Weatherman says current hot weather in Thailand does not qualify as a heat wave

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

I am at a loss for his take on this. Yet if it's truly low pressure causing the high heat then we'll it's not a heat wave.

Heat waves begin when high pressure in the atmosphere moves in and pushes warm air toward the ground. That air warms up further as it is compressed, and we begin to feel a lot hotter. The high-pressure system pressing down on the ground expands vertically, forcing other weather systems to change course.Jun 16, 2022

image.png

I think you'll find what classifies as a heat wave depends on the countries definition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

The guy is correct. It's a brief period of heat. It wasn't that hot last month.

Yep. The hot season started a bit late, the winds were still predominantly NW but I think the seasons have changed. Pollution will decrease and heat will increase, actuallty already has. Last 3 days have been very hot. Pretty much all of next week is going to be hot. 

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. The hot season started a bit late, the winds were still predominantly NW but I think the seasons have changed. Pollution will decrease and heat will increase, actuallty already has. Last 3 days have been very hot. Pretty much all of next week is going to be hot. 

So a short heat wave then.

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is hot, but not unusually hot for Thailand during the hot season. The weather forecaster is correct. If the weather we are encountering now were to occur in Thailand in January, it would be accurate to call that a "heat wave". 

Mate I agree. As I say heat wave or not it's hot. Should keep going like this for a few weeks or more. Out of interest this is how it's defined in AUS.

The Bureau of Meteorology defines a heatwave as three or more days in a row when both daytime and night-time temperatures are unusually high—in relation to the local long-term climate and the recent past. There is no single temperature threshold for a heatwave in Australia.

Ok guess it's not unusually high here. About normal for this time of year. Hot which I think is quite strange considering it's the HOT SEASON.????

Edited by Pink Mist
Oversized font reduced
  • Haha 1

I've said once and I'll say it again. You just can't make this stuff up.

Screenshot (1104).png

It's pretty normal weather for this time of year and the bottom story is based on AccuWeather. I gave up on them years ago when every time there was a huge storm AccuWeather was showing it was sunny.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

an extended period of hot weather relative to the expected conditions of the area at that time of year, which may be accompanied by high humidity.

Climate change denier?

"Thailand is expected to be severely affected by validate change, with its vulnerability shaped by geographical and socioeconomic features. The German Watch Global Climate Rusk Index 2021 ranked Thailand's long-term Climate risk index as 9th in the world." ref. www,fao.org

"Thailand has seen a marked increase in temperatures and changes in rainfall patterns over the past thirty years." ref. climateknowledgeportal.workdbank.org

"The impact of climate change to Thailand; such as higher surface temperatures, floods, droughts, severe storms and sea level rise, is more likely to put Thaikand's food production at risk, especially rice productions." ref. "Climate Change Impacts on Water Resources: Key challenges to Thailand CC* adaptation," by Sudtida Pliankarom Thanasupsin, Environment Project Group, Office of Project Management, RID

* Climate Change (CC)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

This guy is about as accurate as the UK weather forecaster that predicted mild winds a few hours before the bad winds uprooted trees back in the 80's

Michael Fish..   I think 

Edited by actonion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both a year ago and two years ago, the high temperature for today and yesterday was around 33. It has been cool the last two years. So this year seems excessively hot in comparison. But I think it's a degree or two at most over the average. I think a lot of people coming from Europe just can't deal with this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He dismissed as inaccurate a foreign media report that the worst heat wave in history is currently threatening India, China, Thailand and Laos.

Another Michael Fish in the making?

I completely agree. This is not hot weather.  Maybe for folks from Europe or America, but for someone from Central America, this is normal.  Folks whine too much when a little heat and humidity arrives around April.  That is why  I respect the locals, they ride it out every year and are bundle up, even when it is hot and humid....55555.

Amazing how they wear so much clothes during the day....when it is hot and humid.

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

get use to it.  global warming.  scientist have predicted this for decades.  the world has made its bed.  doubt humanity has the discipline to change its lifestyles. selfish lemmings.

Are these the same scientists that said it was GW, then Climate Change, then Climate Disruption???  Are these the same folks from Al Gore's scam,,,,"An Inconvenient Truth"?

I too have a science and engineering background and do not care what is going on with the weather as it is just that....WEATHER!!!!  Humans are too arrogant and think we are soooooo bad that we can mess up this 4.5 billion years old planet....here is a tip...we are parasites on this rock....get use to it...and stop thinking that we are the top dog. OK!  Nothing we do can change the cycles of weather on this planet.

The arrogance of humans knows no bounds!!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

Are these the same scientists that said it was GW, then Climate Change, then Climate Disruption???  Are these the same folks from Al Gore's scam,,,,"An Inconvenient Truth"?

I too have a science and engineering background and do not care what is going on with the weather as it is just that....WEATHER!!!!  Humans are too arrogant and think we are soooooo bad that we can mess up this 4.5 billion years old planet....here is a tip...we are parasites on this rock....get use to it...and stop thinking that we are the top dog. OK!  Nothing we do can change the cycles of weather on this planet.

The arrogance of humans knows no bounds!!!!

So far, the effect on Thailand of global climate change has been small, though there is some evidence of changes in monsoon patterns which, if confirmed, could be devastating.

That aside, humans are having a huge effect on our planet. As a direct result of human activity, global forest cover has declined from around 50% in 1800 to around 30% today, and deforestation is actually intensifying. The nature of many forests that do exist today is also markedly different. Primary forests have been replaced by tree plantations. As a consequence of this and other factors, we are now in the midst of the holocene mass extinction event, with animal species being eliminated at a greater rate than at any other time in the last 66 million years. Pollution (especially microplastic pollution) is having a major impact on the health of most animal species, including humans, damaging DNA, organs and reproduction.

Human induced changes to the atmosphere are already responsible for major changes to the climate in some regions, notably the arctic and parts of the Antarctic. These changes, in turn, are expected to precipitate alterations in ocean currents and wind patterns greatly impacting the weather in large parts of the globe. That is aside from gradual increases in sea levels that will either necessitate evacuations of coastal communities, or enormous investment in coastal defences.

Humans have the technology to do harm to the planet that other animal species do not possess. Unfortunately, that technological prowess is not matched with the intelligence to use that technology wisely.