Stray dogs intimidate foreign tourists at Krabi’s Ao Nang Beach

snoop1130

15 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Get rid of them. Pests akin to rats.  Civilized countries dont have this problem, nor do countries that are trying to attract the mythical "well heeled" tourist crowd.  

If people want dogs as pets, fine. On their own property, leashed if off property. 

They're not pests, in fact they kill rats. Treat them nice and feed them and quite often they'll kip around your bungalow an no one can approach without them letting you know. 

20 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I'm totally in favour of rounding up these dogs and offering them for sale to Korea, Myanmar or wherever else they eat them.

Good earner for the government - winner for tourists and for Thais wishing to dump their unwanted dogs.

So many advantages, but sadly, unlikely to happen

Ao nang beach may be a location where a targeted cull is appropriate but it would not solve the problem. Territorial animals, other dogs  would simply move in and multiply. The cultural problem of dumping un-spayed animals then others feeding them is incurable. Bottom line is all feral canines need to be rounded up, sterilized, then removed  as much as possible from the environment and housed in shelters until they can be adopted or in the worst case humanely destroyed.

It makes sense that unwanted vermin be repurposed as livestock food produce for nearby countries but it is not acceptable in the cultural context of Thailand and thus completely unacceptable and a non starter.

Edited by Captain Monday

On 4/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Today was market in our village. And stray dogs were hanging out and looking desperately at people at a stand that sold grilled chickens.  So I went ahead and bought 3 pieces of grilled chicken on stick. And gave it to each of dogs. ???? Long live the stray dogs. ???? Let the cowardly farang dog haters seethe. ????

Well said. With stray dogs simply stay calm, don't shout and scream, and don't run away. They'll quickly move on.

On 4/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Judging from what I constantly see in both, Bangkok and Pattaya, they get fed, and not little, by locals. No wonder, they become aggressive, and multiply.

In my sleepy little moobahn, there's a middle-aged lady who doesn't live anywhere near us who drives up our soi in the early evening to feed the few soi dogs. They all know the sound of her motor and are all waiting... including our four, well-fed, vaccinated and cared for mongrels if the gate's left open, which it usually is. I hate them all with a passion.

They're actually the wife's dogs so I'm allowed to say that.

Edited by NanLaew

Looks like most of the stray dogs, rightly or wrongly, have been removed from the beach area soi 5 Pratumnak, Pattaya

There was over a dozen of them crapping on the beach every day, strangely the only one they left is a bitch that has bitten 3 people including a small boy recently. If you go to that area, it's the one that lays all day outside the large 7-Eleven near the beach, so be aware its very snappy

On 4/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Today was market in our village. And stray dogs were hanging out and looking desperately at people at a stand that sold grilled chickens.  So I went ahead and bought 3 pieces of grilled chicken on stick. And gave it to each of dogs. ???? Long live the stray dogs. ???? Let the cowardly farang dog haters seethe. ????

And what third world country are you formerly from?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 6:15 PM, fasteddie said:

So they take a strange dog on to their patch and wonder why the locals are upset, they're just shouting that's all.

My thought too,,, of course their pet dog would attract other dogs attention.  And both pets and strays likely do their business on the beach.