Southern Contestants Dump Own Parties To Help Prayut: Academic

webfact

image.jpeg

Caretaker prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and a map of southern Thailand.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

MANY SOUTHERN CANDIDATES running in constituency-based mode have quietly dumped their own parties and used personal resources to help themselves and caretaker prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha who is contesting to prolong his rule under the Ruam Thai Sang Chart tickets, according to NIDA Poll director Suwicha Pao-ari.

The unsettling phenomenon allegedly conducted by these constituency-based contestants has been reported in several of a total of 60 southern constituencies where Prayut has gradually secured popularity among constituents in the May 14 general election, Suwicha said last night (Apr.26).

The NIDA Poll director did not elaborate on how many southern contestants may have allegedly told their canvassers and others to encourage voters to pick the Ruam Thai Sang Chart on their party-listed ballot and forget about other parties including their own but confirmed many more were quietly following suit.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/04/27/southern-contestants-dump-own-parties-to-help-prayut-academic/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

image.jpeg

Guess only a person with A LOT of money would be smiling after spending A LOT of money to buy out anyone he can to forward his cause. Bet you he's got a lot more marked cards up his sleeve.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

A leading Democrat boasted to me once that southern voters were much more politically savvy than those in other regions. He told me about coffee shops in the south where politics is debated daily amongst locals.

Thaksin could never make inroads here, he proclaimed. Southerners won't fall for populist tricks.

Yet it seems many have taken the coup leader to heart. 

What happened to their political sophistication?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ozz1 said:

He needs all the help he can get typical Thai politics they would sell their sole to the highest bidder

I'm sure that's why the pheu thai party will win. (BTW, that's soul. Not the same as the part of a foot or shoe, buddha forbid).

4 hours ago, sidneybear said:

world's conservatives

He's the guy that overthrew the elected government.

Had thousands jailed for speaking up against the junta.

Get your priorities straight. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thanks 1

From what I read into the OP it is the party candidates who are deserting their parties and not the voters. They only have their own votes that count.

Meanwhile the local parties and the local voters can always get new candidates to replace them, or simply vote against them.

Better the toads jump now that try after the election as the democrats did last time.

5 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Good on them. I did my bit too, in voting for Prayuth's party today at my local Thai consulate.

The world's conservatives need a bit more representation ????

u r not in Thailand thus don't know what's going on with him and his cronies, he's anything but a good representative of conservatives

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mavideol said:

u r not in Thailand thus don't know what's going on with him and his cronies, he's anything but a good representative of conservatives

Oh I divide my time between Thailand and Australia for business reasons, so I know very well what's going on in both places.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

He's the guy that overthrew the elected government.

Had thousands jailed for speaking up against the junta.

Get your priorities straight. 

The word 'elected' is often used as a euphemism for 'bought' or 'deceived'.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1