Selling new car after 2 months (Ford Ranger Wildtrak)

34 minutes ago, sometime said:

Pickup great in the floods, wouldn't drive anything else

How deep are you willing to go? I have a crv and it deals well enough with any floods I've come across. And vastly more comfortable than a pickup truck. The little honda wr-v has 220mm of clearance, as much as most pickup trucks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

They can physically sit higher than other road traffic............

That is exactly why I like my Hilux, I can see around me and up the road much better. 

I had an awesome Mazda 3 for years and it was great for zipping around traffic, parking, and 'zoom-zoom' zooming down the Super Highway, but I like my truck just the same, only for different reasons.

7 hours ago, connda said:

The large trucks and SUV are Status Symbols here in Thailand.  Nothing more.  They can physically sit higher than other road traffic, drive like bats out of hell, and feel superior.

Some of the Thai owners are just as bad as those foreign owners you refer to.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

6 hours ago, transam said:

My Isaan wife has never pressured me over anything, your point is a  presumptuous in the extreme regarding buying a pick-up truck.......:ermm: 

Though I expect your wife is half Chinese, wiv loads of cash........., most are, it seems............????

My wife is 100% Isaan and proud of it. Yes, she has loads of money - buys and sells land and property in Thailand and owns half a hotel in UK......

Lucky your wife has never pressured you over anything. That's not the norm with these women from my observations...

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, wildpuppet72 said:
12 hours ago, connda said:

That's a ridiculous reason to keep it.  Trade it in for a small city car, take the loss and rack it up to experience, and bask in the enjoyment that your new city car will have red plates and 1 year of free 1st class insurance.  That Celerio I recommended comes with 1 year free 1st class insurance too.  Just get used to it that your going to take a loss on the truck, but you'll be a wiser person.

Suzuki celerio are you kidding worst car in thailand piece of <deleted> car don't recommend of you can only recommend a <deleted>ty car wtf is that about..

At least go for something that sounds like an STD... i.e. Nissan Sylphy... 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

My wife is 100% Isaan and proud of it. Yes, she has loads of money - buys and sells land and property in Thailand and owns half a hotel in UK......

Lucky your wife has never pressured you over anything. That's not the norm with these women from my observations...

Your observations with your wife, chum.....????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, connda said:

The large trucks and SUV are Status Symbols here in Thailand.  Nothing more.  They can physically sit higher than other road traffic, drive like bats out of hell, and feel superior.

Or maybe the owners prefer more comfort, performance and practicality with their purchase.  Buy what you want or what you  can afford.

I think the op's issue is simply the size, on smaller roads and finding large enough parking space to squeeze into.  Why I would never buy a long vehicle, or one of those wider SUVs or 4X4s.

Do enjoy the higher seating of a SUV (b class), and more cargo area over a sedan or hatchback, along with being a  shorter SUV.  As comfy as a Fortuner or like size SUV, I wouldn't want one for same reason op regrets having his truck.

Edited by Jotnar

On 4/29/2023 at 1:05 PM, richard_smith237 said:

IF it is only the size that concerns you, then don’t worry about it - you’ll get used to it. 

I’ve driven large SUV’s around Bangkok without issue...

I see loads of people driving Toyota Fortuners / Mitsubishi Pajero / Isuzu MUX / Ford Everest etc...  they’re all the same size as a pick-up... So the size is certain not an issue. 

According to Google the Ford Ranger Wildtrak is about half a meter longer than the SUVs which you mentioned, this is quite significant.

I've driven an SUV in Bangkok, it's often a pain in the ass, I really wouldn't want to drive a car which is even bigger.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I have never really understood why you would need a car in Bangkok.

You mean you have never really understood YOUR need to have a  car in Bangkok...   

From a personal perspective there are a multitude of reasons why not having a car in Bangkok would be unbearable and also less safe. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

According to Google the Ford Ranger Wildtrak is about half a meter longer than the SUVs which you mentioned, this is quite significant.

I've driven an SUV in Bangkok, it's often a pain in the ass, I really wouldn't want to drive a car which is even bigger.

Valid point about the pickups being about 0.5m longer...    

My SUV’s have been anywhere from 4.5m to 5.0m in length.

A Honda Jass is 4.0m long.... The Ford WildTrack is 5.5m in length.

I’ve driven mostly larger SUV’s in Bangkok and have never been bothered by the size - its a personal thing. 

One thing I did notice which did make a difference, in a larger (and / or) more expensive car, people ‘see you more'... i.e. in a smaller-cheaper the road behaviour of those around you is worse, its as if you have less road presence in the subconsciousness of others.

I found the same riding a ‘big bike’ vs a ’scooter’.... 

The motorbikes and other vehicles are less likely to pullout on you and cut you up if you are in something greater presence. 

On 4/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, Peterw42 said:

I have never really understood foriegners buying big pickup trucks to drive in urban Thailand.

I'm in Pattaya and its hilarious watching guys try and negotiate traffic, small sois, parking areas etc.

Maybe they know something you don't ???? ???? ????

S__214564882-scaled.jpg

22 hours ago, wildpuppet72 said:

Suzuki celerio are you kidding worst car in thailand piece of <deleted> car don't recommend of you can only recommend a <deleted>ty car wtf is that about..

The Celerio is a useful benchmark. 

A high spec Mazda 2 is double the cost of a Celerio. 

The Wildtrak is four times the price of a Celerio.  

A cheap Fortuner is five times the price of a Celerio.

They all do the same job.

Edited by In the jungle

On 4/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, connda said:

and able to see more, therefore safer

3 minutes ago, sungod said:
On 4/29/2023 at 5:38 AM, connda said:

and able to see more, therefore safer

When it comes to pickups many would disagree because due to the leaf spring suspension load distribution they are less stable on the road. 

That said, pickups generally have more mass around you than a conventional smaller car and thus ‘may’ offer better protection, but there is the added facet that a pickup generally being a cheaper vehicle will have fewer safety features. 

While ‘seeing and avoiding’ is a significant facet in road safety and one I much prefer, that wouldn’t suggest a pickup is safer, but a well designed SUV with proper suspension and safety features (when also looking for the combination of a higher seating position).

On 4/30/2023 at 3:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That said, pickups generally have more mass around you than a conventional smaller car and thus ‘may’ offer better protection, but there is the added facet that a pickup generally being a cheaper vehicle will have fewer safety features. 

I'm not worried about that. 

The Ranger has 7 airbags and a 5 Star NCAP Rating.

So it's not only a huge car but safe as well. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:27 AM, hadock said:

When I'm sitting in the passenger seat with friends' cars, like suzuki or mazda 3 i feel uncomfortable as i sit so low and i do not have a good overview of the traffic . But everyone has different preferences...

Some days ago I sat in a Taxi for the first time since I got the Ranger and it felt quite scary to sit so low. ???? 

I absolutely love the seating position of the Ranger. So after this "shock" I am not sure if I really want to sell the car. 

On 4/30/2023 at 8:17 PM, In the jungle said:

The Celerio is a useful benchmark. 

A high spec Mazda 2 is double the cost of a Celerio. 

The Wildtrak is four times the price of a Celerio.  

A cheap Fortuner is five times the price of a Celerio.

They all do the same job.

My pickup will carry 1000kg of building materials in the back.

Will the Celery/Maz2/Tuna do they same ?

No they wont because they not all do the same job.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:27 PM, hadock said:
And about status .. i think in BKK  a Pick up is more  lower status. I remember quotes from girls like...oh, you said you have a car, but this is a truck... or why you drive around in a farmer's car, ..and so on...

Not limited to Bangkok. Partner and colleagues all refer to pickups as 'farm cars', quite a class distinction. 

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

My pickup will carry 1000kg of building materials in the back.

Will the Celery/Maz2/Tuna do they same ?

No they wont because they not all do the same job.

A large percentage of pickups get used in the same way as a car.

Given the OP lives in Bangkok I suspect that is what he is doing.

I used to own a Vigo and it was rare that it carried anything heavier than the groceries from Lotus.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:27 PM, hadock said:

And about status .. i think in BKK  a Pick up is more  lower status. I remember quotes from girls like...oh, you said you have a car, but this is a truck... or why you drive around in a farmer's car, ..and so on...

Somebody with a pickup comes most likely from a village, and people from a village are considered lower class than people who live in the city, so that's not surprising.

In case of a foreigner with a pickup it most likely means he is married to a village woman (probably from isaan...)

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

A large percentage of pickups get used in the same way as a car.

Given the OP lives in Bangkok I suspect that is what he is doing.

I used to own a Vigo and it was rare that it carried anything heavier than the groceries from Lotus.

No matter how you butter it they DO NOT all do the same job.