Srettha’s got some serious explaining to do

webfact

18 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

..... and as I have pointed out several times the rural person may have no where to spend the bt10k because it's restricted (somehow) to a 4km radius. Unless the local mom and pop shop or small shop has the capacity (how?) to accept the digital wallet it seems to me that the money is useless. As it stands there is nowhere in the small villages that accepts the blue card and many people have to travel more than 4 km to find somewhere that does. Just another thought bubble policy that no real thought has been given to. Very typical of Thailand.

I think they could just transfer it to the shops bank account. Many Thais seem to love money  transfer for even the smallest amount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I think they could just transfer it to the shops bank account. Many Thais seem to love money  transfer for even the smallest amount. 

Indeed. A very good point. Cheers. If this is this case though how will they be able to tell that booze has not been bought which as I remember your not able to do? Just a thought.

43 minutes ago, John Drake said:

To me, this is the Thai version of those Covid stimulus checks some of the rest of the world got two years ago. Some didn't need them. A lot did. Just getting them out to people across the board was a life saver for a lot of people. Don't dither about the 10,000 baht. Just do it.

Well, all my wives staff got some money from government during covid...and they were extremely happy with it (and immediately started gambling)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's a stimulus policy. Much needed. Other parties in power have had the same opportunity to do this for the past three years. But they didn't.  

So it is just coincidence that they came up with this just before

an election?

13 minutes ago, jvs said:

So it is just coincidence that they came up with this just before

an election?

When else are they supposed to propose it when they're out of government? It's part of their campaign platform. Besides, plenty of people argued during Covid that the existing government crack open the piggy bank and spend some of the surplus it had accumulated in direct funding. Instead, they came up with their own stimulus plans, remember?  Pay 3000 and get another 3000 for targetted spending. A few scandals about that, too. This current plan seems more direct, although there needs to be some changes to who is authorized to receive money. OTOH, I understand wanting to keep it within a 4 km or whatever radius, because the idea would be to stimulate small areas, whereas the last plan above ended up actually moving money out of small rural villages.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

It's a stimulus policy. Much needed. Other parties in power have had the same opportunity to do this for the past three years. But they didn't.  

Come on, "Vote for us and we'll give you all money" is a stimulus package and not another way of vote buying? Do you really believe that?

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, it's likely less costly to give 10k to everyone than to means-test the handout.

While I don't exactly condone the "hand-out" per-say as it is a form of vote buying, I agree that the same value should be equal for all.

It would be most unfair to give 10,000 to a "poor person" and 100,000 to a richer one?

Everyone is equal.

The poor would be grateful and the rich wouldn't care less.

4 hours ago, h90 said:

Well, all my wives staff got some money from government during covid...and they were extremely happy with it (and immediately started gambling)

That was a cash giveaways while the PTP's package is digital money with conditions. . 

I was in Hong Kong a few weeks ago, and noticed the same trend there with many retailers insisting on payment by a 'tap & go' credit/debit card than handling cash...even for simple bills such as a snack & coffee.

Coincidentally, the gov't there is also rolling out a stimulus program but more generous than that in proposed by Pheu Thai Party here, in line with the significantly higher cost of living over in HK.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, it's likely less costly to give 10k to everyone than to means-test the handout.

I read I think on Thaiger that the 10k is only going to go to the people with family income under 20k

My question though is what does a 16 year old kid in school need with 10k

This sounds to me as vote buying in a new form instead of paying and hoping what they are saying is vote and then we will give you 10k

I have a feeling that this will be headed to the courts and if PT wins the majority then the non Thaksin camps will use it to kill the PT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Indeed. A very good point. Cheers. If this is this case though how will they be able to tell that booze has not been bought which as I remember your not able to do? Just a thought.

Didn't know about the booze bit. Maybe they will rely on the rèsponsibility and honesty of the mum and dad shop keepers.????  Perhaps only allow them to be used between the hours that alcohol can not be purchased. Everybody knows that all shops abide by that law????

11 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I read I think on Thaiger that the 10k is only going to go to the people with family income under 20k

My question though is what does a 16 year old kid in school need with 10k

This sounds to me as vote buying in a new form instead of paying and hoping what they are saying is vote and then we will give you 10k

I have a feeling that this will be headed to the courts and if PT wins the majority then the non Thaksin camps will use it to kill the PT

My question though is what does a 16 year old kid in school need with 10k.... buys Chang and fake JW for dad for a few weeks.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

My question though is what does a 16 year old kid in school need with 10k.... buys Chang and fake JW for dad for a few weeks.

lol some of the 16-year-olds that I know buy the JD for themselves

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That was a cash giveaways while the PTP's package is digital money with conditions. . 

Right conditions.  You can't buy booze at 7/11 but gpo to the mom and pop and they wil sllyou 10K of rice noodles and coke

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A new phone? 

That's a possibility of course.

Also possible that dad actually/fully controls the 10,000Baht and in many areas /sectors of rural society dad is focused on what dad wants. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

That's a possibility of course.

Also possible that dad actually/fully controls the 10,000Baht and in many areas /sectors of rural society dad is focused on what dad wants. 

Lau Khao and loose tobacco - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 10:30 AM, John Drake said:

To me, this is the Thai version of those Covid stimulus checks some of the rest of the world got two years ago. Some didn't need them. A lot did. Just getting them out to people across the board was a life saver for a lot of people. Don't dither about the 10,000 baht. Just do it.

Thailand did it already.....during Covid people got money from government.