How do you prepare a steak?

Hummin

Inspired by the steak tread where to buy cheap steak in Pattaya, I wanted to start this tread.

What kind of steak do you prefere, where do you buy it, and how do you prepare it, and cook it? 

If you buy any bbq sauce or mix, please post a link, picture or where to buy. 

Hope to see some good tips here.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Inspired by the steak tread where to buy cheap steak in Pattaya, I wanted to start this tread.

What kind of steak do you prefere, where do you buy it, and how do you prepare it, and cook it? 

If you buy any bbq sauce or mix, please post a link, picture or where to buy. 

Hope to see some good tips here.

I buy my steaks from the wet market where they sell the beef. Thais seem to classify their beef by "soft steaks" or "tough steaks". Only by the "soft" for steaks, the hard would be for stews, etc.  I think the cost has been about 270/300 baht, have the seller trim off all of the gristle and most of the fat, At home season with salt and pepper and put into a lightly greased pan. Cook to desired doneness then remove and let rest for 5 or 10 minutes. 

Of course, if you have time to cook it over charcoal on a grill the steak should turn out better. I cook my steaks medium-rare and don't use any bbq sauce. 

Tip#84: Don't cook a steak straight from the fridge. Let it settle for an hour at room temperature first.

Tip#363: If serving a rare steak, after cooking and resting, serve the steak on a plate that's been in the fridge for an hour first.

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Aren't we supposed to ask for bleu at a fancy steak joint?

i didn't say fancy or French????

if you go to a fancy steak place or a French place
and the chef does not know what a blue steak is
you should probably just leave.

Edited by patman30

I use vinegear, olive oil, garlic, honey, pepper, sometimes sweet peppers powder, and line on local beef steaks 24 hours in fridge followed by two hours +- in room temperature to make them tender before smoke or loong cook them in my smoker. 6 - 7 hours depending on thickness of the steak. 

Best investment ever was a smoker, and cant go wrong with it. Have to agree about the air fryer is good if do not have time to prepare. 

3 minutes ago, patman30 said:

i didn't say fancy or French????

if you go to a fancy steak place or a French place
and the chef does not know what a blue steak is
you should probably just leave.

I'm a peasant so fancy and fine mean the same thing to me. But I guess you can have fine dining, ie. quality ingredients prepared correctly, without fancy tablecloths and annoying waiters ????

I met a French steak chef at a nightclub in Bangkok last year and duly promised to visit him for a le steak at his fine dining establishment which happens to be a few minutes walk from my gaff. Then I looked up the prices on the internet and ordered KFC instead.

Maybe when the markets pick up a bit more I'll bite the bullet and see what this bleu business is all about. I'm a fan of medium-rare Aussie Wagyu but I guess I could branch out just the once.

Looks great to me.  I'm gonna ask for Blue when I go home.  I've probably cooked it that way myself before.  

We've given up trying to find a good steak here in Chaiyaphum.  The flavor is there, but tough is always part of the description.  Better Australian steaks can be bought for a relatively decent price at some of the chain stores, but grass fed doesn't make it. 

I like my steak well marbled like me.

4 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I'm gonna ask for Blue when I go home.

I used to like my steaks blue, but to do properly usually takes longer than to cook rare. If they don't leave the steak to warm properly before cooking you end up with something that's unpleasantly cold in the middle. 

• Like 1

You people are all silly money wasters.  I buy New Zealand Rib Eye.  130b buys me about 280grams of steak. 

I know where to buy food here, and it's not always Tops or Lotus's or Villa Market.  My meat costs a hell of a lot less than what they charge, sometimes by half. 

Just heavily salt your steak and let it sit overnight.  Then let it warm to room temperature before heating a cast iron skillet and searing both sides properly. 

That's it.  Salt, pepper, and steak sauce, and you have a perfectly cooked steak. 

Silly people, keep wasting your money with the nag flesh sold at Tops. 

Not me. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

You people are all silly money wasters.  I buy New Zealand Rib Eye.  130b buys me about 280grams of steak. 

I know where to buy food here, and it's not always Tops or Lotus's or Villa Market.  My meat costs a hell of a lot less than what they charge, sometimes by half. 

Just heavily salt your steak and let it sit overnight.  Then let it warm to room temperature before heating a cast iron skillet and searing both sides properly. 

That's it.  Salt, pepper, and steak sauce, and you have a perfectly cooked steak. 

Silly people, keep wasting your money with the nag flesh sold at Tops. 

Not me. 

Salt ? Doesnt that dry the meat? 

I rub that baby with a lil' all American sweet BBQ sauce that I got Stateside, add a lil' extra sugar, leave that baby to marinade a while.

Put it in a lil' hot pan, and lets that baby fry, then take it out the pan slice it up immediately.

Then I take some lil' pancakes I made earlier, and roll the slices of steak up in a lil' parncake, and put a cocktail stick through 'em. You gotta eat food on a stick.

I call it a 'steakey-doodle', then once it's been named appropriately, I can consume the product.

Might dip it in a lil' syrup or something as I am eatin'

Edited by 2009

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

I rub that baby with a lil' all American sweet BBQ sauce that I got Stateside, add a lil' extra sugar, leave that baby to marinade a while.

Put it in a lil' hot pan, and lets that baby fry, then take it out the pan slice it up immediately.

Then I take some lil' pancakes I made earlier, and roll the sliced of steak up in a lil' parncake, and put a cocktail stick through. You gotta eat food on a stick.

I call it a 'steakey-doodle', then once it's been named appropriately, I can consume the product.

Might dip it in a lil' syrup or something as I am eatin'

As was said in Bram Stoker's Dracula, I'm afraid sir your food choices are a bit off the edge. 

image.png.4513e994f691a72e8600f26633fb27a7.png