91% of Serious Injuries During Songkran Attributed to People Not Wearing Seat Belts

webfact

158 deaths and 1,431 injuries in four days of Songkran celebrations

image.png

158 people have died and 1,431 others have been injured in 1,422 road accidents across Thailand during four days of Songkran celebrations from April 11th, according to the Road Accidents Prevention and Reduction Centre.

On April 14th alone, 44 people were killed and 368 others injured in 368 road accidents.

Speeding accounted for most of the accidents (35.6%), followed by drunk driving (28.53%).  Motorcycles were involved in most of the accidents (83.7%).

37.77% of the accidents occurred on highways, under the Highways Department, and 36.96% occurred on roads under the jurisdictions of Tambon (sub-district) Administrative Organisations and villages. 78.80% of the accidents took place on straight roads.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/158-deaths-and-1431-injuries-in-four-days-of-songkran-celebrations/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

National — The Secretary General of the Thai Public Health Ministry Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong reported that there was an uptick in serious injuries related to road accidents during this year’s Songkran festival, and 91% of the serious injuries were caused by people neglecting seat belts.

Did the seat belt become homicidal? How does not wearing a seat cause serious injury? As I read the article's first paragraph am I to believe that no one lost control of their vehicle and all injuries were caused by neglected seatbelts? 

Never neglect your seat belt.  Give it the love and attention it needs. 

Now I know why so many taxis do not have seat belts in the rear seat.  

Headline: Taxi Riders seriously injured by neglect of seatbelt.   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The data collected from April 11th to 16th showed that there were 17,775 injuries, which increased by 19.26% from the previous year. There were also 232 deaths, which decreased by 26.81% from the previous year. Among those injured, 3,814 people had to be hospitalized, which increased by 81.84%.

A great time was had by all... roll-on Loy Krathong

• Haha 1

That is an improvement of the normal days, as we could read last week that the average daily deaths were 44 a day. Now with the dangerous days only 158 in 4 days that means 18 less than normal... Rip for all the deceased, because a lot of them did not need to die if there was some law enforcement and driving education. Now it is the not wearing seatbelts for91% of the injured, but if they don't do anything during the whole year than next year in the same period it will be the same. In a few days you can't change behavior

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tgw said:

errr.... I'm very very very sceptical about the accuracy of this headline

Yes, me too. Unless they include motorcycle riders in the group who do not wear seatbelts.. for good reason!

The gf's family have now got used to me wearing a seatbelt either as driver or passenger, regardless of the journey length.

This time I had to remove a dummy buckle from the seatbelt socket; both driver and front passenger seats have these to stop the warning signal. 

I just don't get why there's a reluctance to embrace safety measures in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm….. lets blame seatbelts for the slaughter on Thai roads this year. I wonder if enforcing seatbelt wearing would help?

Like the enforcement of wearing helmets, you mean?????

• Haha 1

It’s hard to say whether what the Thai official said is absolute rubbish or not because what he said isn’t quoted in full.

what is for sure is that the headline is absolute tosh, so if that’s what he actually said, he is talking rubbish. On the other hand, it is possible that the writer has grabbed a few words out of context and utilized a click bait style headline.

who knows which it is, but one thing is for sure, not wearing a seatbelt does not cause accidents, it increases the risk of serious injury if an accident occurs while in a car.

the headline doesn’t mention a similar dynamic with helmets and motorbikes, although some minor reference is made to it near the end.

all in all, I’m not sure why seatbelts get to become the focus of the article, unless that was the focus of what the official said. And it appears the seatbelt thing was just let of a slew of statistics being reeled off in one place.

so a nonsense article again that leaves the reader with more questions than answers and casts a Thai official in a bad light.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1