Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Lobster and oysters then death? It's all just stuff. Happiness comes from detachment and lack of cravings.

I was thinking more about health vise, insurance, facilities, and not getting stuck one place where you have no one around you to care and make your last days a bit more comfortable. Spending your last years in missury because you spent all your savings on "fun" as long it lasted without thinking. That takes dicipline, planning and some effort to manage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I was thinking more about health vise, insurance, facilities, and not getting stuck one place where you have no one around you to care and make your last days a bit more comfortable. Spending your last years in missury because you spent all your savings on "fun" as long it lasted without thinking. That takes dicipline, planning and some effort to manage. 

Ok fair enough. Hard to plan 30 or 40 years ahead though. I plan 3 months ahead.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Ok fair enough. Hard to plan 30 or 40 years ahead though. I plan 3 months ahead.

you can do something for your health, careful investments, make sure you have friends and maybe someone care for you. You can also make a plan where you want to end up, and Im for sure live in Isan now, but after 70, I will be another place if not hell brake loose and I have to change my plans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

you can do something for your health, careful investments, make sure you have friends and maybe someone care for you. You can also make a plan where you want to end up, and Im for sure live in Isan now, but after 70, I will be another place if not hell brake loose and I have to change my plans. 

My health is good. No idea where I will live in 2 years. I have 3 months of plans.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

And they are all very good friends with someone high up in the army and live next door to someone high up in the police.

And their Thai wifes/GFs are all uni educated, with high degrees, and high positions in govt or a multinational corp. But given the vast amount of poverty and inequality in this country, I reckon I've heard that much more than is actually possible.

I actually love telling people, particularly my students, that my wife only finished P6 (6th grade), then had to go work on the farm, then factories, then finally in BKK hotels and restaurants. It serves as a great example of when having the right attitude, motivation, and exposure, they too could learn English.

OP - The day i arrived in Thailand 18 years ago -  my buddy, who got here 7 years before me and had a few businesses running, said:

"Never forget this place attracts the har souls of society and the worrying thing is that these har souls don't know they're har souls..." ...

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Can we ever forgive Altimont?

That was America and with many different Chapters some are OK to a point depends on your moral judgement, in UK they supervise rock concerts and give to charities.

Met quite a few in pubs and concerts all OK everyone to their own gang or club thing I guess, groupy stuff has never been my thing.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most women prefer violent thugs to good loving men.

You should know this by now. 

If women were mostly selecting for violent thugs then wouldn't most men  be violent thugs? 

Most fathers and step fathers and bfs are violent thugs producing ever more violent thugs?

In my part of the west I see woke men carrying babies strapped to their chest or incels playing dungeons and dragons.

6 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

If women were mostly selecting for violent thugs then wouldn't most men  be violent thugs? 

Most fathers and step fathers and bfs are violent thugs producing ever more violent thugs?

In my part of the west I see woke men carrying babies strapped to their chest or incels playing dungeons and dragons.

Women want two types of men, good genes, and those who take care of their children. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hummin said:

Women want two types of men, good genes, and those who take care of their children. 

The good genes come from the violent thugs.

Those who take care of the womans kids (from the violent thugs) get used and discarded (with little sex).

• Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Those who take care of the womans kids (from the violent thugs) get used and discarded (with little sex).

Good genes is more than violent men, and reasons women choose to have babies with those who can give them strong babies that will survive.

Not every woman can choose either, and same goes for men. Some have to take what they get, or in exchange for money, protection, status or just for face

Edited by Hummin

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Violence can be genetic, and violent men aren't wanted by any but mentally disturbed women. Women generally are naive about men, taking advice from friends that have been hurt by men before and it seems that bad boys are more exciting than good men, which of course is a lie, because once that excitement is over from first encounters, what's left is a man that disappears. He got the sex he wanted, and goes onto  greener pastures. Excitement comes from two people who are initially attracted to each other, and never getting lazy about romance. Attraction isn't a choice, but excitement wears off in time unless you get inventive, and care about your partner as more than an object or ATM. Good genes come from healthy bloodlines ,period. Unlike what the narcissist Corey Wayne, who thinks alpha males pass good bloodlines to their kids, says, it's a healthy individual that has good genes, especially if his parents were also healthy. A man gets discarded either because he doesn't treat his partner right, or his partner has mental challenges from her childhood, especially fathers. I have 5 daughters and one son, all healthy and attractive. I had them with pretty women who were healthy (in body), and I've lifted weights for 50 years and eaten very healthy all my life

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Violence can be genetic, and violent men aren't wanted by any but mentally disturbed women. Women generally are naive about men, taking advice from friends that have been hurt by men before and it seems that bad boys are more exciting than good men, which of course is a lie, because once that excitement is over from first encounters, what's left is a man that disappears. He got the sex he wanted, and goes onto  greener pastures. Excitement comes from two people who are initially attracted to each other, and never getting lazy about romance. Attraction isn't a choice, but excitement wears off in time unless you get inventive, and care about your partner as more than an object or ATM. Good genes come from healthy bloodlines ,period. Unlike what the narcissist Corey Wayne, who thinks alpha males pass good bloodlines to their kids, says, it's a healthy individual that has good genes, especially if his parents were also healthy. A man gets discarded either because he doesn't treat his partner right, or his partner has mental challenges from her childhood, especially fathers.

Agree. 

People are generalising too much here. 

There are plenty of violent men who don't have good genes...they can be short, fat, covered in spots, heart disease and diabetes etc.  They are not 'alpha men' with muscles and six packs.  Violent men can be any shape or size. They are messed up and disturbed anti social people.  This is not what a man should aspire to be, thinking women will find that attractive ????

Also the 'woke' men or those who are kind and considerate to their women are not all small skinny guys with glasses and genetic disabilities.  They also can have great healthy genes, be attractive and look like a body builder. 

Anyway, I dont think men can speak for what women want in a relationship...

Sadly not too many women on this forum to comment on this thread. Would be interesting to hear from some. 

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Violence can be genetic, and violent men aren't wanted by any but mentally disturbed women. Women generally are naive about men, taking advice from friends that have been hurt by men before and it seems that bad boys are more exciting than good men, which of course is a lie, because once that excitement is over from first encounters, what's left is a man that disappears. He got the sex he wanted, and goes onto  greener pastures. Excitement comes from two people who are initially attracted to each other, and never getting lazy about romance. Attraction isn't a choice, but excitement wears off in time unless you get inventive, and care about your partner as more than an object or ATM. Good genes come from healthy bloodlines ,period. Unlike what the narcissist Corey Wayne, who thinks alpha males pass good bloodlines to their kids, says, it's a healthy individual that has good genes, especially if his parents were also healthy. A man gets discarded either because he doesn't treat his partner right, or his partner has mental challenges from her childhood, especially fathers. I have 5 daughters and one son, all healthy and attractive. I had them with petty women who were healthy (in body), and I've lifted weights for 50 years and eaten very healthy all my life

A healthy good man, is a challenge for every woman to keep, because every woman want the same men, with everything that involves of insecurity for a solid family life. 

We are out of the jungle, but the behaviour and instincts is still there

On 4/18/2023 at 12:01 PM, gearbox said:

Nothing is black and white... however how many doctors, engineers or scientists have you seen in your home country with their hands or neck tattooed? Mostly uneducated low class settles here. Russians are maybe an exception but they have their own issues.

Agree with you.

And so strange that when replies include references to education levels, so many members have a reaction of 'confused' or 'sad'. Perhaps less educated people get more emotional... Perhaps....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you've been with your wife and her kid for some time. Do you act like a violent thug to keep her interested and so that she is giving you what you want. Or are you a nice guy who gets nothing. 

On 4/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, ozimoron said:

I'm normal and I do when I have free time. I work and I don't drink much. I have few rules or restrictive habits. I defy classification or labels. I'm not judgmental. My secret is to find reasons to avoid individual people, not the other way round.

We all ( probably ) think WE are normal.

IMO there is no such thing as "normal", just behaving like a majority of other people, but sometimes a majority of people are not exhibiting good behaviour- the Roman mob that went to the circus to see people eaten by animals were "normal" for that time, but were they "good"?

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Spending your last years in missury because you spent all your savings on "fun" as long it lasted without thinking.

What about guys that did the right thing- got married, spent all their money on the family and lost most or all because she turned out to be rotten?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

There are plenty of violent men who don't have good genes...they can be short, fat, covered in spots, heart disease and diabetes etc.  They are not 'alpha men' with muscles and six packs.  Violent men can be any shape or size. They are messed up and disturbed anti social people.  This is not what a man should aspire to be, thinking women will find that attractive ????

and yet.....................

Those men only get to be bad to their women because women want to be with them. Explain that?

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We all ( probably ) think WE are normal.

Hell NO ... I don't want to be ..

... I purposely do sh!t opposite of normal, to not be.

although .... thinking about it, how would I know...

... Oh Krap

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2023 at 12:07 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If I have to choose between someone who spends lots of time in the garden or lots of time in bars, I know what I prefer... 

I suppose the ideal is a bar with a garden attached.

My favoured watering hole has lots of plants...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

Few years ago I heard there was one living in Chang Mai but after not hearing any more since then I suspect it was just another vicious rumour.

When we lived in Bangkok, my wife, with her big heart, would often invite farang to join us when we were out, thinking I would enjoy English speaking company.  After a while I had to tell her to refrain from these invitations because they always ended up negatively.  One prime example was this young American teacher who bragged about having taught his school director how to burp the entire English alphabet!

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What about guys that did the right thing- got married, spent all their money on the family and lost most or all because she turned out to be rotten?

There is alot more involved than just be a nice person, it is also how we deal with other people and how we manage conflicts as well understand conflicts. 

• Confused 1