Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

At some point you would ask yourself 'What would I do if .........'. Take steps to reduce your exposure to risk. Don't ride a moto, take a baht bus instead.

Is that REALLY reducing the risk - have you seen how they are built?

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, 10baht said:

I am still confined to a bed in a Thai Government Hospital who offer a great service but are not free like the case in my home country of UK.

No mention of the head damage, he actually things it's "FREE" in the UK? 555 someone's paying for it. There are no free lunches. At least he is getting treated and not put on a waiting list like they do in free medical countries.

Is he being "treated"? - I read he needs two more ops - will they do them?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Is he being "treated"? - I read he needs two more ops - will they do them?

I understand that in a Government Hospital unless you bring your bill up-to-date then care will continue but no further treatment would be provided.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

It certainly gives me pause, although I have a substantial emergency savings fund, which I don't touch,  of about 350,000 baht available if needed. Otherwise I actually make very little, about 50,000 baht per month. And I don't drive or own a motorbike. 

350k is only about $10k usd???

That’s not very substantial. Your skint broke if your ever hospitalized and/or need a dental crown or two.

Edited by JimTripper

On 4/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, aussienam said:

Sounding like a broken record, but yet again another case of someone not sufficiently insured (under-insured), albeit at least he had partial cover. And yet another plea for financial help to be bailed out of this predicament. 

Many expats here have insufficient or no insurance at all and usually not enough personal funds to cover costs.  I have had chats with guys who admit they aren't sufficiently covered/not at all, but just don't really want to think about it.  The cheap policies that often expats opt for, are capped at low-end amounts that won't cover most ICU, critical care and complex issues.  

I feel pity for the guy, but I won't be contributing as I need my money to pay for my own proper insurance cover, which, yes is bloody expensive. 

Do you carry extra coverage in case you fall off your high horse?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

I understand that in a Government Hospital unless you bring your bill up-to-date then care will continue but no further treatment would be provided.

They re in a tricky position. It involves money and ethics.

They don't want you to die so they keep up a minimum care but they won't do extra work.

The problem with this is that it often results in the situation getting worse - Bones set incorrectly or infections set it. So a relatively controllable situation can run away through lack of activity and withheld treatments.

There should be a system where treatment is given and then the patient is billed by the hospital - they would then be in legally in  debt. I think most people would pay off the debt over a period of time, but the default assumption by the hospitals is they will abscond and not pay.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

They re in a tricky position. It involves money and ethics.

They don't want you to die so they keep up a minimum care but they won't do extra work.

The problem with this is that it often results in the situation getting worse - Bones set incorrectly or infections set it. So a relatively controllable situation can run away through lack of activity and withheld treatments.

There should be a system where treatment is given and then the patient is billed by the hospital - they would then be in legally in  debt. I think most people would pay off the debt over a period of time, but the default assumption by the hospitals is they will abscond and not pay.

Completely agree! Once the money has been spent and the patient gone the hospital know the odds of recovering it are not good. 

• Like 1

Baiting posts, troll posts and the replies have been removed.

Off topic posts and replies bickering about racist comments have been removed. Once again this topic is about:

Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

Edited by metisdead

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Completely agree! Once the money has been spent and the patient gone the hospital know the odds of recovering it are not good. 

The poster you agreed with said I think most people would pay off the debt over a period of time, which contradicts your opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The poster you agreed with said I think most people would pay off the debt over a period of time, which contradicts your opinion.

Yes, agreed that is one opinion. Thai Government Hospitals take the opposite view. After 43 years in debt recovery work I agree with the hospitals. Arrangements for repayment (even those made in good faith at the time) are very soon broken. The older the debt becomes the less inclined the debtor is to pay it. There is always something more deserving for the person to spend his money on.  

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

While it may be that "...most people would pay off the debt over a period of time...", the people that actually would pay it off are not the people in the hospital with no insurance and no money. The people that end up in the hospital with no insurance and no money are typically the same people that would not pay it off. Why should they?

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

While it may be that "...most people would pay off the debt over a period of time...", the people that actually would pay it off are not the people in the hospital with no insurance and no money. The people that end up in the hospital with no insurance and no money are typically the same people that would not pay it off. Why should they?

You'd better reply to the person that made the claim.

6 hours ago, superal said:

You can be the top motorcyclist riding in Thailand but what you cannot control are the ignorant Thai road users who only care about themselves and no consideration to other road users .

In the rainy season there are potholes hidden under puddles , causes many  accidents for motorbikes .  Poorly driven heavy goods trucks , often do not give a flying fxxx about other road users especially motorbikes . Many drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs at any time of the day .

I agree there are some beautiful country roads and sights to see in Thailand and driving at a moderate speed along with appropriate safety attire will keep you in good stead .   Good luck .

Absolutely.

Also open grids on the ground. I narrowly avoided one in Pattaya once, and when I drove through there again one week later it was still there.

And I walked straight through one on the Suvarnabhumi parking lot a few years ago, a gap on the floor about 15 cm wide. I was walking fast and looking up in search of the entrance. Hurt my leg bad, thought it was broken and I was going to miss my flight but luckily not, got fixed at the airport hospital and off I went. But I did tell the staff to please get the gap fixed, plenty of motorbikes on that parking lot…

Dangling cables too, love those.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, superal said:

You can be the top motorcyclist riding in Thailand but what you cannot control are the ignorant Thai road users who only care about themselves and no consideration to other road users .

In the rainy season there are potholes hidden under puddles , causes many  accidents for motorbikes .  Poorly driven heavy goods trucks , often do not give a flying fxxx about other road users especially motorbikes . Many drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs at any time of the day .

I agree there are some beautiful country roads and sights to see in Thailand and driving at a moderate speed along with appropriate safety attire will keep you in good stead .   Good luck .

Yes agree. I've done my 12 months a year riding in Scotland in my youth but these day's the slightest treat of rain is a none ride day. I don't mind getting caught out in the rain. In Thailand I wear full gear with body armer, and would never ever dream of riding without a helmet anywhere in the world. I still love days out in large groups of bikers and have a good group of Thai friends who get together for rides. However Covid screwed everything with guys selling their bikes and moving to different areas.

• Thanks 1

How many hit and runs happen? There was one this morning near me I think it was early a woman knocked off her bike died so far as I know the guy driving the truck was drunk, 

• Sad 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, it is what it is said:

agree, if a uk citizen get back asap. anyone planning on leaving the uk make sure you get and stay registered with a GP

Very good advice if my gp hadn't kept me on his list I would have been buggered

• Thumbs Up 1

If only the felangs could be like the Thais and own up to any mistakes they make when driving . 

Thais usually say, "Officer, it was all my fault and I take all the blame for my bad driving and I will happily pay for all the damage I caused "...........................................

Edited by Pink Mist
Replied to post removed

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

You made the claim he had insurance. Could be he had only porobor, so no health insurance at all. 

" 4 operations later and the insurance has ran out",, from very first page of the thread. Just make up your own story if thats your agenda Stevie! 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, BritScot said:

Yes agree. I've done my 12 months a year riding in Scotland in my youth but these day's the slightest treat of rain is a none ride day. I don't mind getting caught out in the rain. In Thailand I wear full gear with body armer, and would never ever dream of riding without a helmet anywhere in the world. I still love days out in large groups of bikers and have a good group of Thai friends who get together for rides. However Covid screwed everything with guys selling their bikes and moving to different areas.

Proper motorbike riders dress accordingly as you describe . As well as helmet and body wear items , also important are gloves , even for the moped rider because the damage to the hand skin can be bad if coming off the bike and your hands scraping the road . I remember some rockers in the UK used to have studded leather gloves on the back of the hand glove in order that in the event of coming off the bike , the gloves would glide along the road with little resistance . I have pals who belong to motorbike clubs that organise away trips and popular they are too . Not so many in Thailand ( I believe Pattaya has a good club ) but mostly in the UK

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

" 4 operations later and the insurance has ran out",, from very first page of the thread. Just make up your own story if thats your agenda Stevie! 

And my point is that that insurance mentioned could easily be only the porobor. So possibly no health insurance whatsoever,.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, superal said:

Proper motorbike riders dress accordingly as you describe . As well as helmet and body wear items , also important are gloves , even for the moped rider because the damage to the hand skin can be bad if coming off the bike and your hands scraping the road . I remember some rockers in the UK used to have studded leather gloves on the back of the hand glove in order that in the event of coming off the bike , the gloves would glide along the road with little resistance . I have pals who belong to motorbike clubs that organise away trips and popular they are too . Not so many in Thailand ( I believe Pattaya has a good club ) but mostly in the UK

Yes good quality gear is essential.  A thai friend came to see a group of friend to show his gloves and helmet all high quality and expensive and they were trashed. He was very upset until I pointed out " but you walked away so they all worked". The penny then dropped and he was alot happier. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 4/28/2023 at 12:21 PM, stoner said:

he should probably when able return to the UK for the long term treatment he is obviously going to need and cannot afford here

Do not even think about this.  UK health services (NHS) are broken even for UK residents who have been paying their NI insurance contributions.  

Dr. and nurses threatening to strike, so even less services than usual.

If he had had his accident in UK he might still be waiting for admission to A&E for any treatment.

If he manages to get back to UK he will be at the back of a very long queue.