Another coffee shop near my hotel bites the dust.

steven100

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

6/6 took benefit from product A not product B. That is highly significant.

No placebo either as they expected B to work.

Expecting a product to work IS the placebo effect. Where do you get your medical "knowledge", out of a box of cornflakes?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, maechanman said:

I drink coffee most days and prefer it to be hot ,not warm or lukewarm, if it's not too my liking then I send it back and tell them it's not hot enough. Of course it does help if you can speak some Thai to emphasize your point.

In my experience many coffee places here serve warm tepid coffee, I've made myself a regular at a couple of places where the coffee is nearly always served piping hot so I tend to only use those places.

When i go to Amazon i ask for a tepid coffee, might as well as they always deliver

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

they haven't got a clue about customer service or how to run a business ....  

Yes, I saw a European guy in a mall one day lecturing a Thai service rep about how to give proper service... all she did was her job of taking his ## and saying she will have someone contact him... doing her job precisely as she was taught - but he wanted a pound of flesh - 

not far from my expensive hotel.

what does that have to do with a nearby coffee shop? How much was your 'expensive' hotel? 

haha ...Well, I'm glad another went bust,

I guess they don't check for the milk of human kindness running through your veins at reception... 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

was there not a franchise called '94' as this was considered the perfect temp?

you're obviously talking 94* fahrenheit, which is only 34* celcius. That's cold coffee because milk straight from the fridge is usually 10* celcius.

If you mean 94* celcius then that's > 200* fahrenheight. That's burn your mouth coffee.

As I said the perfect temperature to heat the milk to for cappuccinos, lattes etc is 75* celcius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

There seems to be a huge number of people willing to pay >100 THB for a coffee. 

Pretty much all the nice coffee shops charge more than that.

They, including me, are willing to pay that money for good quality coffee.

Unfortunately, lots of coffee shops don't provide that quality.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

you're obviously talking 94* fahrenheit, which is only 34* celcius. That's cold coffee because milk straight from the fridge is usually 10* celcius.

If you mean 94* celcius then that's > 200* fahrenheight. That's burn your mouth coffee.

As I said the perfect temperature to heat the milk to for cappuccinos, lattes etc is 75* celcius.

Above 35 is no benefit. 75 is way too hot.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems too many people think it's easy to open and run a coffee shop.

It's not. And they have to sell a lot of coffee to make money.

And there is no such thing as cheap good coffee.

They can sell cheap and bad coffee.

Or expensive and hopefully good coffee.

I think there are more than enough cheap and bad places so I would be surprised if any new places can get away with that.

And it seems there is a limited number of people who are willing to pay >100B for a good coffee.

I am a big coffee drinker and there is plenty of places up north, where you get fresh roasted quality beans (multiple options) and in my case a hot latte for that from 45 baht. 9/10 expensive places, the taste does not even come close to their coffee.

For the more exotic imported ones, specially arabica, they charge at most 75 baht a cup, still super reasonable. Maybe the difference is that they also own a farm, have a cheap shop house, and run it as a couple without additional staff. And they smile too, speak english.

In south europe also plenty of good coffee for a cheap price, so that is a nonsense argument. The >100B is just some ''i drink coffee in 5 star hotel rooftop bars'' or I live in New York crap.

The problem in Thailand, in my opinion, with quality is mainly because most businesses are owned by those who have most of the money, to then hire cheap staff and have zero passion or interest in their businesses or customers visiting the branch or branches.

They just launch 10-20 shops, if 3 make good money the rest can close over time. They really don't care at all about doing it to actually give high quality products and service. Few at least.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, bignok said:

Above 35 is no benefit. 75 is way too hot.

75* CELCIUS is the PERFECT temperature for all coffees made on heated milk. Anything less than that is only tepid or verging on cold. I make cappuccinos & lattes every day and milk heated to 35* celcius is STILL cold. Thai baristas are trained to heat the milk to 60* celcius and those coffees are only tepid. 75* celcius is NOT too hot to burn your mouth. Heck even the thermometer I purchased for heating the milk, from a coffee manufacturer, has a red line on it at 75* celcius as the point to stop heating the milk. So based on your "above 35 remark" I guess yo only like to drink cold coffee.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, steven100 said:

they are in a service industry ....  oh sorry '   they only care about the thai market, they're not open for tourists to have a coffee.   Well that business model worked well for them ...  they're out of business now.

They've set up the same shop somewhere else. Your attempt at chest beating is a pyrrhic victory. ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The >100B is just some ''i drink coffee in 5 star hotel rooftop bars'' or I live in New York crap.

I live in the middle of Bangkok. If owners have to rent a place in a good location, then I guess it will be difficult to sell the coffee cheaper and still make money.

And there is a limited amount of people who are willing to spend 3000B or more per month just for coffee. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in the middle of Bangkok. If owners have to rent a place in a good location, then I guess it will be difficult to sell the coffee cheaper and still make money.

And there is a limited amount of people who are willing to spend 3000B or more per month just for coffee. 

Sure but even then, it is still more than perfectly doable to sell it for 80-100 baht. I consider that a normal price when I have to visit Bangkok, you simply pay a bit more for everything if not wanting to waste 20 minutes time, going to a cheaper place.

If people think that is too much, they should consider moving to another city I guess. 3000 baht a month for a good coffee daily is normal to me in BKK, in Chiang Mai i get 2 for this hehe.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

21 hours ago, Celsius said:

You have no idea if they have gone bust or just upgraded their business.

I always found it interesting in NYC when a shop would close, people would feel sorry for the owners and assume bankruptcy when the truth was sometimes retirement... 

20 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I always found it interesting in NYC when a shop would close, people would feel sorry for the owners and assume bankruptcy when the truth was sometimes retirement... 

Are you suggesting the OP's coffee shop owners have retired to a multi-million baht Jomtiem condo?

16 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

You are correct, my bad.

What happened to that franchise? as i recall they were ok.

On 5/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, BritManToo said:

Coffee and tea are made with boiling water.

So it should be nearly boiling when served.

Can't quite agree with you there .Boiling water on tea is good as opens up the leaves but boiling water on coffee burns the coffee IMHO .

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Can't quite agree with you there .Boiling water on tea is good as opens up the leaves but boiling water on coffee burns the coffee IMHO .

The ONLY coffee that should be made with boiling water is instant coffee.