How do you prepare a steak?

Hummin

31 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

You people are all silly money wasters.  I buy New Zealand Rib Eye.  130b buys me about 280grams of steak. 

I know where to buy food here, and it's not always Tops or Lotus's or Villa Market.  My meat costs a hell of a lot less than what they charge, sometimes by half. 

Just heavily salt your steak and let it sit overnight.  Then let it warm to room temperature before heating a cast iron skillet and searing both sides properly. 

That's it.  Salt, pepper, and steak sauce, and you have a perfectly cooked steak. 

Silly people, keep wasting your money with the nag flesh sold at Tops. 

Not me. 

Good for you. I have tried the cheap NZ ribeye and it is terrible.

I know you think you know better than everyone but believe me, you don't. Some things are worth paying for - good steak is one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I know you think you know better than everyone but believe me, you don't. Some things are worth paying for - good steak is one of them.

What are you on about? My NZ steak isn't cheap.  I pay wholesale pricing. I don't buy cheap meat, I buy good meat cheaply.  One can only hope you can hold those two thoughts in your head at the same time.

54 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

You people are all silly money wasters.  I buy New Zealand Rib Eye.  130b buys me about 280grams of steak. 

I know where to buy food here, and it's not always Tops or Lotus's or Villa Market.  My meat costs a hell of a lot less than what they charge, sometimes by half. 

Just heavily salt your steak and let it sit overnight.  Then let it warm to room temperature before heating a cast iron skillet and searing both sides properly. 

That's it.  Salt, pepper, and steak sauce, and you have a perfectly cooked steak. 

Not me. 

Where do you get it, out of interest?

I'd like to try it.

2 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

If you paid attention, you would see that the word is >>>>>salt. 

And if you have 3 professional chefs then there will be at least 4 opinions about salt.

Personally I salt is just before I put it in the pan and pepper it on my plate.

All done within 10 min. Bon appétit.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I buy local ribeye steak in Foodland, about 400g for one steak.

Salt, put it in the pan for maybe 3min on each side.

Pepper. Done.

Not very good, but good enough. And it cost maybe 250 THB. 

Expensive I can get this for 209 baht including soup and salat. 

May be an image of food

Edited by still kicking
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Not me. 

I  seriously doubt you are paying Bt.460 for import NZ Rib Eye.

Happy to be proven wrong though so please name the shop.

• Sad 1

Just now, DudleySquat said:

You aren't nice. No. 

Fair play..... to be honest I would not buy steak that requires salting before cooking anyways... doing that assists with tenderizing so your cheap import steak is likely only good for making stews and casseroles anyways.

Rib Eye I buy is perfect, requires not salting.

https://meatstuffpattaya.com/product/australian-rib-eye/

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Fair play..... to be honest I would not buy steak that requires salting before cooking anyways... doing that assists with tenderizing so your cheap import steak is likely only good for making stews and casseroles anyways.

Rib Eye I buy is perfect, requires not salting.

https://meatstuffpattaya.com/product/australian-rib-eye/

You are making it too easy. You obviously have never been in a kitchen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If it makes you happy to pay top-shelf prices for pedestrian meat, I won't stop you. 

I won't eat any beef in Thailand. Lucky for me I'm back in Canada a couple of times a year and can get some wonderful Alberta Beef then, some of the best on the planet. Reminds me, need to get to Costco to get some for the weekend BBQ. Supposed to get to 18C.

2 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I won't eat any beef in Thailand. Lucky for me I'm back in Canada a couple of times a year and can get some wonderful Alberta Beef then, some of the best on the planet. Reminds me, need to get to Costco to get some for the weekend BBQ. Supposed to get to 18C.

When they bring the beef from NZ to Thailand, the beef still knows it is from a NZ cow.  

You can't fool the beef. 

I want to go where they want to put meat in my mouth.  

Ted's of Beverly Hills is out of the question. 

Rib-Eye

Salt, pepper, MSG

hot skillet 1 min, then turn every minute till reach desired internal temp ~125F, rest for 5 mins.

No real need to take out of frig early, as internal temp drops very little.

Reverse sear after oven or sous vid works excellent also, if you have patience.  No need to rest after searing.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Yes. It adds flavour and pulls moisture from the meat.  You want that for the Maillard effect to happen.

News to me, I was always under the impression a Maillard reaction occurred with reducing sugars, I don't know where you find them in protein and fat.

Certainly, steak will brown with cooking. Or even before. However, it's not a Maiilard reaction, it's a myoglobin oxidation.

I don't bother buying steak in Thailand to eat as is, I put gravy beef in curries instead. Nothing tender here.

In Australia, I use grass-fed eye  fillet with a hot pan lightly coated with oil. Sear one side, then the other. Turn over one final time, then wait until liquid forms on the top of the steak.

Edited by Lacessit