Upcoming public holidays and impact on immigration office hours

snoop1130

coro.jpg

Thailand is gearing up for three upcoming public holidays that will temporarily shut down government offices, including immigration departments. The first of these holidays, Coronation Day, falls on Thursday, May 4, and will be followed by a “bridge” continuation day on Friday, May 5. The Thai government announced these additional holidays last year as a means to boost domestic tourism as the country started recovering from the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Following the May 4 and May 5 closures, immigration offices across the country will resume operations on Monday, May 8, opening their doors at 8.30am. Later in the month, another public holiday will occur on Wednesday, May 17, which marks the Royal Ploughing Ceremony. Consequently, immigration offices will remain closed on this day as well.

These multiple public holidays provide ample opportunities for locals and residents alike to enjoy extended weekends within the nation. These breaks are intended to stimulate domestic tourism, thereby assisting Thailand’s economy as it rebounds from the detrimental effects of the health crisis.

It’s worth noting that during these closures, those in need of immigration services, such as passport renewals or visa extensions, should plan accordingly to avoid unnecessary inconveniences. This includes completing any essential transactions before the public holidays or waiting until the immigration offices reopen following these breaks.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/upcoming-public-holidays-and-their-impact-on-immigration-office-hours

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

These multiple public holidays provide ample opportunities for locals and residents alike to enjoy extended weekends within the nation. These breaks are intended to stimulate domestic tourism, thereby assisting Thailand’s economy as it rebounds from the detrimental effects of the health crisis.

I guess these "ample opportunities" is dependant on "locals and residents alike" having ample money to spend. Apart from that the 17th is a Wednesday the week govt schools go back and this weekend there's a booze ban. I have been told though that 'restaurants' can serve alcohol. Not sure if this is the case or not. Boost to domestic tourism? 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

with Royal Ploughing day being on the 11th.

That's my information too. Not on the 17th as stated in the opening post.

Another headache to find out what is true?

Immigration calender says 11th.

After comparing misc sites: it's indeed the 17th.

Immigration calendar on website is wrong :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As we have just seen with the May 1st holiday, tourist destinations are reporting a down turn as most people spent their hard earned over Songkran and therefore simply don't have the disposal income to continue paying for further leisure activities.

8 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

The biggest problem is banking, not all of us have the ability to vary bank deposits from the home countrry and constant BANK SHUT Days makes even simp0-le deposits like PENSIONS ETC< DIFFIul, more so when Hai Banks are clow in actually working in the first place 

It isn't a banking problem, it is an individual cash management problem (and a typing problem).

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

These multiple public holidays provide ample opportunities for locals and residents alike to enjoy extended weekends within the nation

Every weekend here seems an extended public holiday , especially in school term

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

The biggest problem is banking, not all of us have the ability to vary bank deposits from the home countrry and constant BANK SHUT Days makes even simp0-le deposits like PENSIONS ETC< DIFFIul, more so when Hai Banks are clow in actually working in the first place 

Did a Wise transfer early on Monday morning (Bank holidays in both countries). Arrived in 9 seconds!

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

As we have just seen with the May 1st holiday, tourist destinations are reporting a down turn as most people spent their hard earned over Songkran and therefore simply don't have the disposal income to continue paying for further leisure activities.

I am not sure about that. Hotels were crammed full last weekend and will be again this coming weekend. You clearly do not live in a Tourist town.

16 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I have been told though that 'restaurants' can serve alcohol. Not sure if this is the case or not. Boost to domestic tourism? 

We have been told that due to forthcoming events there is an alcohol ban (at least in Bangkok!) from midnight on 05 May until 6 pm on 07 May followed by midnight on 12 May until 6 pom on 14 May. 

16 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

We have been told that due to forthcoming events there is an alcohol ban (at least in Bangkok!) from midnight on 05 May until 6 pm on 07 May followed by midnight on 12 May until 6 pom on 14 May. 

I know someone who delivers ice and his boss told him restaurants can serve alcohol. Bit like the rediculous 'alcohol ban' situation during Covid. I'm not 100% sure but this is what I've been told. You also have the times and dates wrong. It's 6 pm to 6 pm unless something has changed and May 6-7 and May 13-14.

The funny thing is that a lot of schools are open this weekend.  There is an orientation for M1 students in a few schools in PT.

Remember, Friday is only a government holiday it is not a commercial holiday 

34 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The funny thing is that a lot of schools are open this weekend.  There is an orientation for M1 students in a few schools in PT.

Remember, Friday is only a government holiday it is not a commercial holiday 

It is also a bank holiday.

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Every weekend here seems an extended public holiday , especially in school term

Seems to be that way lately...... another crowded traffic clogged Pattaya weekend. I am keeping my head down but expect the Mrs to 'inform me' that brother, sister-in-law, niece and grandma will be visiting!

Edited by jacko45k