British family offer reward for their 17-year-old boy to be ‘detained on sight’ after he went missing in Thailand’s ‘Sin City’ Pattaya

webfact

Like many on here, I think there isn't enough information. Did he leave the UK alone, did he fly to Bangkok with family and then take off? As someone here mentioned, in the UK at 16 he doesn't need to answer to parents so at 17 I assume he's considered an adult and not a minor as his Aunt said. With todays technology it's hard to not stay in touch with friends and family while traveling so there's more to this. Story also mentioned he's been missing since the 12th but his whereabouts were known until the evening of Sunday 14th. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A worried family have offered a reward to find and 'detain on sight' a British teenager who went missing in Thailand's 'Sin City' Pattaya over the weekend.

Which is essentially kidnapping.  I would not touch that offer with a 10 foot pole.  If they are serious, hire a private investigator and legally grant the agency to ability to find and detain the kid.  Asking Joe and Somchai Average to do that for them.  That's a criminal and civil lawsuit just waiting to ripen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

He's having too much fun to return to the UK.

Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

The kid's close enough to the age of majority to make his own decisions.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What are the parents doing letting a 17 yr old travel to Thailand alone?

How many 18 year olds travel to Thailand alone? What's the difference between 17 and 18?  A few months.  He probably didn't want to spend his life as an Incel and found that there is (sex) life outside of the rather sexless life that Western women impose on Western men if they aren't considered to be "Mr. Right".  "Nice guys" don't get sex in the West, but they sure can here.

1 minute ago, connda said:

What's the difference between 17 and 18? 

What's the difference between shagging a 15 year old girl in UK and one at 16..........a few months.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Fine lookin' lad. If he's on the run then let's hope he keeps runnin' and loses a chin or two!

Why?  If he's got the money, then he'll find some honey.  Double chin or otherwise.  ฿฿฿ํ You so hansum and sexy man ฿฿฿

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I have never been ID'd in a Thai bar and i am in my 80's now.

well done ! .....   but you shouldn't be here typing a message on a forum ....   you should be resting and getting ready for supper and bed ... 

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why are you blaming the parents. The guy in question is 17 years old, and should be able to take care of himself. Like @BritManToo says it´s 16 in the UK. I was travelling abroad alone at the age of 14-15. My god! The only way to blame the parents in any kind of way here, is that they might not have been teaching to call back home and send pictures of the girls.

I had a car and was doing inter-state travel without my parents at 16.
I had good parents.  They were there as a safety net when I couldn't sort things out by myself between 16 and 18.  Funny back in the 60s.  One month you're "A Minor" and the next you're getting your a** shipped off to Vietnam.  Maybe a few months later you come back in a body bag.  From "minor" to morgue in a matter of months.  It's stuff like this that make teenagers rebel in the first place. 

My parents had the wisdom to loosen the reins and allow me to grow up between 16 and 18. I had went to school, held down a job, had a car and a life. This kids parents would be wise to follow suit. 
And a 235 quid "reward."  <laughs> That's embarrassing.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What's the difference between shagging a 15 year old girl in UK and one at 16..........a few months.

Depending on how old the shagger is?  Possibly a few years. 

5 hours ago, picctrainop said:

That’s Not True… Parents Have To Give Written Permission For Their Children To Travel Alone Under The Age Of Eighteen…

That's not true either. When I was 42, I took my 17 year old girlfriend to Canada without any such permission, it wasn't asked for at Canada Immigration. 

57 minutes ago, connda said:

The kid's close enough to the age of majority to make his own decisions.

'Close enough' isn't any good in the law. <deleted> a bird 15 yrs and 11 months and you're up for it if she wants to say.

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

He will be in a bar explainng to a confused girl that "Cuddies is fasta then gizzies"

He's from Gateshead in NE England. He's a 'Geordie'.

In the Geordie language a 'Cuddy' is a small horse and a 'Gizzy' is a pig.

Well, THB 10'000 is helluva lot of money to find a loved one. Given the assumption, that he might be in Pattaya .... you have three guesses, what he might be doing instead of calling back home ???? 

I hope he's OK and gets properly "grown up"; he will return as a different character 8-) 

16 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

In America, I think the legal age is 18 TIT

You can join the military and get killed, but not buy a beer! 

Not sure what might have happened to me had I been dropped in Pattaya with some money in my pocket at 17!

53 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Hi all. Thanks for all of the help. Ryan White has been found safe and well and is getting a flight home today,

According to Bangkok Expats FB group, I bet he's gutted 

Yes.

Now he will have the piss taken out him for the next 5 years.

Well done Mum and Dad. 

11 minutes ago, quake said:

Yes.

Now he will have the piss taken out him for the next 5 years.

Well done Mum and Dad. 

Character building. 

His own adventure to recount in the pub... when he is old enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1