Stark warning over Republicans’ ‘dehumanizing’ rhetoric on crime

onthedarkside

image.png.59eb4d3448586da4ce3efc4a098f450f.png

Republican and rightwing rhetoric over the state of crime in the US could spark a rise in violent incidents and worsen the country’s mass incarceration problem, experts say, as “tough-on-crime” political ads and messaging seem set to play a large role in the 2024 election.

Violent crime was a huge focus for Republican candidates during the 2022 midterm elections. Republicans spent about $50m on crime ads in the two months leading up to those elections, the ads pushing a dystopian vision of cities ridden by murder, robbery and assault, and of Democratic politicians unwilling to act.

READ MORE

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/14/republican-tough-on-crime-us-elections-2010

image.png.1ff8fb538f1559fb248e2a9bf264783c.png

It’s certainly not as bad as the republicans would have you believe although there certainly are very sketchy places In many big cities just as it’s been for all of history.

• Like 2

'...the ads pushing a dystopian vision of cities ridden by murder, robbery and assault, and of Democratic politicians unwilling to act.'

Well if people are stupid enough to fall for that they'll get what they deserve. I have no sympathy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Not much evidence that violent crime is up in any meaningful way.

More lies and disinformation from the Republican Party.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 15.08.18.png

I just read the article and it didn't say that the Republicans claimed that violent crime is up .

So, they wasn't lying about that because they didn't say that

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What has Biden done about gun control ?

He’s done everything possible within the framework of our system the United States is not a dictatorship in a 2 party democracy it takes both parties to work together to address the issue one party isent I don’t know we’re you are from but in the United States a president cannot just decree something 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Then there's the facts that Republicans prefer to ignore. From the OP:

Ironically, given the accusation from the right that Democrats are too soft on crime, it appears to be traditionally “red states” that have the more serious crime problem.

“The murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump has exceeded the murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden in every year from 2000 to 2020,” Third Way, a US thinktank, reported in January. Third Way also found that in 2020 murder rates “were 40% higher in Trump-voting states than Biden-voting states”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/14/republican-tough-on-crime-us-elections-2010

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Then there's the facts that Republicans prefer to ignore. From the OP:

Ironically, given the accusation from the right that Democrats are too soft on crime, it appears to be traditionally “red states” that have the more serious crime problem.

“The murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump has exceeded the murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden in every year from 2000 to 2020,” Third Way, a US thinktank, reported in January. Third Way also found that in 2020 murder rates “were 40% higher in Trump-voting states than Biden-voting states”.

As usual the gaurdian fails to further break down the statistics because it would render their point mute... while red states have crime it is proportionately out of balance on a state basis because it is concentrated in blue run inner cities... eliminate those cesspools from the mix and the change is dramatic toward blue states leading crime overall... do the work! 

5 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

As usual the gaurdian fails to further break down the statistics because it would render their point mute... while red states have crime it is proportionately out of balance on a state basis because it is concentrated in blue run inner cities... eliminate those cesspools from the mix and the change is dramatic toward blue states leading crime overall... do the work! 

As usual the Guardian provides a direct link for its sources in its reporting................why I am not surprised you failed to do the work to click them

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just read the article and it didn't say that the Republicans claimed that violent crime is up .

So, they wasn't lying about that because they didn't say that

From the article: “Joe Biden and the defund-the-police Democrats have turned our once-great cities into cesspools of bloodshed and crime,” Trump said"

This certainly seems to be Trump saying that crime is up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

As usual the Guardian provides a direct link for its sources in its reporting................why I am not surprised you failed to do the work to click them

I read the articles and sourced their statistics... then did a critical analysis... I stand by my post... do the math... the gaurdian is a liberal rag and is very well known to distort the facts to comply with their liberal agenda.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You did a critical analysis......really....lol

So tell me what did you analysis from this, just one of over a dozen links provided in the article...................

The murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump has exceeded the murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden in every year from 2000 to 2020.

Over this 21-year span, this Red State murder gap has steadily widened from a low of 9% more per capita red state murders in 2003 and 2004 to 44% more per capita red state murders in 2019, before settling back to 43% in 2020.

Altogether, the per capita Red State murder rate was 23% higher than the Blue State murder rate when all 21 years were combined.

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two-decade-red-state-murder-problem

Critical analysis... yes and if you were smart enough you could too.

For instance... The first city with the highest murder rate is St. Louise in the United States... a red state but a blue city. Followed by Baltimore, Maryland... both blue.  Followed by San Juan, Puerto Rico... both blue.  Followed by Detroit, Michigan... both blue.  Followed by Milwaukee, Wisconsin... red state but blue city.  Followed by New Orleans, Louisianna... red state but blue city.  Followed by Cleveland, Ohio... red state but blue city...

I think that even you can interpolate what going on here... Blue cities are the leading murder rate areas in the USA and distort the face of red states when lump summed as the guardian tends to do on everything that they spew forth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Critical analysis... yes and if you were smart enough you could too.

For instance... The first city with the highest murder rate is St. Louise in the United States... a red state but a blue city. Followed by Baltimore, Maryland... both blue.  Followed by San Juan, Puerto Rico... both blue.  Followed by Detroit, Michigan... both blue.  Followed by Milwaukee, Wisconsin... red state but blue city.  Followed by New Orleans, Louisianna... red state but blue city.  Followed by Cleveland, Ohio... red state but blue city...

I think that even you can interpolate what going on here... Blue cities are the leading murder rate areas in the USA and distort the face of red states when lump summed as the guardian tends to do on everything that they spew forth.

You missed this, don't worry I don't cast accusations on how smart or not you are.

"Even when murders in the largest cities in red states are removed, overall murder rates in Trump-voting states were 12% higher than Biden-voting states across this 21-year period and were higher in 18 of the 21 years observed."

20 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Not much evidence that violent crime is up in any meaningful way.

More lies and disinformation from the Republican Party.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 15.08.18.png

I recall the article was about crime, not specifically violent crime.

Do you consider the downgrading of criminal violations in Democratic run cities and cashless bail and non-prosecutions of criminal offenses impacts real crime statistics.

Do you consider all those illegals crossing the southern border are committing crimes,

So if you're presenting crime statistic graphs, how about researching all crime and plotting that to give a true picture of the rise in crime in the USA, especially in 2022 and 2023.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1