Excise Department supports Move Forward Party’s Progressive Liquor Act

snoop1130

1 hour ago, smoo1954 said:

So the Move Forward Party claim more alcohol is good but ganja is bad m’kay. 

Some are starting to highlight this potential inconsistency in messaging re: health.

MVF spokeswoman yesterday mentioned that any actions (restricted/unrestricted) on Cannabis would include health considerations vs. Alcohol and Tobacco. 

This craft beer-driven alcohol liberalization is, in many ways. similar to Cannabis normalization.

Beer-loving Thai lawmaker takes aim at $14 billion booze industry duopoly

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/beer-loving-thai-lawmaker-takes-aim-14-billion-booze-industry-duopoly-2023-05-23/

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Great. Now cut the import tax by at least 50%

Nah.

That'll remain steadfast - even see increases.

Beneficial for those that wish to see the ever constant whining Farang go on and on and on.

Perhaps they'll leave. 

Get the idea?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

This is not about increasing consumption of alcohol it is about opening the market to competition and reducing prices.

Yes,  open up the market.

Price reduction,  no way

Dream on.

• Like 2

How about a Thai imitation of single malt Scotch whisky the way the Indians and Japanese have done, thus avoiding the import and much of the luxury taxes? There is a close one on the market now, but a blend, of imported Scotch malt and grain spirits from rice (not sure from where) that sells itself as being in the Japanese mode, but since it says Product of Thailand on the back it's far cheaper than one would expect. 

I agree, it's a matter of quality not quantity at a reasonable average global price.

I saw a bottle of Italian Primitivo last night for 800 baht, that I could probably buy in Puglia for 5 or 6 euros. Shipping can't account for that. 

1 hour ago, kennw said:

How do you measure production in horsepower? surely it should be litres or gallons

Maybe they still use the old unit of measurement when small stationary engines were used for power.

Times have moved on but here in Los apparently not 

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Great. Now cut the import tax by at least 50%

Well said! From a report more than 18 months ago:-  

"Thailand Plans to Cut Import Duty on Wine and Spirits by 50% (September 21, 2021)

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Nah.

That'll remain steadfast - even see increases.

Beneficial for those that wish to see the ever constant whining Farang go on and on and on.

Perhaps they'll leave. 

Get the idea?

"Perhaps they'll leave."

And then TAT will spend millions of baht trying to entice them back! ????  

I'm not a liquor drinker but I'm all for open markets.  It'll lower prices and create jobs.

Amazing how the duopoly has managed to get away with this.  The Junta definitely had a hand in the till creating such an awful scenario. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

n Thailand, small manufacturers have a production rate of 5 horsepower (hp) or less, while medium-sized producers have a rate of 5-50hp, and large manufacturers exceed 50hp.

I never knew that Beer production was measured in Horse Power as opposed to litre.