Extension of stay denied at CW because I spent 1 night in hotel

11 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Under the new rules he doesn't have to do another report when the gets back home, unless he's coming back in on a new visa. Bangkok have been complying with the new rules so the OP's case is strange.

Ok Good ! ... I guess that My Imm office Boss was right. I should not have bern fined. ...

But well it is easy for me ! ... Like I used to park my car right out side their door untill they went to the trouble of painting big ? Green  ? ... striped in front of it !!! ? ...

So I might keep on doung it on the couple of occasipns before I have to renew agaon. ? ... And then see what happens after that.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mark mark said:

Ok Good ! ... I guess that My Imm office Boss was right. I should not have bern fined. ...

But well it is easy for me ! ... Like I used to park my car right out side their door untill they went to the trouble of painting big ? Green  ? ... striped in front of it !!! ? ...

So I might keep on doung it on the couple of occasipns before I have to renew agaon. ? ... And then see what happens after that.

Some rogue Immigration Offices are still persisting with the old rules because...reasons. We even had a recent report that online TM30 was unacceptable and the poster is required to visit the IO after every trip away.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

How so? Since the rule change in June 2020 it is no longer necessary for "long-stayers" to submit a new TM30 when they come back from a trip either domestically or internationally. It's only required if you come back in on a new visa.

That's fully correct.

But it seems that recently some offices (CM, and according to this thread also CW) now want you to submit a new TM-30 notifying them that you are 'home again' after having stayed in a Hotel/Guesthouse that issued a TM-30 of your visit, thereby 'overwriting' your earlier TM-30 containing your offical address for Immigration purposes. 

Offices (or officers) that require you to do a new TM-30 after having returned home are not following the sensible official June 2020 change re TM-30 notification, making it no longer necessary to do that.  But as everyone knows, local Imm offices have the authority to impose additional requirements and interpret the rules as they see fit. 

The rejection rates for those applying for a 1-year extension of their current Non Imm O Visa that stayed in a Hotel/Guesthouse during the preceding period, will be gigantic if those offices insist on continuing doing that so I presume it will be a short-lived 'new' rule. 

But in order to avoid any trouble when applying for your 1-year extension (or wanting to do your 90-day report) because of your official address for immigration purposes having been overwritten by the TM-30 notification of the Hotel/Guesthouse you stayed, is relatively simple.

1 - When you are renting, ask the landlord to make a new TM-30 notification of you staying at their premises, and bring a copy of that with you when going to Immigration. Also bring a copy of the rental contract and a signed front/back copy of the ID-card of the landlord.

2 - When you are not renting, register your house or condo on the IO TM-30 website, this will allow you to issue a TM-30 yourself for any foreigner (including yourself) staying at your place. Note: Do PM me if you'd like to receive a comprehensive Guideline on how to do the above.  It's not rocket-science, but without clear explanation and instructions on how to do it, it would be once again a very Thai confusing experience.

Edited by Red Phoenix

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

That's fully correct.

But it seems that recently some offices (CM, and according to this thread also CW) now want you to submit a new TM-30 notifying them that you are 'home again' after having stayed in a Hotel/Guesthouse that issued a TM-30 of your visit, thereby 'overwriting' your earlier TM-30 containing your offical address for Immigration purposes. 

Offices (or officers) that require you to do a new TM-30 after having returned home are not following the sensible official June 2020 change re TM-30 notification, making it no longer necessary to do that.  But as everyone knows, local Imm offices have the authority to impose additional requirements and interpret the rules as they see fit. 

The rejection rates for those applying for a 1-year extension of their current Non Imm O Visa that stayed in a Hotel/Guesthouse during the preceding period, will be gigantic if those offices insist on continuing doing that so I presume it will be a short-lived 'new' rule. 

But in order to avoid any trouble when applying for your 1-year extension (or wanting to do your 90-day report) because of your official address for immigration purposes having been overwritten by the TM-30 notification of the Hotel/Guesthouse you stayed, is relatively simple.

1 - When you are renting, ask the landlord to make a new TM-30 notification of you staying at their premises, and bring a copy of that with you when going to Immigration. Also bring a copy of the rental contract and a signed front/back copy of the ID-card of the landlord.

2 - When you are not renting, register your house or condo on the IO TM-30 website, this will allow you to issue a TM-30 yourself for any foreigner (including yourself) staying at your place. Note: Do PM me if you'd like to receive a comprehensive Guideline on how to do the above.  It's not rocket-science, but without clear explanation and instructions on how to do it, it would be once again a very Thai confusing experience.

And when you travel use your Thai driver's license instead of your passport when you check into the hotel... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And when you travel use your Thai driver's license instead of your passport when you check into the hotel... 

Yes, when your Imm Office is not following the 2020 change re TM-30, it would be worthwhile trying to avoid when travelling domestically that the Hotel/Guesthouse uses the data in your Passport to notify local Immigration of you staying there. 

Since Hotels/Guesthouses are required by Thai law to do that, the recommended option would be that when you booked the Hotel in advance that you do it on your wife's name.  And on arrival tell that you left your Passport at home, but that they can register your wife for the Hotel-stay - and you being a 'surprise' guest - or you can provide them with some other ID (e.g. a Thai driver's license).  In most cases they will not refuse your business. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Ok....I think that's what it is.

Did you return to Thailand on new visa? 

You posted this in reply to @Lemsta69

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Under the new rules he doesn't have to do another report when the gets back home, unless he's coming back in on a new visa.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes, when your Imm Office is not following the 2020 change re TM-30,......(snip)

I think there is something wrong with this thread.

There are MANY extensions done at CW every day.

There have not been many threads similar to this issue at CW. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buick said:

the TM30 exercise is an odd one.  i'm at a hotel outside bkk (but in thailand) for a few days every month. my apartment manager has no idea when i return from these trips so does not do a new TM30.  but whatever she prints off for me before i go to CW each year seems to do the job.  

I'm on the usual annual extension based on retirement here in Chiangmai and have had no problem doing the online TM47 (90-day) reports until last week, same being rejected because I stayed in a hotel in Hua Hin a couple weeks ago which filed the usual TM30 for me.  So, I had to do the 90-day report in person (no issue, took 5 minutes) and then separately had to go in to "update" my TM30 address (and that only required for me to show them my passport which had the old TM30 Receipt of Notification with my long-time address on the form). As has been noted, the TM30 rules were changed 2-3 years back and supposedly one doesn't have to do a new TM30 or "update" if one returns to the same TM30 registered address.  Regardless of the so-called rules (which appear to vary by office and officer at times), I'm told the online TM47 reports are all handled somewhere in Bangkok and that at least occasionally other people are having the same problem I've had.  And it doesn't always happen that way (I stayed in the same Hua Hin hotel early last year too and had no problem in continuing with the online TM47 reports).  And apparently the problem never happens when one leaves and re-enters the country (I've been to Vietnam 3 times for short trips since January of 2022 and those hotels thankfully don't file TM30s in Thailand that would gum up the works). 

(The only reason I did the TM30 "update" was so I could merrily continue to file online TM47 reports) 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, CMBob said:

And it doesn't always happen that way (I stayed in the same Hua Hin hotel early last year too and had no problem in continuing with the online TM47 reports). 

There is the possibility that the Hotel/Guesthouse erroneously entered an incorrect type Visa on the TM-30 notification they made. 

When they wrote TouristVisa or VisaExempt their TM-30 would become your 'last known address' in Thailand.  When they write that you are on a Non Imm O Visa, the system should not change your official address for Immigration purposes.

Next time a Hotel/Guesthouse where you are staying makes the TM-30 notification, ask for a copy so that you can check whether they did it correctly. 

17 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I'm on the usual annual extension based on retirement here in Chiangmai and have had no problem doing the online TM47 (90-day) reports until last week.....

Nothing from CM is useful as they are a rogue immigration office.

They have their own rule book. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you return to Thailand on new visa? 

You posted this in reply to @Lemsta69

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Under the new rules he doesn't have to do another report when the gets back home, unless he's coming back in on a new visa.

Yes I returned to Thailand on evisa

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yes I returned to Thailand on evisa

Now we are getting somewhere, what type of Evisa? Is it NON-O? Are you in the process of switching to NON-O or the final stage of an annual extension?

Even though you mentioned 10 previous extensions of stay it now looks ore like you are applying for a new one, that right?

I'm not surprised you were asked for a TM30 given as you have reentered on a new visa. 

Nothing really to do with your hotel stay in this instance. So it appears to me.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Tm 30 can be done by any person

These stories keep coming about chasing landlords. Eventually somebody like you tells the true story.

The renter can submit the form themselves. I did it several times myself. It is totally legitimate as others like UbonJoe regularly explain.

Next week we'll see yet another such inquiry.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Now we are getting somewhere, what type of Evisa? Is it NON-O? Are you in the process of switching to NON-O or the final stage of an annual extension?

Even though you mentioned 10 previous extensions of stay it now looks ore like you are applying for a new one, that right?

I'm not surprised you were asked for a TM30 given as you have reentered on a new visa, nothing really to do with your hotel stay in this instance. So it appears to me.

I did a 60 day extendion on my non o e visa before this attempt.. They never asked me for any of this. After this 60 day extension I stayed 1 night in a hotel.

Nevertheless, I entered Thailand previously on a "marriage visa" stayed in dozens of hotels and never had this problem.

Edited by Celsius
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

How so? Since the rule change in June 2020 it is no longer necessary for "long-stayers" to submit a new TM30 when they come back from a trip either domestically or internationally. It's only required if you come back in on a new visa.

Asked about "domestic overnight trip" at my local office 3 days ago, when getting annual extension (retirement), answer was categorically "need new TM30" when get home. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Asked about "domestic overnight trip" at my local office 3 days ago, when getting annual extension (retirement), answer was categorically "need new TM30" when get home. 

At Chaengwattana?

Just now, Celsius said:

Yes my wife got PR. I don't live in UK. We are not moving back tomorrow.

Ah, so I was right, and I never said you live in the UK, but I do know you said you were moving back now Mrs. T as permission to stay..

Glad we got that sorted....????

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I did a 60 day extendion on my non o e visa before this attempt.. They never asked me for any of this. After this 60 day extension I stayed 1 night in a hotel.

Nevertheless, I entered Thailand previously on a "marriage visa" stayed in dozens of hotels and never had this problem.

I assume what you mean by "I entered Thailand previously on a "marriage visa" stayed in dozens of hotels and never had this problem." is that you reentered Thailand on a re-entry visa thus resuming your permission to stay based on marriage (you did mention extending 10 years). If this is true you would be doing TM47 and have an established address and there would be no reason to do a TM30. You could go stay in all the hotels you want and not run into a TM30 requirement.

However what you're doing now is going through the process of obtaining a new extension, of course your official address has to be confirmed and you will be back doing TM47 again and obtaining re-entry visa to keep your new extension of stay valid.

New extension, new TM30 - I don't expect you'll have any problem once your extension is approved with TM30 again, with the caveat that you don't change your address.

Good luck today. You got this.

• Love It 1