Brit’s killer safe in Oslo and will not be extradited to Thailand with local police taking on the case

webfact

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No, it does not. A photograph of a person does not provide evidence of their nationality (unless it's a photo of them holding their passport, of course).

Never mentioned nationality.

• Sad 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He was English, though, not Welsh, Scottish or Irish but, more relevantly, there has never been a report that he was Indian.

How do you know he was English? link? he has an indian name so Indian heritage, stop being woke

I know he was English, I don't need to show "a link", you can check it yourself but I think that you also know that he was English.   He definitely was not "an Indian" as some people have been saying (regardless of how you see his "heritage").

Believe me, I am the least "woke" person but, even if I wasn't, who would you be to tell me to stop it?!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, bignok said:
31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it does not, it shows a Briton.

Post the photo.

What?  Post the photo of what, or whom?   If you're referring to the man killed by the Norwegian, any photo I post would be a photo of a British man as he was British.

14 minutes ago, bignok said:

Brits cannot do anything to him. He is not British, no crime was done in Britain. Only Norway or Thailand can do anything.

Odd logic!   He didn't commit any crime in Norway, either, but he's being investigated there for murder.

If the Thai authorities had wanted to involve the British authorities they could have done following the murder of a Briton but there was no need for that as Thailand and Norway are taking care of it.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Odd logic!   He didn't commit any crime in Norway, either, but he's being investigated there for murder.

If the Thai authorities had wanted to involve the British authorities they could have done following the murder of a Briton but there was no need for that as Thailand and Norway are taking care of it.

Why is it odd? Norwegian law allows for crimes committed overseas by Norwegian citizens to be prosecuted if in public interest.

The UK court cannot go after a Norwegian guy who allegedly commited a crime in Thailand.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The UK has no jurisdiction in Thailand or Norway.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He was not and the link you posted does not state that, either, he was British from Britain.

Nonsense.

Point out here, by quoting it from your link, where it said that he was Indian (or where any report has said that he was Indian), then you can claim that my comment was "nonsense", until then the "nonsense" is not mine.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

Victim was an Indian guy from the UK.

No, he was a British guy from the UK. According to reports from the UK, he was a member of the Sikh community so probably (but but necessarily) of Indian heritage. 

That doesn't make him Indian. For instance, my family is of Irish heritage but I am not Irish.

• Sad 1

Oh poor baby, so much stress, it must be hard for him.......well then idiot, if it was self-defense, why not stay, state your case and fight it? (but you hide like an animal)  Because you are guilty that's why? Scumbag! 

Edited by mushroomdave

29 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Have to give you a downvote on this one spider, you talk sense normally. I agree that the Norwegian police are bound to be more competent than the Thais, but it's thousands of miles away from the scene of the crime and any possible witnesses. He also fled the country, which I should imagine is a crime in itself. There's also the fact that the courts could be subconsciously sympathetic to a fellow countryman, which I suspect is why the guy legged it back there. I hope they take into account that the guy is a martial arts expert, therefore his body is a weapon (supposedly), not to mention breaking into the other guy's room which also contained the other guy's wife and young child.

I'm slightly biased on this I admit because I too suffered from noise in the early hours during my condo-staying days and had a couple of brushes with those responsible. The Norwegian ought to be jailed for life just for being inconsiderate in my opinion, along with all those like him. They drive people demented.

The good thing, we will get an answer to all the questions, so I would not worry, he have nowhere to go now! 

1 minute ago, chalawaan said:

I don't believe in karma, but it looks like he's one lucky suspect to have even made it home, and it's still not over.

He's probably bankrupt too, a good fake passport would not be cheap. 

It was probably a genuine passport using a fake name .

Could have gotten a friend to apply for a new passport and used his photo 

If you look at the way the investigation and court case were conducted in the now famous Koh Tao murder case where the 2 Burmese guys were found 'guilty'  - I can understand why any government would not allow one of its citizens to be extradited to Thailand.

Without commenting on the likelihood of guilt is this case, it is very clear that people rarely get tried properly or that internationally accepted evidence standards are applied.  Due process is totally ignored.  Suspects are paraded on TV and in the media as if they are guilty etc. etc. etc.  In the Koh Tao murder case, the defence were not provided with samples of DNA to have independently tested. Various dodgy reasons were given for that - from losing the sample material to not having enough.

In most other countries, that fact alone would have seen the case dismissed if its central to the prosecution's case. Why? Well why should the police's DNA tests be trusted? The defence must be given the opportunity to test all evidence provided by the prosecution. That is internationally agreed and applied.

It seems to me that once someone is considered guilty by the police in Thailand in one of these high profile murder cases, the defendant is always found guilty.  Thailand wants to be seen to be doing something when it comes to the murder of a tourist or expat. I think that more attention is given to the potential effect on toursim than to establishing actual guilt.

I fully support Norway's refusal to extradite this man but I also hope he is properly tried in Norway.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That 'nightmare' was self inflicted.

The real nightmare was for the poor family of the man that he killed.

Innocent people do not run. Well that is my personal view.

In Thailand being innocent does not automatically translate into not guilty . 

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No, it does not. A photograph of a person does not provide evidence of their nationality (unless it's a photo of them holding their passport, of course).

Not of their nationality, but of their ethnicity.  You can clearly see the ethnicity in the faces of people, the height, skin color, bone structure etc.