Thief Breaks into American Ex-pat’s House in Pattaya and Steals His Rolex Watch

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

A thief broke into a foreign man’s house in Pattaya and stole his expensive Rolex watch and 1,800 baht cash, according to a report from the victim and Pattaya police.

The incident took place on April 8th at about 11:30 AM. An unidentified thief broke into the house of an American national, identified only by his first name of Sal, located in the Nongprue sub-district of Pattaya’s Banglamung district.

The thief, who has yet to be arrested, stole one expensive Rolex watch and about 1,800 baht cash from the house and fled. The exact cash value of the watch was not released by Pattaya police.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/16/thief-breaks-into-american-ex-pats-house-in-pattaya-and-steals-his-rolex-watch/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Several years ago I had a lucrative contract for 3 months in Iraq (O&G) industry.I always wanted a Rolex Submariner and finally had enough money to afford one.

I bought it at a bonafide dealer in BKK. After a bit I was on a 2 week holiday in Bejing to see the Great Wall.A casual walk in the vicinity of my hotel drew so many stares I left it locked in the hotel room.

A very uncomfortable feeling.I sold it within a year of purchase after feeling like a target.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Several years ago I had a lucrative contract for 3 months in Iraq (O&G) industry.I always wanted a Rolex Submariner and finally had enough money to afford one.

I bought it at a bonafide dealer in BKK. After a bit I was on a 2 week holiday in Bejing to see the Great Wall.A casual walk in the vicinity of my hotel drew so many stares I left it locked in the hotel room.

A very uncomfortable feeling.I sold it within a year of purchase after feeling like a target.

Is the Rolex Submariner the one with the coveted Rolls Royce engine?

• Haha 1

The victim has urged Pattaya police to review street CCTV cameras in the area to attempt to find the suspect leaving the scene of the crime and hopes the incident is resolved as soon as possible, adding that a positive resolution will help restore people’s confidence in safety measures in Pattaya.

I think that would take more than finding a watch

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim has urged Pattaya police to review street CCTV cameras in the area to attempt to find the suspect leaving the scene of the crime and hopes the incident is resolved as soon as possible, adding that a positive resolution will help restore people’s confidence in safety measures in Pattaya.

Wishful thinking.

You have more hope in winning the lottery.

• Like 1

I really can't believe this story. The guy with the supposed Rolex took no precautions in hiding the watch inside his property. All a bit casual if you ask me. 

The victim had CCTV video inside of his house but saw nothing. Then what chance of local street CCTV capturing the crook? 

the incident occurred quickly and did not appear to be captured on home CCTV.

Tosh.

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

Very sad, Watch crimes are becoming a big problem in the UK as gangs are targeting, following and robbing people wearing expensive watches. I love watches but thankfully prefer antique pocket watches or old vintage wrist watches. JW Benson watches have a great history (my favorite maker) and my 60 year old Omega "sea master" is always my go to dress watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

I used to have a Seiko I bought for $100 in Dubai duty free. However it was gold coloured with a matching bracelet and looked much more expensive from a distance. I stopped wearing it in Bangkok for exactly the same reasons.

• Like 1

Interesting, Wonder what Soi ?

Last week whilst the missus was having an afternoon nap a thief gained entry to our house and stole her handbag and mobile phone that was sitting on the dining table.

Am surprised thats all they took given the amount of electrical goods/computer gear/powertools etc etc they could have easily taken.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Interesting, Wonder what Soi ?

Last week whilst the missus was having an afternoon nap a thief gained entry to our house and stole her handbag and mobile phone that was sitting on the dining table.

Am surprised thats all they took given the amount of electrical goods/computer gear/powertools etc etc they could have easily taken.

That old chestnut - lol

6 hours ago, jaideedave said:

A casual walk in the vicinity of my hotel drew so many stares I left it locked in the hotel room.

Admittedly: I never went to Beijing.
But I have been wearing Rolex watches for over 30 years, all over the world, and NEVER EVER felt uncomfortable with it...

I don't see the point of wearing a watch anymore, our phone shows the time already. Same with people wearing apple watches. Rather have some gold(en chain) as emergency cash.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I always keep my valuables and any significant amount of cash locked up in a good safe. At least it represents an obstacle. And fairly basic survival skills. 

We bought a safe when we first moved into our house before we had a chance to fit grills on the windows and doors. We got burgled whilst on holiday. The thieves just took the safe leaving other items untouched. Incidentally the safe was empty. It was found 50km away in a field with the back crow bard open. Front door untouched. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

10 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I don't see the point of wearing a watch anymore, our phone shows the time already. Same with people wearing apple watches.

I do can see the point of wearing a golden chain however, you could use this as emergency cash and you always have it with you. I still would not wear it myself.

Get a credit card.

Watches are a type of jewels with a practical function, some people like that.
Myself, I also like the fact I have a little mechanical machine on my wrist - the engineering is incredible.

7 hours ago, jaideedave said:

After a bit I was on a 2 week holiday in Bejing to see the Great Wall.A casual walk in the vicinity of my hotel drew so many stares I left it locked in the hotel room.

Good on you. Thieves in China are numerous and very bold. I had my ATM card picked right at a WalMart checkout, being the only customer. (I even saw the female thief standing behind me, grinning... But I never made the connection, and just realised that the card was gone from my back-pocket an hour later.) All this despite all the cameras there.

Another time, had a knock-off "Harrods" bag stolen there, while browsing shelves. (Nothing in there, but another shopping bag.) Didn't pay attention for 3 minutes and... gone from the shopping trolley!

Fortunately, total loss for both incidents only two shopping bags, and the time effort and fee to replace the ATM card.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

10 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Get a credit card.

Watches are a type of jewels with a practical function, some people like that.
Myself, I also like the fact I have a little mechanical machine on my wrist - the engineering is incredible.

Credit card lol, the emergency cash is exactly for when that no longer works or applies. Else cash is always in the bank too.