UPDATE: Injured young Brit transferred to UK for treatment after 3 months in Thailand hospital

snoop1130

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Please explain where and why I am not correct.

If you own a motorcycle and lone it to someone that you have full knowledge that they have no license and worse still not any experience riding a motorcycle you could be liable for prosecution and paying compensation.

That is the same for a company hiring out a motorcycle.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, itsari said:

If you own a motorcycle and lone it to someone that you have full knowledge that they have no license and worse still not any experience riding a motorcycle you could be liable for prosecution and paying compensation.

That is the same for a company hiring out a motorcycle.

who told you this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Firstly, it is not a loan it is a hire.

Secondly, nobody is forced to rent a bike/scooter.

Thirdly, the onus is on the renter to make sure that he is insured and has a proper helmet.

Fourthly, it is the hirers responsibility to make sure that he adheres to the t&c of his insurance policy, not the owner of the bike.

if he takes a chance that nothing will happen to him, and he is lucky, then all well and good.

If something bad happens to him, then it is his problem for knowingly taking that chance,

living in a dream world if you think the sole person responsible is the person renting .

Problem arises if the owner has no assets . 

1 hour ago, itsari said:

living in a dream world if you think the sole person responsible is the person renting .

The m/c owners do have a lot of assets in the number of m/c that they own. However as usual in Thailand, the law may say one thing but enforcing the laws rely on the police, who are in some cases also the owners of the m/c rental places.

As I have said several times before, nobody forces any tourist to rent a m/c. If a tourist rents he takes his chances with the rental and his insurance company.

If no tourist rents, the m/c hirers may go out of  business or simply rent to Thais.

Who else can be responsible for hiring the m/c if not the hirer?

Edited by billd766
added extra text

19 hours ago, PaDavid said:

I understand all the arguments about checking the small print on insurance documents, but we were all young once and how many of us can honestly say we never did anything reckless?

What I don’t understand is why he was treated in a Bangkok hospital. In a state facility his bill would have been considerably less. 

I guess because no one with him knew better. I made a similar mistake years ago. Fortunately my friend's in patient admission was only for 24 hrs for observation. Still it cost around  20,000 baht I recall. 

It’s about time that the government enforced laws on these scamming crooks who rent out anything to anyone. I’ve seem  young kids driving, disgusting. It’s all very well selling Canabis on every street corner, getting blind drunk and causing trouble, foreign hookers ignored by police,

rip off artists everywhere ( please don’t disagree!) , they should close everyone down  who rents out these illegal killing machines  businesses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

The m/c owners do have a lot of assets in the number of m/c that they own. However as usual in Thailand, the law may say one thing but enforcing the laws rely on the police, who are in some cases also the owners of the m/c rental places.

As I have said several times before, nobody forces any tourist to rent a m/c. If a tourist rents he takes his chances with the rental and his insurance company.

If no tourist rents, the m/c hirers may go out of  business or simply rent to Thais.

Who else can be responsible for hiring the m/c if not the hirer?

A number of motorcycles is hardly adding up to an amount of money to bother taking legal action . The shop they operate from is most probably rented and often the motorcycles would  be owned by a finance company.

A civil action would be decided by a judge , not the police .

In my area when the COVID restrictions were keeping the tourists away the motorcycle hire businesses were hardly doing any business . Thais would not keep the shops busy if there business vanished because tourists were made to have a motorcycle license .

I was told by a Chinese tourist before COVID that he was forced to pay extra from a rental business because he had no license . How common that practice is I have no idea .

Dodgy business in my opinion.

3 hours ago, geisha said:

It’s about time that the government enforced laws on these scamming crooks who rent out anything to anyone. I’ve seem  young kids driving, disgusting.

It's all about being accountable for your actions. 

I see lots of comments attacking the motorbike rental companies but at the end of the day people should be responsible, too many articles about foreigners coming to Thailand and doing things that they would never do back in their own countries. 

It seems people are too quick to blame Thailand, it's not about Thailand it's about stupid people coming here and acting reckless. 

These articles I read are about grown adults not children. 

The headline is baiting 'injured young Brit'. 

The guy is an adult. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:08 PM, worgeordie said:

If only they were that servere with DUI drivers ........but putting up a picture

of a beer on the Internet , your in big trouble...  the irony .

regards worgeordie

17 hours ago, transam said:

Can you post links to those three, might be an interesting read......????

It wasn't a news link. While I was working in Pattaya last year I saw it first hand horrible. One was a French guy swerved on his motorcycle to miss a dog. Ended up in ICU for 2 months and then they took him off life support. French government was paying a half a million baht a day to keep him alive. 

9 hours ago, itsari said:

Even when the renter has signed a contract accepting all liability and responsibility?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NoshowJones said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should anyone have to produce an itemised hospital invoice that details their medical treatment to anonymous AN posters?

I know someone who went to a government hospital for very minor treatment, he was given the price of 500 odd Bt written on a piece of paper, the previous cost for the same treatment at the same hospital was 300 odd Bt, in a proper itemised invoice.

So what?   I asked you why anyone should have to produce an itemised hospital invoice that details their medical treatment to anonymous AN posters on this forum?  For some odd reason you seem to be assuming that no proper invoice was provided in the case that is the subject of this thread.  That is almost certainly wrong as an insurance claim was made which would not be possible without a proper bill.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?   I asked you why anyone should have to produce an itemised hospital invoice that details their medical treatment to anonymous AN posters on this forum?  For some odd reason you seem to be assuming that no proper invoice was provided in the case that is the subject of this thread.  That is almost certainly wrong as an insurance claim was made which would not be possible without a proper bill.

As far as I know, there was no insurance claim involved in this case.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, arick said:

Ended up in ICU for 2 months and then they took him off life support. French government was paying a half a million baht a day to keep him alive. 

I find this hard to believe. ????

Governments don't hand over half a million baht a day for medical expenses. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So no scam, then.

You understood nothing.

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should anyone have to produce an itemised hospital invoice that details their medical treatment to anonymous AN posters?

????

4 hours ago, arick said:

It wasn't a news link. While I was working in Pattaya last year I saw it first hand horrible. One was a French guy swerved on his motorcycle to miss a dog. Ended up in ICU for 2 months and then they took him off life support. French government was paying a half a million baht a day to keep him alive. 

The French people working and paying taxes in France , paying for the medical treatment of a guy in Pattaya who didn't buy adequate insurance ? 

IMO, thats not fair on the French tax payers working back home 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

There was. It was denied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

From the Thaiger link in the OP:

Susan said that Richardson’s insurance didn’t pay out because anyone who rents a motorbike above 50cc must have completed a bike competency test in the UK, which he didn’t know because the shop that rented him the bike only asked for his money and driving license.

Edited by jerrymahoney

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the Thaiger link in the OP:

Susan said that Richardson’s insurance didn’t pay out because anyone who rents a motorbike above 50cc must have completed a bike competency test in the UK, which he didn’t know because the shop that rented him the bike only asked for his money and driving license.

The posts here have somehow gotten mixed up. "Where no insurance was involved"

was about someone getting charged for medical treatment with no invoice. Not anything to do with the British guy in the motorbike accident.

On 4/26/2023 at 6:39 AM, itsari said:

You raise a good point on why are foreigners taken to a private hospital rather than a government hospital in the first instance . I think i know the reason and that is for the ambulance personell receive a remittence for bringing in the prey for the private hospital . 

I was involved in an accident on a motorcycle  where I wa taken to a private hospital . I remember nothing about how i arrived there . When i realised more what was going on i asked to be taken to a goverment hospital and that was done . Yet there was a 28,000 baht invoice given for nothing more than laying on a bed for 12 hours .

I learnt that according to law if a person is unconcious then the ambulance staff are obliged to take you to the nearest government hospital .

And the first 2 days in Emergency should be free. The Rescue boys will drive past any number of govt hospitals to deposit you at the kickback private. And they do it to Thais also 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The French people working and paying taxes in France , paying for the medical treatment of a guy in Pattaya who didn't buy adequate insurance ? 

IMO, thats not fair on the French tax payers working back home 

Yes....because governments are so careful spending the taxpayer's money.

• Haha 2

Glad to see the young man on road to recovery…. All moto rentals all over the world should legally be responsible that renter have valid motorcycle license and are offered insurance for a fee. If the rental shops don’t check then shut them down. 

dry roads and law abiding vehicle / moto drivers ….riding a motorcycle is relatively safe… add rain , oil, sand even the best riders go down … 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 3:05 AM, ujayujay said:

Yeah.....remove the Catheter before the flight!! You have no Idea, am I right?????

Well yes.

It should have been removed weeks, if not months before. 

What the heck was this hospital thinking....let it go septic? The Brits saw fit to, painfully, remove it immediately. 

Painfully? Had tissue grown into and around the Catheter it was left in so long?