Does your Thai partner know much about history outside of Thailand?

sharksy

I asked my Mrs what did Thai's think at the time about B52's taking off from Utapao Airport and Ramasun Listening Station at Udon Thani? Did Thai rice farmers have any sympathy for Vietnamese rice farmers caught in the middle of it all? She said we didn't know much!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I even asked some Thai’s “who’s is Tiger Woods?”.  The answer is “who he”.  I thought for sure at least some would know one of the greatest golfers is half Thai.  

Lots of Thai's I know dont even like him, When I asked why he never admitted to being Thai, 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

I've known a whole lot of them who cannot find their own village on a map . . . 

BW..same here.Years ago I returned to my home town(Canada) for a visit which is 12 kilometers from Niagara Falls. I took many photos and got postcards etc to show my stepdaughter (teens) one of the wonders of the world.I sat her down in front of my computer for her to enjoy something she'll most likely never see. Less than two minutes into the presentation her phone rang...she answered and that was the end of that.

I now realize that all the pics I took when myself and some mates were riding our HDs around Thailand,Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia are actually only for my own use.I seldom take photos any more. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Ok, let's turn this around. I am sure we have some members here who are proud about their knowledge about countries, locations, history, current politics, etc. from all over the world.

Maybe this helps you in business or investment. But apart from that, how does that knowledge make everyday life better?

I think it's good to know that the local government is not to blame when gasoline prices rise because international oil prices rise. But apart from that, what does it really help in normal life?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

I've told my wife (Laotian) about some historical events. She feigns interest but at the end of the day, doesn't really give a flying ****.

Best way to be. Why stress over past events that had nothing to do with you.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, let's turn this around. I am sure we have some members here who are proud about their knowledge about countries, locations, history, current politics, etc. from all over the world.

Maybe this helps you in business or investment. But apart from that, how does that knowledge make everyday life better?

I think it's good to know that the local government is not to blame when gasoline prices rise because international oil prices rise. But apart from that, what does it really help in normal life?

Does the opposite. People worrying about stuff that doesn't exist anymore. 

Don't watch Thai TV because I can't understand Thai language. Whole family only seem to watch the soaps and spend (or waste) the rest of their time on their smartphones. In UK I used to watch the news, weather, films (not many) and documentaries. My Mrs would never sit and watch a documentary. Perhaps karaoke is to blame?  

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

most thai's live in their own little Thailand bubble .....  they know nothing about the world outside ...     especially today's youth

Probably that makes them happier as if they would know much about the rest of the world.

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think that because human nature is kind of universal, and things tend to repeat themselves, we can learn lessons from things that have happened in history that help us to understand what is happening now and what might happen in the future.  This is particularly relevant when it comes to politics and other things that affect society. 

As an example, the writing of George Orwell is incredibly useful in identifying patterns of fascism, the use of propaganda, how communism/ideology is used to control people and how easy it is to slip into authoritarianism from a movement that starts out claiming to be about setting people free and liberating them from oppressors.

People often comment on Orwell and say that he "predicted" this and that, but in reality, a lot of Orwell's writing was based on what had happened in the past and what was going on at the time of writing.  For example, 1984 is cited as predicting what we see happening in some places now, but it is actually based on Stalinist Russia set in England in a WW2 time period.

Along with learning lessons from the past, the study of history is going to increase higher order thinking skills, like critical thinking and creativity.  I know a lot of people don't see the point of studying anything where it isn't going to be directly applied, but generally, studying for the sake of studying will have benefits in every part of someone's life.

I think it also helps us to understand who we are as people, learning how people lived in the past.

I'm not suggesting that someone who knows about some historical time period or another is in any way superior (there are a lot of educated people who do not understand much outside of what they are educated in).  And I know that for many people it's a luxury to have the time, or to have been raised to read, to study and to have an inquisitive mind, but I think there are clear benefits to it.

Good post.

I also like that I have some knowledge about the world. I am also reading the news all the time. But sometimes I ask myself: Why? Lots of things happen all over the world and it seems most people don't learn from it. Many people in many countries follow the biggest liars even when it should be easy to know about those lies. 

I think knowing what is going on makes often more headache: Why do all those stupid people do what they do... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good post.

I also like that I have some knowledge about the world. I am also reading the news all the time. But sometimes I ask myself: Why? Lots of things happen all over the world and it seems most people don't learn from it. Many people in many countries follow the biggest liars even when it should be easy to know about those lies. 

I think knowing what is going on makes often more headache: Why do all those stupid people do what they do... 

I guess you cannot have the knowledge that might come in handy but make you sad, and at the same time enjoy ignorance that might make you happy but also vulnerable.

I think that's why many non-Western countries are a lot happier, but tend to have less political agency.  They're kind of "innocent" in a lot of ways.  Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I also like that I have some knowledge about the world. I am also reading the news all the time.

It's entertaining as well.  I think we (possible men more than women) like to study things and know some facts.  Like how watching a game of sport can be more interesting if you know all the rules of the game, how they train, and the history of the two teams.

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

absolutely correct ....  sad but true ....   what sort of education curriculum doesn't include history and geography ....  Thailand's obviously.     Many Thai students will grow up to be very professional 7-11 cashiers

Geography and history don't led to many jobs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My partner watches the world news as well as local news. She asks questions about anything she can not find d while searching Google. 

My Mrs is exactly the opposite. She says; 'What do I care about anything going on elsewhere?'

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Off topic posts and pictures of B52s and Vietnam have been removed,  the topic is about:

Does your Thai partner know much about history outside of Thailand?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1