It's Hot (What if Global Warming is Here?)

Danderman123

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

SO taking 1979 as you datum point is equally cherry picking, the warming/cooling cycle last hundreds of years, 44 years is nothing to nature.

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

SO taking 1979 as you datum point is equally cherry picking, the warming/cooling cycle last hundreds of years, 44 years is nothing to nature.

which is why this time it is different and man-made.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How do these links show that the experts all agree that all climate change is caused by humans?

No scientist would say that if credible. I don't know why he made that comment.

47 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I'm not going to do your work for you. Put your own time in, go and seek out your own research and statistics. I'm not being paid to be anyone's tutor. And I don't mean just cherry pick that which supports your preconceptions, I mean a real education. You'll likely need a college course in it. No offense. It's complex stuff if you really want to understand it. I've done my studying over the last 40 years. I'm glad I did. That's the problem, you want to argue just for the sake of arguing in a wholly inappropriate news (not science) forum on a subject you have no expertise in rather than do the actual necessary work to learn and educate yourself. If you knew anything about this, you likely wouldn't be discussing or arguing about it here at Aseannow. So, no, go ahead and believe what you want. You will anyway, nobody can force education on anyone. I just happened to see the title of the article and was curious as to why anyone would ask the question that was asked. And I told the questioner that he needs to go elsewhere, he won't find anything useful in this forum. I provided him with some useful links and a summary on the science. AND, I'm done. 

You claimed that all experts agreed on how much climate change was attributable to human activity and in fact stated: "Debatable by the uneducated or those in denial for various reasons, most of them crooked and political. No debate among experts. The evidence is incontrovertible, if you're educated enough to understand it."

Yet you have absolutely nothing to support that such a claim. You made it up. 

I have an engineering degree from an ABET accredited school, you? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posts removed.

Continued posting of false or misleading information will earn suspension.  If you make a factual claim, then it needs to be backed up by a credible link. 

20 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Your aircon unit needs to have a dehumidify mode, if it does (and most have) there is no associated temperature setting or control it's either dehumidify or nothing. Using aircon in this way is long established and proven practise, I thought everyone understood this. It's a fact of science that if you lower the humidity, the air feels cooler.

As I said I selected this mode and it drove the temp in my bedroom down to 23 deg C... rather cooler than I would usually need. And if it cools more, the compressor runs more, and it costs more. No there is no temperature setting in this mode. I accept that dryer air feels cooler as it can evaporate more.. but this mode also left me with a dry throat. But if it is making me feel cold and I cannot adjust that, it is not suitable. I also did not like the way it cycled on and off.. disturbing. Normal cool the inside unit fan runs continuously and quietly. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

As I said I selected this mode and it drove the temp in my bedroom down to 23 deg C... rather cooler than I would usually need. And if it cools more, the compressor runs more, and it costs more. No there is no temperature setting in this mode. I accept that dryer air feels cooler as it can evaporate more.. but this mode also left me with a dry throat. But if it is making me feel cold and I cannot adjust that, it is not suitable. I also did not like the way it cycled on and off.. disturbing. Normal cool the inside unit fan runs continuously and quietly. 

We find the trick is to run the unit on dehumidify during the evening for a few hours and then switch it off before going to sleep. There's nothing in the late evening to cause heat build up or increased humidity. It works for us.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Another point to consider is that it's usually not necessary to run dehumidify mode at night. Water in the air comes mainly from outside air, cooking and showers, the outside air levels drop after dark and by the time evening comes, most of the showering and cooking is done. We turn off our air con before going to bed, by that time the house is cool so we don't fight the dry throat issues you mentioned.

I have an issue with a warm West facing wall and need to run AC all night... I set it to come on in 'Auto' half an hour before usual bedtime, and put it into 'Night Mode'  when I am ready to sleep. It goes off automatically about 5am. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

We find the trick is to run the unit on dehumidify during the evening for a few hours and then switch it off before going to sleep. There's nothing in the late evening to cause heat build up or increased humidity. It works for us.

Yes, that is the point.... in my spare bedroom the old AC there has heating mode, which I never use. It is also very efficient... turn it on and it will get the ambient 31 down to  25-26 in under 10 minutes.. then it slows and runs very quiet. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes, on most remote controls it's shown as a tear drop or rain drop and you can't adjust the temperature on that setting.

My remote has 3 settings - Cooling showing temperature numbers; the teardrop/raindrop you mentioned - thank you; and a third which is a black pyramid icon and the view screen shows a thermometer and a happy face icon.

Do you know what the 3rd setting is?

Edited by JimmyJ

6 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

My remote has 3 settings - Cooling showing temperature numbers; the teardrop/raindrop you mentioned - thank you; and a third which is a black pyramid icon and the view screen shows a thermometer and a happy face icon.

Do you know what the 3rd setting is?

The black pyramid icon setting is the multiverse time transport setting, set the dial to the appropriate year and press start and whoosh, you'll be there is a flash. Fancy revisiting the 1970's, it's possible.

Er, sorry about that, no I don't.

10 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

I use 1979 as a reference point because that is when satellite began global temperature sensing for the first time, ie our dataset begins in 1979.

Prior to 1979, scientist use less reliable methods.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Okay, so if it is not debatable, exactly how much of it is caused by humans and how much is not?  

We are in a natural cooling trend, so human caused warming first has to overcome natural cooling forces, and then force warming. 

So maybe the answer is "more than 100%".

25 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Humans are terrible at predicting so just because you've seen a trend doesn't mean it's going where you think. Even if your model is perfect there's too many unknown variables.

We're probably in a 2000 year cycle or something and people will figure it out like always. Turn off the corporate and government propaganda media and go back to living a normal life.

How about 5,000 years.............

image.png.aa229fd537c8e67edc35067b5ad7ba62.png

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 1:04 AM, Lacessit said:

Global warming is the Second Law of Thermodynamics in operation. Climate change is the First Law of Thermodynamics at work as a consequence.

Would you be kind enough to explain how the first law can be a consequence of the second law ¯\_()_/¯

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Thanks for the suggestion. The simplest solutions are sometimes the most effective and overlooked!

• Thanks 1