Lights out for the PM’s chances as people get shocked by sky-high electricity bills in the post

webfact

57 minutes ago, bdenner said:

One thing for sure, charges are rising sharply.

Here in the rice paddies of upper Isaan gone from 4.344 to 5.4098 Baht. The "red shirts" are really pissed off!

Charges have been the same but the discounts have eased off. When getting an average price of 5,4 THB per unit, you are using (I guess) around +/- 600 Units per month. Did you notice it is very hot outside and this thus means your aircons / fridge have to work MUCH harder to reach the set temperature.

BIL was also complaining about his bill, when asked how many fans he had running, he said 7 at a time, and when asked how many fans he would run during the cold months, he said 0. :whistling:

Look here for a bit more detail about the electricity BILL.

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One cannot but sympathise with the poor chap and his noble followers.

The cost of keeping the cold drinks on ice, ready for distribution for the spontaneous demonstration of support to the military must have skyrocketed. And let us not even consider the cost of the bulk refrigeration of the cut flowers to hand out to the soldiers!

• Haha 2

Just now, Peterphuket said:

I think the PM read this post too, I see so many avatars with 'sad' and 'confused'

Someone with an agenda I believe.....can people with posting bans perhaps still do this?

• Haha 1

Can't really get worked up about this as I remember the unexpected brown-outs, the unexpected power failures, due to high demand. The government seems to have corrected most of the problems, so if it cost more it is worth it. but the old standard, bite the hand that feeds you is alive and well.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Charges have been the same but the discounts have eased off. When getting an average price of 5,4 THB per unit, you are using (I guess) around +/- 600 Units per month. Did you notice it is very hot outside and this thus means your aircons / fridge have to work MUCH harder to reach the set temperature.

BIL was also complaining about his bill, when asked how many fans he had running, he said 7 at a time, and when asked how many fans he would run during the cold months, he said 0. :whistling:

Look here for a bit more detail about the electricity BILL.

Yes it is hotter and more appliances are consuming more but do you understand the ins and outs of the mercurial "Ft" calculation and it's interaction with other banded discounts?

...and why EGAT is broke?

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Did you notice it is very hot outside and this thus means your aircons / fridge have to work MUCH harder to reach the set temperature.

captian obvious speaks.

Edited by n00dle
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, matchar said:

The hot weather has just made the rip-off unit price more noticeable.

The problem is Thailand has a massive oversupply of electricity of 50-60% and private power companies are making billions for being "available" to produce electricity that nobody uses or needs.

Meanwhile the government keeps signing new contracts with private companies to construct new power stations...so who's fault is that?

I have to admit I don't know enough about Thailand's power supply, power grid, which companies are involved, etc. 

I don't remember anybody complaining in December, when it wasn't so hot. Now, in April, the ACs will obviously use a lot more electricity to keep us cool. I am pretty sure that was the same over the last 20 years when I paid my electricity bills. Nobody should be surprised by that. But obviously it's a wonderful opportunity for the opposition to blame the government for that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now I finally understand why previous Thai elections were in December.

It's sad that Thai people now make Prayut responsible for the climate. It's always hot in every April in Thailand.

But then, I am not surprised. Thai's also blame the PM when the international oil price rise.

TiT

Well Thailand has plenty of gas in themself. So theoretical if it is true (which I would not be sure) they could do without gas imports.

1 hour ago, ftpjtm said:

Prayut may not be responsible for the climate, but he and the Thai government are responsible for stupid energy policies. 

We recently had solar installed at our house. We were shocked to learn that at least in our jurisdiction it is illegal for us to supply the grid with excess electricity generated by our installation. We are only allowed to supply our own home.

This is different from most parts of the world where the opposite true, and electric grids are happy to take advantage of the tens of thousands of small rooftop "power plants" that tend to make the most electricity when demand is highest.

Truly idiotic energy policy and predictably the grid failed when heavy AC usage overloaded it a few days ago.

So you didn't inform yourself and you somehow assumed that the regulations are what you imagine and not what they are. And then you blame Prayut for that.

Yeah, sure. 

Here is a hint: Lots of things are different all over the world. Don't assume... 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1