? 

https://www.amazon.com/Sensibo-Conditioner-Controller-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07MTGD3D9/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=WiFi%2Btimers%2Bfor%2Bair%2Bconditioners&qid=1681449398&sr=8-6&th=1

Also maybe look at Belkin Wemo smart plugs. You can turn them on and off from an app on your phone over wifi.

Also lots of different universal remotes on Lazada.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JayClay said:

You can't add new features to an air conditioning unit just by getting a new remote control.

If your current remote control doesn't give you the option, chances are that your air con simply doesn't support that feature.

The remote won't add a function which doesn't exist.

But an 3rd party remote control might pretend to press some buttons at a certain time of the day.

Logitech Harmony is such a 3rd party remote control. I never tried it with an AC, but it might do the job. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The remote won't add a function which doesn't exist.

But an 3rd party remote control might pretend to press some buttons at a certain time of the day.

Logitech Harmony is such a 3rd party remote control. I never tried it with an AC, but it might do the job. 

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

and then you realize the only thing that is needed is an aircon remote that sends an IR signal based on a clock.

it's all in the remote, no need for the aircon itself to support anything.

Most a/c units have a simple infra red remote.

To achieve what you are both suggesting would require the remote to be pointed directly at the receiver at all times.

(edit.... Apparently you're fine with that, so... Okay ????)

Edited by JayClay
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Not cheap, but something like this? 

https://www.amazon.com/Sensibo-Conditioner-Controller-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07MTGD3D9/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=WiFi%2Btimers%2Bfor%2Bair%2Bconditioners&qid=1681449398&sr=8-6&th=1

Also maybe look at Belkin Wemo smart plugs. You can turn them on and off from an app on your phone over wifi.

that's way too advanced for my purpose, I don't need wifi or anything. just a remote on a table, pointing towards the AC and sending the signal at the right time

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It might be a function of the remote.

Or it might be a function inside the AC unit.

Both options are possible.

yes.

but in my case I have the AC already, it doesn't support that function, so it has to be in the remote.

besides, incase of a power cut, the AC unsit would have to have an internal battery, akin to a computer's CMOS battery in order for it to keep the current time.

so it's much simpler to have the function in the remote which runs on batteries anyway

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Most a/c units have a simple infra red remote.

To achieve what you are both suggesting would require the remote to be pointed directly at the receiver at all times.

yes, that's the plan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No

I know that many people point any remote at the receiver, often with outstretched arm.

But in most cases the remote works just fine even if it is not pointed in that direction. Just try it. 

cropped-view-african-american-woman-outs

• Thumbs Up 1

i need this
not needing any new functions
just want to set it so i dont have to pick up the remotes EVERYDAY
something so simple, it is baffling why none have this
as i am on off grid solar
i would also like to program the fans too to adjust throughout the day
basically full fan during peak sunlight hours, then back to auto or night mode

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

would require the remote to be pointed directly at the receiver at all times.

perfect.
really not an issue if you no longer need to pick up the remote

what onemorefarang said is true also
i usually just press the buttons on the remote while its on the wall
pointing up at the ceiling

Edited by patman30

8 minutes ago, tgw said:

that's way too advanced for my purpose, I don't need wifi or anything. just a remote on a table, pointing towards the AC and sending the signal at the right time

only other option i have thought is put a timer switch on the power cable going to AC
many AC will resume after power loss

2 minutes ago, patman30 said:

only other option i have thought is put a timer switch on the power cable going to AC
many AC will resume after power loss

that would require installation, I got no exposed cables.

and it relies on the hope that both the AC and the timer resume after power loss.

12 minutes ago, tgw said:

relies on the hope that both the AC and the timer resume after power loss.

yeh not for eveyone, i got access to my electrics....????‍♂️
the timer would obviously resume, as you would not need the aircon timer
to test if aircon resumes, just turn it on then knock the breaker/mains off and on again????

I have Sensibo Sky controllers for all the a/c units in the house. It's not a cheap option, but I can control all the units via the phone app, Alexa, or set timers. I can see which units are on and their settings and change them if necessary.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I have Sensibo Sky controllers for all the a/c units in the house. It's not a cheap option, but I can control all the units via the phone app, Alexa, or set timers. I can see which units are on and their settings and change them if necessary.

there's no wifi in the location I want to run the AC in.

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

AIRCONET is a small USB jobbie, less than Bht 600 which after programming will control most aspects of an air con from an app on your phone. had one for years. And I think it responds to Google or Alexa too.

AirConet Remote Control Air WiFi for All Air Conditioning Brands - With Last Status Memory On

yes, that thing will work, thank you for the suggestion

• Thumbs Up 1