Pattaya motorcycle taxi rider threatens to kill 2 foreigners over fare dispute

snoop1130

9 hours ago, smedly said:

160b for a 2km fare - is he having a laugh, max 100b

30b minimum fare for 1km -  10b for 1 extra km and 5b for each km thereafter is the official fare

Where are these official figures written?  Do they apply to meterless taximeters?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

3 different sources quoted for this piece of non news!

Virtue signalling ON

I took a win from Jomtien bus station to Pratamnak Soi 4/5 after a nightmare journey from Manila to BKK. I never asked for the price. Gave him 100 and a "Happy Songkran". He was extremely grateful. What's wrong with people they can't give a bit extra? It's maybe £1. Get real. Wins have to make a living.

Virtue signalling OFF

I guess if he doubled it on arrival you wouldn't be happy 

Not surprized they didn't want to pay. Probably he told them 80 but not 80each... And then I would like to know if police doesn't have any problem when scooter taxi carries two -probably big- people instead of one...is that ok for them?

9 hours ago, Sqoop said:

The win taxi riders are fine until you find one that is a nutter. I shopped in Central last week and used the first win setup on the left on beach road.

I always give the destination, jom tien, then ask the price. They said 100 baht, I agreed but then they grumbled and said tuk Mark. (too cheap) the rider then took off like a maniac. Almost threw me off the back of the bike. 

These guys are fine until they have some mad grievance and then they are crazy. I stopped the ride early with no tip. 

tuk mark = very cheap  not too cheap

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

3 different sources quoted for this piece of non news!

Virtue signalling ON

I took a win from Jomtien bus station to Pratamnak Soi 4/5 after a nightmare journey from Manila to BKK. I never asked for the price. Gave him 100 and a "Happy Songkran". He was extremely grateful. What's wrong with people they can't give a bit extra? It's maybe £1. Get real. Wins have to make a living.

Virtue signalling OFF

That's not  virtue signalling   you are in the clear

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

100 baht is not maybe £1, not even close. I slip them 50 baht for most rides and never have an issue...... chuck a few Thai words at them and they seem less avaricious. 

100 baht no where £1. £1 = 41 baht I the glory days when I first visited Thailand £1 = 72 baht and that was in 2002/3. For me it is never about the money it is all about principle and good service should always = a good tip unless there is a service charge then I refuse to tip.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

The motorcycle taxi driver should not  only be heavily fined and lose his licence for conveying 2 passengers on his bike, but for having a deadly weapon in his possession in public, and using it in a threatening manner,  a long custodial sentence is warranted.  Many would argue that a deaath sentence is warranted. Time to get rid of all the thugs and mafia!

None would advocate the death sentence,  not even the TVF hang em high squad, as can be seen by the comments on this thread.    Except you it would appear

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Celsius said:

One of the classiest places in the country 

With a really high rank rental price for taxi riders I imagine. Fares near Central are always more. And in songkran traffic I suspect the quote would be higher than normal. Since they didn't want to walk the short distance I'm guessing there was a fat fee as well.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I would ask the farangs what was the price for the fare in the first place.Being pattaya maybe the driver was trying his luck maybe.I don,t know but showing a knife and saying i will kill you will not go down well  around town

Motorbike taxi guys threatening tourists, what's the news? Totally inappropriate, and they should lock this guy away. As for the fare dispute, however, he was probably right; 40 baht from the orange ones, in Pattaya?? Unlikely.

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

100 baht no where £1. £1 = 41 baht I the glory days when I first visited Thailand £1 = 72 baht and that was in 2002/3. For me it is never about the money it is all about principle and good service should always = a good tip unless there is a service charge then I refuse to tip.

Good service = tip. Either using the service, or not (if too expensive). But arguing over 40 baht after the price was already pre-arranged? Life is too short for that, esp. if you're on a holiday...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

....arrested a kinife-wielding thug after he turned into a Thai motocycle taxi rider.

Well, I don't think that Thai motorcycle taxi riders belong to the higher echelons of Thai society. Probably little education, no property, few prospects... One or the other may have had run-ins with the law, alcohol and/or anger issues...

• Thumbs Up 1

Amazing how some people will risk their life over a couple of bob. I've been ripped off several times during my time here, but figured it wasn't worth the hassle of causing a fuss over it. Many times I've seen farang arguing with baht bus drivers over 10 baht. 

Different of course if you stand to lose a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1