Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia

snoop1130

On 4/22/2023 at 12:05 AM, MrJ2U said:

Monster electric bills. 

I just got my electric bill for April.

I used 293 extra units of electricity and my bill went from 4.959 baht to 7,183 baht and the FT element this time was 1,206 baht compared to 844 baht.

Sadly my lounge a/c died 5 days ago and all the a/c guys are busy with new installations and repairing existing ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I used 293 extra units of electricity and my bill went from 4.959 baht to 7,183 baht and the FT element this time was 1,206 baht compared to 844 baht.

Sadly my lounge a/c died 5 days ago and all the a/c guys are busy with new installations and repairing existing ones.

Crazy!

We're expecting the highest bill ever with visitors in the guest house and the aircons working overtime in the heat. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Crazy!

We're expecting the highest bill ever with visitors in the guest house and the aircons working overtime in the heat. 

Everyone knows that a/c gives you the jips.

Better to turn it off and get a couple of decent fans.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/22/2023 at 6:16 AM, Credo said:

It's not an agenda, the 'feels like' index is important for people who have to be outside for extended periods of time.  It's the same with the other end of the scale where wind chill gives a better idea of how dangerous cold can be.   

I'm not sure what it "feels like" outside today, but in here it often "looks like" brains have been left out in the sun for too long. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2023 at 12:33 PM, bignok said:

29 to 33 aint hot. 38 to 40 is hot. Thailand is always hot in April.

According to  my small weather centre, here is rural Kamphaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park, in the house is 34.5C and 44% humidity, outside is 38.5C and 31% humidity. The a/c is broken awaiting the repair man (5 days as they are very busy).

It is hot.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

According to  my small weather centre, here is rural Kamphaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park, in the house is 34.5C and 44% humidity, outside is 38.5C and 31% humidity. The a/c is broken awaiting the repair man (5 days as they are very busy).

It is hot.

At 4:40pm there was thunder and lightning coming from the south. By 4:45pm there was heavy rain,and at 6:50pm inside was 33.2C, 57% and outside 30.4C and 65%  humidity.

Much nicer outside now.

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

confirmed as 54 in si chiang mai 

54 °C in the sun?

It seems to be a new fashion in Thailand to give the temperature in the sun. Here in Italy, weather forecasts and news reports always give the temperature in the shade.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:59 PM, Stargeezr said:

54C in the sun, 38C in the deep shade, and 45C inside the house.

That is a heat wave to me.

Nah, that's just a house in need of some decent insulation in the roof LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Gotta feel sorry for the locals, Hot and one of the most polluted countries in the world. Tourists and expats living there, I have no sympathy for what so ever.  

I'm sad now - we really needed your sympathy. 

Edited by JensenZ

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Been there. It's not a good time to have air conditioning units repaired or installed. The thing is most people wait until the hot time of year before they have their units serviced (or at least try to).

• Like 1

Locals don't know any better, most retiree's know you need to tighten up a home and insulate it. I have yet to be in a retiree's home that was even close to energy efficient.  All it would take is a very little effort to tighten up a home , add insulation and new windows.. But, of course that would require a little effort.

Edited by Gknrd

20 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Heat and Humidity, try 70kms out in the Persian Gulf July/August no wind. Oil company 'Cool Breaks' were mandatory.........

Working in the Saudi desert replacing oil in a transformer had me running to the car to put the engine and AC on .......!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, JensenZ said:

If 44.6 C was the hottest recorded temperature in Thailand recorded in 2016, until a new record of 45.4C in 2023, that means that from 2017 - 2023 (7 years) the highs were lower than 44.6C. They are misusing statistics to suit their biased opinions. All it shows is a short 7-year cycle with no intermediate highs offered. Any cycle will have highs and lows. Were there highs at or lower than  43.8C in this 7-year period. If so, would they be claiming that the climate is cooling? Of course not. They are looking for numbers to suit their narrative.

I'd want to see what we never will see. Accurate temperature readings for hundreds of years. 

Yes, RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES do not get hit each new day. Weather is affected by time of the year and a string of variables. The trend (the climate) though is unmistakable. The Earth is warming and the insulation level of greenhouse gases are now at levels not seen for the last 3 million years. That is why the current starting position for an El Nino is concerning. During the El Nino that Peaked in 2016, Earth warmed to a new plateau of temperatures. While 2014 was the warmest year experienced until then, it is the coolest of the years since then. It looks like 2023 is about to start us up to anew and higher plateau on the graphs of global temperature. As cited last time.
♦ Sea Surface temperatures are at a record high, have been so since early March, and are not yet dropping as past years have done.
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/
♦ All 3 persistent greenhouse gases are at record high concentrations, trapping more heat into Earth's system
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/monthly.html
♦ We are entering this summer with the 2nd lowest Arctic Sea Ice Volume on record. (We also know the waters beneath the ice are warmer than in past years.
http://polarportal.dk/fileadmin/polarportal/sea/CICE_curve_thick_LA_EN_20230414.png

You wanted accurate global temperature readings for hundreds of years. The MOST precise data goes back to 1880, as broken out in the graphs at the right as attached. The larger graph at the left lists the specific studies, color coded by the time frame. The level of uncertainty is designated by the lighter greens and blues above and below the primary line. The basis for the green line is a 2013 study.
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.1228026

It is discussed more accessibly at:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130307145303.htm

960638290_EarthsTempHistoryvsNow.jpg.36eb68fdb93249dd07b5619417b6ea76.jpg

• Confused 2

On 4/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, ftpjtm said:

I spent an hour exercising in the local outdoor exercise park this morning. The thermometer read 33° and it felt like 33° to me. 

I've been in desert environments with high actual temperatures and very low humidity. The low humidity didn't make it "feel" cooler. 33° in the desert feels like 33° in a very dry environment. I'm much more comfortable in the humidity. Heat Index temperatures are a click bait headline generating phenomenon. 

You didn't learn much in that dry desert environment as you obviously don't have a clue about how humidity affects how a temperature feels. All weather sites have temp, humidity and temperature feel indicators. It's not to promote anything - it's just fact. The higher the humidity, the hotter it feels.

The easiest way to prove you wrong is by going into a sauna and putting some water on the coals. I guarantee it will feel twice as hot. Wait for the steam to disipitate, and it will still feel much hotter as the air will be at 100% humidity.

Another trickier way would be to have 2 thermometers/hygrometers set up in 2 rooms. One of them at room temperature, and the other that has been air conditioned for a long time and turned off so the temperature can return to the same temperature as the non-airconditioned room BUT maintains a lower humidity. The room at the same temperature but lower humidity will feel considerably cooler. I have 2 rooms like this. One room had 75% at 30.5C and the other room was 40% humidity @30.5C. You'll be amazed at the difference in temperature feel.

If you buy some thermometers/hygrometers and experiment, you might learn something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2023 at 2:35 AM, soi3eddie said:

I think @spidermike007 means remote from rest of the world. In SE Asia there are about a dozen countries to visit within 4 hours flying time of Bangkok.  How many countries are within 4 hours of main cities in Australia?

Assuming full cruising altitude @ about 900km/h *4 hours, within a 3600 km diameter circle from Brisbane airport:

1. New Zealand

2. Papua New Guinea.

3. Indonesia

4. Fiji

5. Solomon Islands

6. Vanuatu

7. Nauru

8. Tuvalu

9. Timor-Leste

10. New Caledonia

11. Tonga

12. Tasmania

From Darwin:

1. New Zealand.

2. Papua New Guinea

3. Indonesia

4. Malaysia

5. Vietnam

6. Philippines

7. Brunei

8. Guam

9. Palau

10. Singapore

11. Timor-Leste

12. Tasmania

A post that had a reply within the quoted content has been removed:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RPCVguy said:

After making two false statements, you express opinions lacking any understanding of the chemistry and physics as meticulously tracked. The lack of research on your part is ludicrous to include in a discussion. You make accusations against people who have devoted their lives to precisely understanding aspects of our environment. You believe the science that conveniently supplies satellite data to your phone, provides weather maps, warns of major storms - yet refuse to accept the same data as gathered and applied inconveniently to your ideology.
I've a degree in chemistry, work experience in oil company research labs, before working in chemicals & plastics. Now retired, I have taken added courses in climate science and quite well understand the basics of how greenhouse gases act as insulation, which human society is adding to our atmosphere.

That's worse, that you claimed yourself that you know the climate of the earth 3 million years ago. I thought you might have copied and pasted it from somewhere. This is nothing more than a wild guess and you're claiming it as a fact. You keep posting the same links from climate change advocates. It's biased material - that's also a fact. I didn't need your resume as it means nothing here. People can pretend to be anything they like here. Maybe you're promoting your own websites.

• Thanks 1