Fortunetellers.

bob smith

8 hours ago, stereolab said:

Most fortunetellers receive relevant information about their customer before any sitting, they get inside knowledge from neighbors and relatives of their clients. Nothing mystical going on.

Yes, when I went to visit a friend out of state - a lady who was a mutual friend of my wife and I did a tarot card reading for me... OMG!! you and your wife split up... which was pretty common knowledge at the time... 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:57 PM, bogs smith said:

I never said he souldnt. 

^^ this is what I saaid.
i just find it very perplexing that outwardly logical seeming people by day are really superstitous and illogical by night. how do they balance the inevitable internal conflict inside?

The point to ponder is Aroon is a smart guy. he has a good job, is very well paid (and I mean that), big house, hot wife etc 

Some people in North America say the same thing about Tony Robbins and all the motivational speakers.

People hear also mention God Allah Bhudda.

The point is simple it is like sports pros that have a good game so they remember exactly in what order they put their gear on before the game and do it exactly that way every game.

The bottom line is it works and he seems to be getting good information from the dear old lady.

Your ordinary fortune tellers as seen on the streets/markets here are very most probably a waste of time amd money. Nothing to gain there.

However there are some individuals who I would not want to disqualify just like that. For example the state oracle of Tibet, some tribes in the Amazon using Ayahuasca etc. I would be careful to state that this is all rubbish. You would say that from a naive, uninformed and arrogant western perspective. On what grounds would you state otherwise ? Science ? :cheesy: Will soon be outdated like the idea of the earth's shape like a pizza. Not today but maybe in some decades time.

Edited by moogradod

On 4/20/2023 at 5:42 PM, sidjameson said:

Belief in God is irrational

Belief in the big bang is irrational

Belief in n a multiverse is irrational

Belief in time is irrational

Predicting the future skillfully doesn't seem as irrational as any of the above.

Belief in an old man in the sky is irrational. Belief in a higher life force is not. We don't even fully understand the brain let alone the universe.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, Sigma6 said:

Yeah, ridiculous.

Mind you, many people believe in god too

Just goes to show...

What is god? The biblically and human made god figure, or everything you feel and sense? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hummin said:

What is god? The biblically and human made god figure, or everything you feel and sense? 

The problem with these discussions is most of the time that for different people terms are differently understood. Terms like God, Soul etc. It is impossible to discuss on the basis that you do not clearly define what you are talking about. It is difficult to arrest a thief if you say it was just a man.

To answer to your question I would rather not look at experiences - what you feel and sense - but rather to the entity that does feel and sense or on that behalf those experiences arise. Advaitains (Hinduism) would call that god - atman or Brahma, Buddhist schools (Mahayana) reject this idea (anatman). In any way it is consciousness related in the broadest sense possible. Difficult subject - not really qualified for discussion on AN actually.

Edited by moogradod
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, moogradod said:

The problem with these discussions is most of the time that for different people terms are differently understood. Terms like God, Soul etc. It is impossible to discuss on the basis that you do not clearly define what you are talking about. It is difficult to arrest a thief if you say it was just a man.

To answer to your question I would rather not look at experiences - what you feel and sense - but rather to the entity that does feel and sense or on that behalf those experiences arise. Advaitains (Hinduism) would call that god - atman or Brahma, Buddhist schools (Mahayana) reject this idea (anatman). In any way it is consciousness related in the broadest sense possible. Difficult subject - not really qualified for discussion on AN actually.

in my opinion, no one knows really, so I agree totally, and if there is a god, god must be everything in my opinion, but no living man or woman really knows. They think and believe  they know, thats all.

Fortune tellers? I leave it with that, a big ? and a really?

On 4/20/2023 at 7:57 AM, bogs smith said:

I never said he souldnt. 

^^ this is what I saaid.
i just find it very perplexing that outwardly logical seeming people by day are really superstitous and illogical by night. how do they balance the inevitable internal conflict inside?

Seers and soothsayers derive their credibility from attributing "scientific", causational results to mystical origins.

In the case of the light......it will, possibly, deter burglars.

Burglars who are under the influence of malevolent spirits......the spirits don't like bright lights.

See?.....it works.

But only on those who lack the thought processes to determine what is really going on and/OR those so intensely indoctrinated in ancient superstition and myth that they are incapable of excluding it from their lives.

The intensely indoctrinated live in a state of denial/double-think, knowing how things are, but feeling there is something else.

Those eminent, successful, intelligent, educated people, from all walks of life, who still espouse religious belief are, in reality, high functioning, delusional.......psychotics.

Did I just describe a politician running for high office?

Well, either that or they know that a politician, especially in a certain Western World Power, diminishes their chances of gaining office in direct proportion to the extent to which they identify religion as superstition and myth........hence not many of them, if any, do it.

Edited by Enoon

On 4/20/2023 at 1:31 PM, bogs smith said:

how does one function in the 21st century with such archaic, dated beliefs?

how can any rational person take people like this seriously?

You told us already the benefits of such beliefs ... he have a big house, hot wife and good job. 

You, as modern enlightened wise farang, not. 

On 4/20/2023 at 2:38 PM, KannikaP said:

Amuses me to see Premiership players who are Muslim, cross themselves as they enter the pitch. 

that's because they're christians NOT muslims. You've based your comment on what you perceive to be their religion based on their ethnicity.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

that's because they're christians NOT muslims. You've based your comment on what you perceive to be their religion based on their ethnicity.

No, a lot of them point two fingers to the sky a la Muslims, and then cross themselves. Maybe they are bi-religious.

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, a lot of them point two fingers to the sky a la Muslims, and then cross themselves. Maybe they are bi-religious.

yes many players from muslim countries do that BUT they are not muslims they are christians. In the muslim faith it is considered to be a sin for a muslim to cross themselves or wear a cross.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, bogs smith said:

the fortuneteller certainly is... she charges enough!!

There isn't a farang word to describe these revered Buddhist councilors and fortuneteller is something of a misnomer as they do not foretell the future but try and influence someones future by counselling them. They also pray to Buddha on their clients behalf in an attempt to change their fortunes for the better. They do not charge a fee but clients make a donation of goods or money for successful services rendered so if she wasn't good at her job she wouldn't get paid. Buddhism is steeped in superstition and even the government have public buildings exorcised of spirits by these Buddhist councilors (fortunetellers).

My mums half gypsy, I couldn't stop her asking a fortune teller in Bangkok how long has she got to live.

I was a bit miffed at the waste of money.  My mum was very ill and I thought she had about 5 years max to live.

Fortune teller she would live a long life.

She's still alive 15 years on, he was right!

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, bignok said:

Lots of highly successful sportsman and women are superstitous. They do things to create belief they will win.

i'm sure their super human skills hard work and determination at that sport have nothing to do with their success.