Selling new car after 2 months (Ford Ranger Wildtrak)

About two months ago I bought a brand new Ford Ranger Wildtrak with a good discount. 

The car itself is great and hasn't caused any issues. 

The problem is that I live in Bangkok.

At first I thought that driving a Pick-Up in Bangkok would be alright since there are so many Pick-Ups on the roads in and around the city. 

Besides that I would never buy a Pick-Up in my home country but in Thailand it seemed very desirable. 

However, I don't enjoy driving such a big car in Bangkok traffic on a daily basis.  Especially parking is super annoying. 

Fuel consumption is ok (8,2L / 100km) but would be lower with a more compact car. 

I know that I won't drive this car for another 2, 3, 4 oder 5 years in Bangkok. 

Would it make sense to sell the car as fast as possible while it is still on red license plates or should I drive it for a year to take advangtage of the "free" first year of 1st class insurance that came with the car and sell it afterwards?

Possible alternatives would be Mazda CX-30, Honda H-RV or Toyota Corolla Cross. 

Do these brands offer trades-ins if you buy a new car with them? 

Edited by idealistic123
  • Like 1

Just now, idealistic123 said:

Seems like I had to make the experience first to understand the hassle of owning in a big car in a big city. 

We do seem to learn from our mistakes, some more quickly than others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Either way they’re like women, they gonna cost you.

If you don’t like it sell it or trade it but you’re going to get reamed.
On a new car expect to lose at least 20% if it is 2023 or 30% if it is 2022.

I had a similar experience last year bought a top of the range wide track twin turbo diesel, then saw the Raptor a couple of months later and sold the wild track to upgrade. Lost about 200,000 baht. Boys and toys, them’s the breaks.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never really understood foriegners buying big pickup trucks to drive in urban Thailand.

I'm in Pattaya and its hilarious watching guys try and negotiate traffic, small sois, parking areas etc.

I've never heard a pickup referred to as a "City Car."  If you live in rural Thailand?  Good choice.

In metro BKK?  Not so much.  And 11km/lt?  <gag>

You can buy a Suzuki Celerio for about 320K that gets 23km/lt.  THAT - is a "city car."

Well, live and learn.  Erase 100K THB right off the top for your mistake and move on.

1 minute ago, idealistic123 said:

Pick-Ups are quite far from being a status symbol in Bangkok. 

Well yeah.  The Beamer and Benz and Porche and Lambo crowd will frown on you (although upwards unless their Beamer, Benz, Porche or Lambos are SUV varieties), although the poor working class natives from Isaan working in BKK may think you are rich and hansum.  <laughs>

This is an entertaining post, but really.  Some people need to bash their heads against a wall before they see its a wall and walk around.  Best of luck. 

you should also look at the nissan almira, we got one for our daughter a few weeks ago and it is a great car to drive, the top models have all the bells and whistles(all round cameras to make parking very easy), seats are really comfortable, has plenty of power and look good too plus price wise they are a great buy. Most car dealers will organize a trade in but whether or not it is fair to you is another thing

• Like 1

As one member already stated, expect to cope a fair loss, if you happy with it go ahead and sell it, but try to sell it privately first as a dealership will give you much less than a private buyer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're concerned about 10k baht worth of insurance, on a 1M baht truck.  Just pray you don't lose more than 20% on the trade in, resale of it.

Most potential buyer would be concerned with why you are selling, possibly suspecting it got flooded.

Good luck

Edited by Jotnar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

I've never heard a pickup referred to as a "City Car."  If you live in rural Thailand?  Good choice.

In metro BKK?  Not so much.  And 11km/lt?  <gag>

You can buy a Suzuki Celerio for about 320K that gets 23km/lt.  THAT - is a "city car."

Well, live and learn.  Erase 100K THB right off the top for your mistake and move on.

Fun fact:  You can buy four new Suzuki Celerios for the list price of a Wildtrak 4x4

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Around fifteen years ago when my wife was building some properties up in Udon we had a pickup and it was very useful for carrying construction materials etc. Made a lot of sense. Subsequently when I had work in Bangkok and my wife bought a condo in Pattaya driving  it became an absolute pain in the rear end.  We sold it and bought a Camry, still a large car but vastly more comfortable, better handling and more maneuverable.  Last year my wife bought a Yaris and its a great little car for city driving, in fact I prefer it over the Camry - 'small' cars have really come on a long way in the last 15 years or so.

Pickups get favourable tax treatment in Thailand so you do get a lot of metal for your money. Also I think many foreigners get pressured into buying them by their Isaan wives (handy on the farm and to carry the extended family in the back).

The OP will no doubt lose a bit of money on it - but try a private sale first (FB, BahtSold etc).

2 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Around fifteen years ago when my wife was building some properties up in Udon we had a pickup and it was very useful for carrying construction materials etc. Made a lot of sense. Subsequently when I had work in Bangkok and my wife bought a condo in Pattaya driving  it became an absolute pain in the rear end.  We sold it and bought a Camry, still a large car but vastly more comfortable, better handling and more maneuverable.  Last year my wife bought a Yaris and its a great little car for city driving, in fact I prefer it over the Camry - 'small' cars have really come on a long way in the last 15 years or so.

Pickups get favourable tax treatment in Thailand so you do get a lot of metal for your money. Also I think many foreigners get pressured into buying them by their Isaan wives (handy on the farm and to carry the extended family in the back).

The OP will no doubt lose a bit of money on it - but try a private sale first (FB, BahtSold etc).

My Isaan wife has never pressured me over anything, your point is a  presumptuous in the extreme regarding buying a pick-up truck.......:ermm: 

Though I expect your wife is half Chinese, wiv loads of cash........., most are, it seems............????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

IF it is only the size that concerns you, then don’t worry about it - you’ll get used to it. 

I’ve driven large SUV’s around Bangkok without issue...

I see loads of people driving Toyota Fortuners / Mitsubishi Pajero / Isuzu MUX / Ford Everest etc...  they’re all the same size as a pick-up... So the size is certain not an issue. 

IF you can’t easily get used to the parking - install parking cameras / sensors.

IF on the other hand it is an ‘image thing’ rather than a ‘size’ thing....  then you’ll expect to take a fairly significant hit on it...  effectively you’ll have paid 20% of someone else’s new pickup !!!... 

Post a photo on here... and someone may make you a better offer than a tent will... 

Example pricing here.

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/ford/ranger/double-cab-ปี-22-28/2-0-hi-rider-wildtrak

4 hours ago, idealistic123 said:

Possible alternatives would be Mazda CX-30, Honda H-RV or Toyota Corolla Cross. 

Do these brands offer trades-ins if you buy a new car with them? 

I’ve tried this twice in the past.... Both times they made a big song and dance about how they were pushing the highest price for me and doing me a huge favour.... 

... I burst out laughing when they quoted me the price...  at least 30% less than market. 

So... IMO - just forget about trading in anything with car dealers here. 

Best price you’ll get for the car is through a private sale: Post on Facebook market place etc.

IF you have the newer Facelifted Ranger model... (Square / Box lights) you’ll get plenty of interest.

• Thumbs Up 1