Military-backed senators refuse to back MFP form a government

webfact

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

@soalbundy already explained my reasoning, and yes Anutin has been flagged as the next PM for the last 6 months.

4 days ago no one thought that MFP would be 1st in the popular vote. Things change. As they say a day is a long time in politics.

• Like 2

Just now, dinsdale said:

4 days ago no one thought that MFP would be 1st in the popular vote. Things change. As they say a day is a long time in politics.

BJ has 71 seats I think, who will vote for Anutin, add to that 250 senators and we are at 321.

Anutin was part of the Thaksin camp in the past, so there may well be some PT MP's as well who vote Anutin, to get Thaksin his out of jail card

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

No he didn't

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-idUSKCN1T60AM

In March, Pheu Thai won the most seats in the 500-seat elected House of Representatives. Prayuth’s Palang Pracharat party came second and Thanathorn’s Future Forward Party third.

Prayuth was independent, not even on the ballot of the party that received the SECOND most votes.

Wikipedia....by a large margin..half a million votes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Thai_general_election

PTP got more seats as the constitution the military made favored PTP. (so they didn't even tailor the constitution to fit themself)

image.png.51477f7b4edfc587fc8f1b4c32056c54.png

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes eventually the constitution will be rewritten and the senate reformed. We have to wait and see what will happen with coalitions 1st.

And that will be allowed to happen? I'm not seeing that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

BJ has 71 seats I think, who will vote for Anutin, add to that 250 senators and we are at 321.

Anutin was part of the Thaksin camp in the past, so there may well be some PT MP's as well who vote Anutin, to get Thaksin his out of jail card

Yes but then in the House of Reps you would have an unworkable minority government because even with the military backed minor parties the BJT minor party coalition would be massively out voted. Remember the 2 houses coming together is only for electing the PM. Then the PM forms the cabinet. The senate has no vote in the house on passing or rejecting bills. The majority oppostion will reject everything. There will be a call of no confidence and the military appointed govt collapses. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the previous constitution was there anything stating that coups are legal ?

If not then none of the senators have any legitimacy. 

This is all going to end with more protests ....but this time they will be much bigger and the international community will exert more pressure. 

Even the usually apathetic have had enough .

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes eventually the constitution will be rewritten and the senate reformed. We have to wait and see what will happen with coalitions 1st.

How can the constitution be rewritten if the senate is the one who has the right to do so? There is no way that the senate will dismantle itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

After the house passes a bill it goes to the senate who can reject it.

Yes. If the bill is passed. Do you think a majority opposition who have a massive mandate from the people will pass any bills?

Just now, eisfeld said:

How can the constitution be rewritten if the senate is the one who has the right to do so? There is no way that the senate will dismantle itself.

Change of government. Pita has already stated a new constitution will be written.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Change of government. Pita has already stated a new constitution will be written.

They can write a new constituion but if the senate is the only one according to the constitution who can amend it then how would it be enacted? That's my point. The senate has a complete veto right on every bill and the constitution. It doesn't even matter who the government is.

There are only two ways out of this: either they sway enough senators (highly unlikely) or somehow tople the senate, a civil coup which would be very very ugly. It's a very tough situation because the military enshrined their power through the senate into perpetuity pretty much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RayOday said:

Democracy is a form of government in which the people hold power. This power is exercised through elected representatives, who are chosen by the people to make decisions on their behalf. Democracy is based on the principle of popular sovereignty, which means that the people are the ultimate source of authority.

I can't think of a country that is democratic...
in oz its voting preferences that screw the popular vote

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

I can't think of a country that is democratic...
in oz its voting preferences that screw the popular vote

There are levels.

Human endeavors are not realistically about purity or perfection.

49 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And then what?

Lose every single vote in the lower house.

Simply won’t happen.

• Like 1