Thailand Tourism Fee to be postponed until September

snoop1130

As I wrote many times, getting people to come back travelling when a large proportion of travellers are Chinese and they are not travelling the chances of not having a rebound like they anticipated were high and we can see evidence of that.  I dont care about you my fellow beer bellied friends, I mean real tourism people here for a few weeks and out who spend $$$ with more wild abandon than the average expat.  

Sure, revenge tourism picked up but now it's over.  Expect next year unless Chinese decide to start to travel again en masse a similar result.  

14 minutes ago, waders123 said:

So, when this Tourism Fee, (TF), is implemented, a Tourist doesn't necessarily need additional travel insurance!  (This certainly will be the general consensus from travelers)

Thailand is paying our medical bills with the TF! 

Yahoo!!  What a deal....NOT!   

I can already see the writing on the wall...

NEWS FLASH!!

Tourist tried to use tourism Fee insurance scheme; hospital

would not accept this form of payment; Tourist was not allowed to receive

medical help and has quietly passed away this afternoon.  RIP

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I remember I used to pay 500 baht to get out of Thailand at Don Muang; then it was incorporated into the airfare (as Thais are not to be trusted round cash?)  Is this new fee on top of that?  How many believe the money will be used to 'develop tourist sites' rather than be half-inched by politicians AKA The Army?

Yes of course it is. The prior fees which became included in ticket prices will still be there. Why that was simply not increased heaven knows, other than the locals would be subject to it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

How the heck will people know if someone has a work permit?

As far as I recollect, the WP must never leave the place of work.

I've always had my work permit for over 20 years. And I've had to show it to officials on occassion.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

You do understand many will see this as coverage. Some travel here, like a few friends did recently by using there Amex card to buy the airline tickets and the card provides for medical insurance as well.  Some do not look further, so as you say they are naive, many think they are doing the right thing.

Who in the their right mind would rely on a policy where they haven't read or understood the T&C's and extent of the coverage provided! Doing so simply reinforces that there must be some sort of test administered by home country governments to determine if potential travellers are suitable to be issued with a passport in the first place!

I understand that some will view this as a blanket policy providing complete end to end coverage, which is why I'm highlighting here that it almost certainly won't, what people chose to believe however is their prerogative. Doubtless we'll be seeing some posts from whiners after September, complaining that this or the other wasn't paid for and yet another item will reinforce that this is the land of scams and government lies. Big sigh.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Blumpie said:

As I wrote many times, getting people to come back travelling when a large proportion of travellers are Chinese and they are not travelling the chances of not having a rebound like they anticipated were high and we can see evidence of that.  I dont care about you my fellow beer bellied friends, I mean real tourism people here for a few weeks and out who spend $$$ with more wild abandon than the average expat.  

Sure, revenge tourism picked up but now it's over.  Expect next year unless Chinese decide to start to travel again en masse a similar result.  

What you write has nothing at all to do with the tourist tax, and how the government is struggling to implement it due to some needing to pay it and others who do not.

Okay, so after 1 September we have to pay 300 thb when we come in by air, when we leave, by air we pay 500 thb.

Wat will be the next trick to earn money from the farang?

I'm curious, we pay already the high prices when we like to visit national parks.

When we have to repair our stuff, we pay already double prices.

Most of the foreigners like to drink wine....oops, also 300% tax

And then they marvel that fewer tourists come?

Funny people this Thais, only now I understand the meaning LOS.

They're laughing in your face.

10 hours ago, roo860 said:

Never mind that, seems like anyone who's taken to hospital doesn't have to start a Gofundme to cover the medical expenses, thank you Thai Government!????????

Well if it is an insurance they still wont pay out for no helmet or licenses etc. 

• Love It 1

It appears they still don't know how this 'fee' will be collected?

"while discussions are continuing with airlines to determine the appropriate collection method, in accordance with the rules of the International Air Transport Association."

Didn't the airlines say they could not differentiate between people, now they have to check work permits? I can see this working smoothly????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

because they weren't smart enough to buy medical insurance or because they weren't smart enough to read and understand their policy or abide by the T&C's!

There not smart enough to wear a crash helmet  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1