Moving from AIS to DTAC while keeping existing number

XGM

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Other way round, OP has to go to the DTAC shop

but question for the OP do you know that DTAC is soon to be TRUE?

That is the reason I switched from Dtac to AIS and I was a customer for almost 9 years

I was not aware of that. But what's the issue with DTAC being owned by TRUE? And BTW how would you compare the internet quality now that you moved?

10 minutes ago, XGM said:

I was not aware of that. But what's the issue with DTAC being owned by TRUE? And BTW how would you compare the internet quality now that you moved?

The procedure may be different with regard to whether it is Postpaid or Prepaid. 
Usually you begin with generating a code and then taking that code to a service centre of the network to which to port. But that might not work with a passport number as the system is set up to work with Thai ID card numbers. 
To generate the code, you would enter *151*thirteendigitIDnumber# then to press the Call key on your phone keyboard. The code should arrive via SMS. Use that code within 30 days or it will expire. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Afaik you can indeed switch from one provider to another while keeping your mobile number.  But it is NOT possible to keep your number when switching to another cheap 1-year SIM that you can only buy on-line (e.g. at Lazada or Shopee).  You can keep that number of such cheap SIM but then would have to take a - much more costly - monthly subscription with the provider. 

So the downside of buying those cheap 1-year SIMS - approx 1.500 THB for 1 year 30 Mbps unlimited download - is that when it stops working, which by the way is often already after 9, 10 or 11 months of use instead of the advertised 1 year, that you need to inform all the contacts that you provided with that number that it has changed (which is a pain). 

If you have a double-slot mobile phone, you can of course use the cheap 1-year SIM solely for Internet access, and use a regular SIM for making calls. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Afaik you can indeed switch from one provider to another while keeping your mobile number.  But it is NOT possible to keep your number when switching to another cheap 1-year SIM that you can only buy on-line (e.g. at Lazada or Shopee).  You can keep that number of such cheap SIM but then would have to take a - much more costly - monthly subscription with the provider. 

So the downside of buying those cheap 1-year SIMS - approx 1.500 THB for 1 year 30 Mbps unlimited download - is that when it stops working, which by the way is often already after 9, 10 or 11 months of use instead of the advertised 1 year, that you need to inform all the contacts that you provided with that number that it has changed (which is a pain). 

If you have a double-slot mobile phone, you can of course use the cheap 1-year SIM solely for Internet access, and use a regular SIM for making calls. 

This seems unlikely. 
“which by the way is often already after 9, 10 or 11 months of use instead of the advertised 1 year”

I’d go as far as saying that it isn’t true, as it’s easy enough to find out when the package began and then to follow that up with the provider. Unless you purchased something unofficial. 

11 minutes ago, NextG said:

This seems unlikely. 
“which by the way is often already after 9, 10 or 11 months of use instead of the advertised 1 year”

I’d go as far as saying that it isn’t true, as it’s easy enough to find out when the package began and then to follow that up with the provider. Unless you purchased something unofficial. 

I speak from own experience. 

Purchased at Lazada a dTac 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM, and approx 11 months after initiating it, it stopped working. Then bought a new dTac one from Shopee, and that one stopped working after 9 months.  And I am once again on a new one, but won't be surprised if also that one would stop working earlier than advertised.  

After that first experience I wondered what went wrong, but two local young guys who also made use of those cheap SIMs, confirmed that they have experienced same. 

I am not complaining, because at that price (approx 1.500 THB) it's a super-deal even when it stops earlier than advertised.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I speak from own experience. 

Purchased at Lazada a dTac 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM, and approx 11 months after initiating it, it stopped working. Then bought a new dTac one from Shopee, and that one stopped working after 9 months.  And I am once again on a new one, but won't be surprised if also that one would stop working earlier than advertised.  

After that first experience I wondered what went wrong, but two local young guys who also made use of those cheap SIMs, confirmed that they have experienced same. 

I am not complaining, because at that price (approx 1.500 THB) it's a super-deal even when it stops earlier than advertised.

I understand what you have written, but did you confirm the start and end date with DTAC in the first instance? 
A twelve month deal is exactly that. If it stops working earlier, query it. DTAC themselves sell these packs, so you aren’t getting any great deal by saving 100 baht in buying it from an unreliable source. There is no reason to accept anything less than you purchased. 

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

19 minutes ago, NextG said:

I understand what you have written, but did you confirm the start and end date with DTAC in the first instance? 
A twelve month deal is exactly that. If it stops working earlier, query it. DTAC themselves sell these packs, so you aren’t getting any great deal by saving 100 baht in buying it from an unreliable source. There is no reason to accept anything less than you purchased. 

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

Thanks for the link.

But when looking at the pre-paid SIMs that dTac provides on that site, they do not sell the 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM.  dTac does have a promotion on that site for a 1-year 15 Mbps unlimited download SIM (with free calls to all networks) for 1.600,- THB. 

But the 30 Mbps dTac SIMS you can buy via Lazada or Shopee costs 1.750,- THB, so in my case - using it to stream movies in High-Resolution to my TV- that's a better deal [as speed-test shows that I do get that 30 Mbps speed, and am seldom confronted with buffering]. 

But thanks for the info, as I now see that you can buy at dTac a Gaming SIM for 2.549,- THB with unlimited internet at max speed 100Mbps for 365 days, so when my current one stops I will got for that Gaming SIM (I am not a gamer, but would buy it for the 100 Mbps speed).

5 hours ago, norbra said:

Can be done at AIS shop.

Thai ID card holders can do online via MY AIS app "move to AIS" service.

Oops, Sorry about that my speed reading / comprehension skills failed miserably on this occasion 

Edited by norbra

7 hours ago, NextG said:

s that when it stops working, which by the way is often already after 9, 10 or 11 months of use instead of the advertised 1 year

?? would earn you a proper defamation lawsuit.

I had one year SIM of DTAC valid until May 10th, 2023.

I had activated it myself online in May 2022.

I worked until I threw it out and switched to AIS on May 3rd, 2023.

Of course: if you buy some "already activated" SIM you have to check when it expires.

Always easy with the operators smartphone apps.

To be precise: AIS SIM expires one year after the online ORDER which was Apr 28th, 2023.

So expires Apr 28th, 2024.

So I loose a whopping 5 days.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks for the link.

But when looking at the pre-paid SIMs that dTac provides on that site, they do not sell the 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM.  dTac does have a promotion on that site for a 1-year 15 Mbps unlimited download SIM (with free calls to all networks) for 1.600,- THB. 

But the 30 Mbps dTac SIMS you can buy via Lazada or Shopee costs 1.750,- THB, so in my case - using it to stream movies in High-Resolution to my TV- that's a better deal [as speed-test shows that I do get that 30 Mbps speed, and am seldom confronted with buffering]. 

But thanks for the info, as I now see that you can buy at dTac a Gaming SIM for 2.549,- THB with unlimited internet at max speed 100Mbps for 365 days, so when my current one stops I will got for that Gaming SIM (I am not a gamer, but would buy it for the 100 Mbps speed).

It’s ‘up to 100 Mbps’. Location and equipment permitting. 
If you are looking at a high speed solution just for the home, take a look a the NT Wireless Thunder SIM. Mickeymaus has done a review of it. 999 baht for 12 months of ‘max speed’ Internet access. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

?? would earn you a proper defamation lawsuit.

I had one year SIM of DTAC valid until May 10th, 2023.

I had activated it myself online in May 2022.

I worked until I threw it out and switched to AIS on May 3rd, 2023.

Of course: if you buy some "already activated" SIM you have to check when it expires.

Always easy with the operators smartphone apps.

To be precise: AIS SIM expires one year after the online ORDER which was Apr 28th, 2023.

So expires Apr 28th, 2024.

So I loose a whopping 5 days.

The way that you have edited the post, makes it look as if I made the comment to which you are replying. 

16 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

My wife just did this. You need to get AIS to release the number so DTAC can pick it up. I for get the details but it starts at AIS.

AIS is OK but their customer service is terrible.

Question.

was your wife on a prepaid or on a postpaid plan with AIS?

I find the AIS customer service is quite good, very happy I made the switch from DTAC. 

16 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

My wife just did this. You need to get AIS to release the number so DTAC can pick it up. I for get the details but it starts at AIS.

AIS is OK but their customer service is terrible.

I guess we all have a different experience, I moved from True to AIS, because True customer service is really bad. As mentioned, DTAC is soon to become True. So you may be jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s ‘up to 100 Mbps’. Location and equipment permitting. 
If you are looking at a high speed solution just for the home, take a look a the NT Wireless Thunder SIM. Mickeymaus has done a review of it. 999 baht for 12 months of ‘max speed’ Internet access. 

Thanks a lot for this info!

Yes, when my current 30 Mbps unlimited download dTac expires, I will use the dual-SIM option of my RealMe phone, and 

a) if possible > keep the current phone number of that SIM and use it by topping up with credit for making/receiving phone-calls

b) buy the NT Wireless Thunder SIM for Internet access.

I am living 'in the sticks' but close to a dTac tower, so I guess that my location where I do get approx 25 Mbps of the 30Mbps max download speed on my current SIM, would give at least same speed and hopefully even faster. 

I already checked that my RealMe phone indeed supports the 4G-40 bandwidth needed for that NT Wireless Thunder SIM.

Thanks again for pointing me to this info!

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks a lot for this info!

Yes, when my current 30 Mbps unlimited download dTac expires, I will use the dual-SIM option of my RealMe phone, and 

a) if possible > keep the current phone number of that SIM and use it by topping up with credit for making/receiving phone-calls

b) buy the NT Wireless Thunder SIM for Internet access.

I am living 'in the sticks' but close to a dTac tower, so I guess that my location where I do get approx 25 Mbps of the 30Mbps max download speed on my current SIM, would give at least same speed and hopefully even faster. 

I already checked that my RealMe phone indeed supports the 4G-40 bandwidth needed for that NT Wireless Thunder SIM.

Thanks again for pointing me to this info!

Hopefully TOT/NT Wireless will know more will regard to Band 40 access at your location. They have a seven day money back guarantee as far as I know. 

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion

https://shopee.co.th/nt.official_shop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 7:29 AM, Ralf001 said:

The forum has a search function..... amazing Thailand !!

https://aseannow.com/topic/697747-port-my-ais-number-to-dtac-how/

Yes... because, as we know information from a 9 year old thread old never changes...  :whistling:

Its amazing the effort people go to to make a pillok of themselves !!!...????

Edited by richard_smith237

OP: go to the DTAC shop, they should help you out. 

I did similar a while ago (switched from AIS post-paid to True post-paid) - As usual in Thailand the things we often expect to be simple turn out to be bureaucratically complex and convoluted.....  the things we expect to be difficult turn out to be incredibly easy.

I found this to be the case with switching carriers, I expected  the ‘cannot’ or an awkward run-around...   It took 15 mins at the True shop, but I did end up with a day of being out of service while the switch was made. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... because, as we know information from a 9 year old thread old never changes...  :whistling:

Its amazing the effort people go to to make a pillok of themselves !!!...????

I ported my number from AIS to DTAC 6 months ago.

It went exactly as described in that link.

But that was 6 months ago aye...........

40 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I ported my number from AIS to DTAC 6 months ago.

It went exactly as described in that link.

But that was 6 months ago aye...........

Well that settles it... 9 years old threads are a valid source up to date information and the forum search function works perfectly !!!...

Now.. you could have simply just provided the link without the ‘smart arsed comment’ and pointed out that it was 9 years old but still relevant to you 6 months ago which would have been significantly more helpful.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well that settles it... 9 years old threads are a valid source up to date information and the forum search function works perfectly !!!...

Now.. you could have simply just provided the link without the ‘smart arsed comment’ and pointed out that it was 9 years old but still relevant to you 6 months ago which would have been significantly more helpful.

Build a bridge Bro.... and get over it.

On 5/13/2023 at 12:22 AM, NextG said:

The procedure may be different with regard to whether it is Postpaid or Prepaid. 
Usually you begin with generating a code and then taking that code to a service centre of the network to which to port. But that might not work with a passport number as the system is set up to work with Thai ID card numbers. 
To generate the code, you would enter *151*thirteendigitIDnumber# then to press the Call key on your phone keyboard. The code should arrive via SMS. Use that code within 30 days or it will expire. 

My AIS sim is Prepaid. Had it for years. I guess I should just head to a DTAC shop. I just don't want downtime or any mishaps with the transition, these days losing a phone number is a real issue when so many services rely on them for verification.

Edited by XGM