as most chefs who know what they are doing
will know what a blue steak is
obviously not so much in a 69 baht steak place or sante fe lol
Every chef in a French place should as the French are very fond of bleu steak
basically just extra rare
but ideally should be cooked on very fierce heat to get a good sear
as stocky mentioned, to serve blue it should be room temp prior to cooking
honestly it is very rare (or blue lol) for any resturaunt to be doing this
when dining out steak will likely come straight from the fridge and onto the grill
especially if you don't order any starters

thanks for the tip about the room temperature thingy. if I ever get the urge to prise open my wallet and try the fancy steak place up the road I'll be sure to call ahead and make sure they do it properly. the chef gave me his business card so why not use it eh? ????

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

When in Udon Thani, use to get quality inexpensive tenderloins from Tops,   Other cuts at the time were krap.   Then CP/Central took over the mall & Tops, with major revamp & silly prices.

Also use to buy from Thai-French, and decent, but very inconsistent quality.

Same experience. For home cooking in Udon, have you tried Pan Foods at the Samrong-Ring road traffic lights? Before covid, they were primarily bulk wholsesale but now maintain a decent fridge/freezer stock for the individual walk-in shopper.

There's also some some good Australian grain or grass fed steak cuts to be had at Makro. A recent discovery there were Australian beef picanha cuts that were the best I've had outside of a Brazilian churrascaria.

Dining out for steak in Udon sees Prime Steakhouse in the back alleys north of Wing 23 with favorable reviews.

Edited by NanLaew

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with this and do something very similar ...

Usually a 1 to 1.5” thick Ribeye or Tenderloin... out of fridge for 30mins - salted and lightly peppered (not too much coarse pepper as this sits the steak off the pan and partially prevents the sear).

Very hot cast Iron skillet - you can tell its hot enough when you see the Leidenfrost effect (a drop of water bouncing around in the pan).

A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped garlic, lightly salted butter.

Sear the steak in the very hot pan with olive oil (1min each side / and long steak edges)....  then add butter, Garlic, Rosemary and baste,

Place the whole skillet the in the 200 deg C (preheated) oven for 4.5mins (this is for 1” medium-rare cooked steak adjust oven time for thickness or preferred level).

Take the skillet Pan out of the oven.... Baste the steak again, then remove and allow to sit at room temperature on a wooden board for 10mins before serving with roasted garlic, french-fries and salad.

I like the garlic and rosemary but never in the pan. Cut the clove in half and rub the open face across the open faces of the steak on each side as it's cooking. Same for the rosemary. Brush the steak with the sprigs while it's cooking in the skillet. So, to review...

Steak out of the fridge an hour or so before; no pre salting and/or marinade. Get the skillet hot and drizzle the steaks with olive oil and then liberally grind/sprinkle coarse sea salt on both sides. Let that settle for a minute or two before dropping the cut in the hot, dry (no oil, no butter) skillet. Brush with garlic and rosemary as above, remove and rest.

Eat and acknowledge some English celebrity chef's YouTube for the above 'technique'. I like skin-on, butter mashed potatoes and lemon-garlic grilled asparagus for the veggies.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I prefer it rare but with no messing about, cut its horns off and wipe its <deleted> and its good to go

My buddy Fred, sadly deceased, was a Captain with the USAF during the Vietnam conflict. We used to have an informal 'steak club' every Monday night back in Houston and settled on Pappa's Steakhouse on Westheimer as their steaks were consistently good and the bar was cigar friendly (Captain Fred loved his stogies). Anyway, he liked his steak done blue and it was his recommendation for the cold serving plate. After being served a less than perfect steak that was attributed to a 'new chef', he insisted that if there was a new-hire cooking his steak, he had to be personally introduced to Fred in the bar and advised on exactly how the steak should be prepared, cooked and presented. The management eventually added this to their official menu where you could order your steak cooked rare, medium, well... or 'Fred'.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Same experience. For home cooking in Udon, have you tried Pan Foods at the Samrong-Ring road traffic lights? Before covid, they were primarily bulk wholsesale but now maintain a decent fridge/freezer stock for the individual walk-in shopper.

There's also some some good Australian grain or grass fed steak cuts to be had at Makro. A recent discovery there were Australian beef picanha cuts that were the best I've had outside of a Brazilian churrascaria.

Dining out for steak in Udon sees Prime Steakhouse in the back alleys north of Wing 23 with favorable reviews.

Left UT about 7 yrs ago.  Have also had Makro's Australian beef picanha, and agree, some of the best around.  Prefer that, as I get to cut the steaks thick.

As stated earlier, the 2 for 1s at Gourmet Market, Hua Hin, are decent values also, when available, for those in the area.

I am often asked how I like my steak.

very very rare.

"wipe its nose and take of the hooves."

I use my Tefal Optigrill and it cooks both side top perfection in about 45 seconds leaving the juices flowing.

Edited by Muzzique

On 4/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, NanLaew said:

Tip#84: Don't cook a steak straight from the fridge. Let it settle for an hour at room temperature first.

Tip#363: If serving a rare steak, after cooking and resting, serve the steak on a plate that's been in the fridge for an hour first.

Cook and eat it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

IMG_20230414_110038.jpg

IMG_20230414_110853.jpg

Hard to beat a good pork steak. Definitely a viable substitute beef that’s just not affordable. 

Just cruised through a Tops. A nice looking Australian ribeye was 2900 baht/kg. Needless to say I passed that up to see if they have any California Red Wine. A Berlinger Cabernet was 3499 baht. That’s probably $12 back home. Back home the Piggly Wiggly has locally produced Black Angus ribeyes for $7.99/pound.