Resort Owner Shocked As Power Bill Soars Over 700,000 Baht

webfact

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There is only one sure fire way and that is to charge extra for electric, You watch the guest turn it off then, 

Easy solution for that but only works when they leave the room but not for leaving the doors or windows open and keep the air con running :thumbsup:

spacer.png

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Time to go solar then. No excuse in a country with so much sunlight for not doing so.

I'll bet his rooms all have airconditioners, and solar would work for them during the day.

Of course he could go for the option that many resorts used when I was staying on beaches and only have power in the evening, and cold water showers.

Solar would not help as the investment required would outweigh any savings for some years .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Easy solution for that but only works when they leave the room but not for leaving the doors or windows open and keep the air con running :thumbsup:

spacer.png

I'm aware of them but you have to have one that is compatible with the door lock, with that one they can leave it in and go out, The other thing I did see was door sensors that sound off an alarm when left open how good they are I don't know.

• Like 2

The price increase in electricity is being piled onto the large users of electricity .

With an election coming up i can understand the motive why small users are not seeing any dramatic price increases .

• Like 1

And as mentioned the hottest month of the year. Both of my Thai neighbours asked me if our bill had gone up from last month, they have never done that before.

All three of us saw increases of over 30% from the previous month. I had anticipated it as the wife turns on aircons for most of the day and night when it is this hot. I guess my neighbours did

similar but did not expect such an increase.

For the record my bill was almost twice the neighbours bills combined. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, MJCM said:

spacer.png

I just stayed in a hotel in Phuket. They only gave you one key, like the one above, so when you went out the electricity was off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Time to go solar then. No excuse in a country with so much sunlight for not doing so.

I'll bet his rooms all have airconditioners, and solar would work for them during the day.

Of course he could go for the option that many resorts used when I was staying on beaches and only have power in the evening, and cold water showers.

There are now available here, 48v DC split air conditioners..up to 24000btus…not so cheap at around Thb75K, but no big scares at this time of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There is only one sure fire way and that is to charge extra for electric, You watch the guest turn it off then, 

Tourist just don't get it they will have the A/C running with all the windows and doors open, I even tell them the garden doesn't need cooling down they are tropical plants.

Also getting them to turn it off when they go out is another problem that is just complete waste, there is a few things you can do, install a keycard system so when they take the card out the electric goes off.

These multi billion dollar A/C companies could help by designing a motion detector if no movement it goes of after 15 minutes, I did write to LG about it, No they don't have, 

Maintenance of the A/C unit is important but Im afraid it's not high on the agenda with Thai's as long as it's still running that's ok, 

Certain nationalities which I've noticed have the place like a fridge.

Yes the Keycard to run the aircon is a must........Number one best thing to do...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

There are now available here, 48v DC split air conditioners..up to 24000btus…not so cheap at around Thb75K, but no big scares at this time of the year.

Don't forget to add Batteries ($$$) else you will only have air con running during the day ????

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

How about just having a modest number of solar panels that only covered SOME of the power useage and only during the day.....A whole lot less batteries would be needed and it would be way cheaper to build...

But to offset a Leccy Bill of 700k THB that would still need a major investment.

Make it 25% only so  lets say 700.000 / 4 = 175.000 THB leccy bill

(Rough calculation)  @Crossy please correct me if I am wrong)

That would require approx 450.000W of Panels.

Let's assume 1 Panel = 500W = 450.000W / 500W = 900 Panels

Let's assume 1 Panel costs 4500 THB = 900 * 4500 = 4.050.000 THB (and that is for the panels alone thus not including labour, inverters, cables, mounting brackets etc etc etc etc) (adding batteries to store electricity to that would double or triple that amount)

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another thing you can try which I did for a friend some years ago, He had 4 bungalows for rent and it was the same story, We put a master switch outside the door so everything went off except the fridge, 

Make sure you tell the guest what it's for, it did help, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

These multi billion dollar A/C companies could help by designing a motion detector if no movement it goes of after 15 minutes, I did write to LG about it, No they don't have, 

Such motion detector switches are easily available, why not just put them in instead of deleted on about the OEMs?