Thaksin Shinawatra's imminent homecoming: A risky move for Pheu Thai

webfact

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

It might not have affected you, if you were here, but it did affect most of the farangs living in the Kingdom at that time.

When he was PM, overnight he just doubled the amount of money needed on deposit for marriage and retirement extensions.

I did not know that. Thanks. I found visas were super easy as far as non o 1 year tourist goes during thaksin times. Overall though, the current lot could put the amount back down but haven't. We can say they are bad as each other. Surely not. All politicians bad. No no no 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand government got Interpol involved asking them to issue a Red Alert for the arrest of Thaksin. Interpol simply shrugged off the request from the post coup government. That’s how much the international community feel about Thaksin’s charges. 

Strange, it's been reported before that the Thai gov't never appraoched interpol because the offences were outside of offences handled by  Interpol.

• Thumbs Up 1

what he should have done is come back years ago, gone to an 'easy' jail for a few weeks, find a doctor that will give him a sick note and, due to 'ill health', serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest, then be free as a bird.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great idea!

Come home, go to jail, and give all your money to your grandchildren. And please don't involve them in politics if you care about them.

And if you live long enough not to die in jail then maybe you will be able to live in a decade or two together with your grandchildren.

Come home. Now. You will get free accommodation and food for years. We are waiting for you! What are you waiting for? 

Predictable rant.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"A Thai court on Monday issued an arrest warrant for fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after he failed to turn up for a defamation case filed against him by the army."

Ref.

OCTOBER 12, 20152:07 AM UPDATED 8 YEARS AGO

"Arrest warrant issued for ex-Thai PM Thaksin over court no-show"

The Army that subsequently overthrew an elected government!?!

They allowed him to leave the country for a sporting event. They expected he would not come back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

What I am waiting for is the PT to get in power but NOT be able to pay the 10.000 baht because no one will join with them to make it happen.

Same with the 25K for anyone with a BA.

There is no way the senate is going to vote a Thaksin in as PM.  

So it is going to be who will the senate allow 

Unless Prawit or Prayut get a large win there is no way they will have a chance.

We are not gong to see a Thai government until mid June at earliest

They dont have these funds. The money will come from incoming taxation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, bignok said:

Thai Jesus.

Who thought (and still thinks) that the death penalty for marijuana use and/or possession was perfectly reasonable. He may be a bit out of sync with modern day Thailand. Certainly with Bangkok. Trying to shoehorn him back into Thailand went so smoothly the last time. I’ll make the popcorn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What is the point of Pheu Thai even standing? We know what will happen if it wins. It will be removed from government, same as before. Why would this time be any different?

Looks like they want to have an election, ok they did promise one. If Pheu Thai does not stand, it is not an election. I hear you though, never liked these non alcohol days. Lets just call the charade, and tell the majority of Thai voters to go home, never really meant to have an election that Pheu Thai will win hands down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What is the point of Pheu Thai even standing? We know what will happen if it wins. It will be removed from government, same as before. Why would this time be any different?

Not if, but when it wins.

Current polls show well over 70% of Thais want Prayuth gone - the military’s time interfering in politics is over…. PT will serve its full term and the only ones capable of preventing their re-election is MF which are even more stridently anti military.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

The very last thing that Thailand needs is yet another 4 or more years of the current coup government.

For all their promises back in 2014 they have succeeded in taking Thailand back at least 20 years into the past. If they get the chance, they will do the same again.

I believe most are thinking that anything would be an improvement at this stage of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bannork said:

PT stands for Pathetic Thai, not Pheua Thai. How they need the great marketeer, authoritarian, decision maker of all in the party!

It's his party and no one else's. He even called Yingluck his clone.

He's the paymaster and decider of all.

Democracy can never grow in Thailand whilst PT exists. 

Long live MF!

Did you mean clone or clown, both similar in this case

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe he can share a cell will Prayut and Prawit. Wack some cameras in the cell and whamo! You have a fantastic reality show. Could call it: The Fugitive, The General and Little Fatty.

1.) The cameras will have to be switched off "for maintenance".

2.) Episode 2 could be: " The General and Little Fatty wonder why their socks have been confiscated, but the Fugitive's remain."

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:02 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Great idea!

Come home, go to jail, and give all your money to your grandchildren. And please don't involve them in politics if you care about them.

And if you live long enough not to die in jail then maybe you will be able to live in a decade or two together with your grandchildren.

Come home. Now. You will get free accommodation and food for years. We are waiting for you! What are you waiting for? 

I am not saying whether Thaksin should go to jail or not as I do not know enough about him, but this unelected caretaker stole the country illegally, so that alone should eventually see him in jail. A guy with a soldiers mentality running the country????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see what your saying, but it could be that the Thai people themselves may have a lot to say about it, and lot's of them have soldiers in their families. Don't forget that there were protests going on at the time the pandemic started, then the unelected PM used that as an excuse to make it illegal for crowds to form.

Does it mean that if there was no pandemic, the protesters may have gotten somewhere? I honestly don't know, but anything's possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well proven he's and his cronies are very corrupt. Does anybody seriously believe he's totally/permenantly reformed?

Can you name a politician from any party in any country on earth to whom these questions will not equally apply, from Putin to Biden to Lula to Ping to... ?  It's trivial to point out that politicians are self-serving liars.  The question is, what can be done about it?  I wish I knew the answer.  

• Like 2

Dr Thaksin is, like all Thais, homesick when out of the country. You can take a Thai out of Thailand but you cannot take Thailand out of Thai. 
Having said that, it is appalling to see, that - after he left 15 years ago for the last time - he still calls the shots remote control from Montenegro, Dubai and God-only-knows-from-where.

It is possibly the last call for Dr Thaksin to reinstate his name and reputation. He proved beyond any doubt, that his intentions are not monetary; he seems to have more than plenty of that. He needs his name cleared and (re-)hailed by his electorate rooted among the North- and Northeasterners.

To this day all other parties have not understood the basics of getting voted on the countryside but reign in the capital. 

Irrespective of all this it might be high time for some changes and sending all those corrupt crooks and dinosaurs into definite retirement. Goons like the present leadership is a congregation of self-pleasing, egoistic crooks or believe in unjustified semi-divineness ...... your call. 

I wish Thailand and its honest voters the best; let's cross the bridge once we get there and that is in one week! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Relly?

Why does a wanted criminal with a couple of jail sentences in Thailand pretend that he just come back to see his family? It seems he still thinks he is above the law. And maybe he thinks his daughter will become PM and whitewash him. People who accept reality don't talk like that. Thaksin obviously lives in a parallel universe somewhere. I hope reality will hit him hard if he ever returns to Thailand. 

"It seems he still thinks he is above the law."  Maybe so, he probably does, but where does that leave the unelected caretaker PM?  He doesn't think he is above the law, he knows it, ask yourself why he was in power for the last nine years, this is a guy with only a Military Academy education and no more brains than the average Somchai in the streets.

That's why I keep saying, anything is an upgrade on what we have now, even Thaksin, or should I say the Phue Thai party.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I see what your saying, but it could be that the Thai people themselves may have a lot to say about it, and lot's of them have soldiers in their families. Don't forget that there were protests going on at the time the pandemic started, then the unelected PM used that as an excuse to make it illegal for crowds to form.

Does it mean that if there was no pandemic, the protesters may have gotten somewhere? I honestly don't know, but anything's possible.

Making it illegal for crowds to form has never resulted in crowds not forming. What caused the most recent protests to end was that they had absolutely zero effect, as you can't fight water cannons with mobile phone lights and rubber ducks. The government knew it just had to wait out the storm. Happens everywhere. Let's see what happens in Paris next.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, zzaa09 said:

Promoting the grand return should be their next play. 

Then the pardon. 

Which would be followed by his entry back into the Thai political machine. 

Purchased five kilos of popcorn this morning. 

A pardon maybe. But will he escape prosecution for his allowing open season on nearly 3000 suspected drug dealers. Many I suspect were just bumped off to settle a grievance.

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

List them

"List them".  Wow.

All the charges have been reported on numerous news / information sites numerous times over many years.

Google is your friend.

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

"It seems he still thinks he is above the law."  Maybe so, he probably does, but where does that leave the unelected caretaker PM?  He doesn't think he is above the law, he knows it, ask yourself why he was in power for the last nine years, this is a guy with only a Military Academy education and no more brains than the average Somchai in the streets.

That's why I keep saying, anything is an upgrade on what we have now, even Thaksin, or should I say the Phue Thai party.

"

"It seems he still thinks he is above the law."  Maybe so, he probably does, but where does that leave the unelected caretaker PM?  He doesn't think he is above the law, he knows it, ask yourself why he was in power for the last nine years, this is a guy with only a Military Academy education and no more brains than the average Somchai in the streets."  

Easy answer, the current guy has guns behind him and the glory of the military.

Sad, wrong but unfortunately true.

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"List them".  Wow.

All the charges have been reported on numerous news / information sites numerous times over many years.

Google is your friend.

So you can’t list them?

How about you just list the top 3, can you manage that?
If what you are saying is in fact common knowledge and not nonsense, then it should be the easiest thing in the world for you to simply list the top 3 crimes Thaksin has been convicted for - if you can’t it really begs the question……

• Like 1