Bank employee busted: stole customer info, made nearly a million baht in unauthorized credit card cash withdrawals

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

stating that her motive was to earn money for personal expenses.

Was the job not paying you enough , I hope everyone who lost money

was reimbursed , just make sure you regularly update your account ,

accounts with little or no moment can be a target for these internal bandits.

regards worgeordie 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It surely is nearly closer to a million baht than half a million baht.

What a silly statement. 800k is closer to 500k or 1M than 1.5M So what?

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:
4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What a silly statement. 800k is closer to 500k or 1M than 1.5M So what?

What a silly statement...to use your words!

• Love It 1

So; she calls stealing 'earning'.   Says a lot for the Thai mindset in general as many of them use the phrase 'make gain'.  It's not just Farang that get fleeced here every day; they love stealing from each other.  Things have got so bad that my Mrs checks her Bank Accounts every day, when just a few years ago she didn't bother for months at a time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The fraudulent activities were eventually discovered, leading to a victim filing a complaint and the subsequent issuance of arrest warrants. Ms. Nathamon had been successful in evading capture until recently when investigators learned she was hiding in Ratchaburi Province.

And the losses will be recovered or forgotten about?

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Remember the "KMITL scandal" where 1.7 billion Baht vanished from university funds.

Paid out to a gang that didn't have account authorisation.

They did have authorisation from KMITL's Finance Director but they didn't send the funds to the accounts that they claimed they were sending them to.   She and a bank manager got 396 years between them and were ordered to repay B680,000,000.    This wasn't a case of bank staff stealing from customers accounts as in the OP.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

KBank sends SMS for every transaction how small it may be.

Bangkok Bank send mail/SMS for using debit card and "larger" transactions.

Not to me, they don't. Usually yes, but some payments at supermarkets do not result in a SMS to me, particularly at weekends.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, why did it take so long for folks to figure out that there information had been stolen and money taken out using there personal information.

This country is rife for identity theft, with the stacks upon stacks of paperwork needed at DLT, Immigration and the 2 copies made every time I go to the bank of my passport and so on.  All of this information is already available to those folks via a digital footprint that they have at there disposal.....

I went to get a new ATM card and I must have signed my name on at least 15 forms. It took an hour to do something that in the real world would have needed one signature and taken five minutes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I went to get a new ATM card and I must have signed my name on at least 15 forms. It took an hour to do something that in the real world would have needed one signature and taken five minutes.

I feel your pain. I bought a new USB cable yesterday - all of 300 baht - and the blinking paperwork was a sight to behold. 

On top of that, settled with contactless credit card and still have to sign a paper receipt.  

On 5/6/2023 at 9:27 AM, ThailandRyan said:

However, why did it take so long for folks to figure out that there information had been stolen and money taken out using there personal information.

This country is rife for identity theft, with the stacks upon stacks of paperwork needed at DLT, Immigration and the 2 copies made every time I go to the bank of my passport and so on.  All of this information is already available to those folks via a digital footprint that they have at there disposal.....

Yes, I often wonder where all this useless Thai required paper work goes to die a slow death.

I went to Immigration to acquire a residency certificate recently with all the correct paperwork (for opening a dam Thai bank account with almost all the same paperwork again, plus some) 

The IM outside scrutinizer checked all my paper work and said 5 to 10 days if I go upstairs to the main IM office or if you duck around to the back of the building you can get it done now for 500 Baht, I thought sounds good to me.

Got it all done 15 mins, then I realized this was not IM, but an agent working for IM.

I thought OMG another bunch of my personal information spread all over Thailand and I have no idea where it goes to after this agent packs it up..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, berrec said:

Yes, I often wonder where all this useless Thai required paper work goes to die a slow death.

I went to Immigration to acquire a residency certificate recently with all the correct paperwork (for opening a dam Thai bank account with almost all the same paperwork again, plus some) 

The IM outside scrutinizer checked all my paper work and said 5 to 10 days if I go upstairs to the main IM office or if you duck around to the back of the building you can get it done now for 500 Baht, I thought sounds good to me.

Got it all done 15 mins, then I realized this was not IM, but an agent working for IM.

I thought OMG another bunch of my personal information spread all over Thailand and I have no idea where it goes to after this agent packs it up..

You must be in Hua Hin, because I did that here in December. I had to return to the little office in the back as I got to the car as she had given me another persons certificate of residence in the envelope she gave me. My mistake for not checking it as she handed it to me.  The amount of paperwork needed here is amazing.  

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So if I owed you £1000 and gave you £850, would you still say that is OK?

If you own me 850 Pound and don't pay it back, I complain that you own me nearly 1000 Pound...
Near to it....150 pound difference only....I think close enough to call it nearly. But yes it is making it more spectacular...800K is not really that big of an amount for a bank