Brit’s killer safe in Oslo and will not be extradited to Thailand with local police taking on the case

webfact

On 6/3/2023 at 5:26 AM, ChipButty said:

Did the Norwegians give him a dodgy passport to get home I wonder 

Some years ago a Swedish - Iranian young man out on bail for murder got back to Sweden with his brothers passport.

Twitch... He got killed by his own family for allegedly converting to Buddhism before bail.

Edited by PoorSucker

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

To me, more of a problem is not the fact that the Thai police are not 100% reliable (no police are), but rather what the consequences of making an honest, malicious, or systemic mistake will be when the death penalty is factored in.   If the death penalty were not involved, it would be a no-brainer to try him here, but ... well, this is for sure complicated, so it's lucky for the world you and I are not the final arbiters here in the comment section.  :-)  

True, Scandic countries do not extradite to countries with death penalty.

6 hours ago, sloopjohn said:

According to a Phuket Police Major Mr. Bajaj went into Mr Bullman's room and threatened him with a Steak Knife to quiet him down.  He actually stabbed Bullman in the shoulder, according to police.

That was the initial report - very possibly based on Bullman's account of events (since Bajaj obviously, was not around to give his version).

Later on however, the police stated that after further investigation, both eye witness testimony (from the dead man's family) and more importantly the physical evidence, indicated that their initial report was incorrect and Bullman had broken into the British family's room by battering down a door separating the rooms.

See Thai Examiner report below, from back in 2019.

Bullman still on the run, to be charged with murder 

In another report, it was stated Police also apparently concluded, based on the angle, positioning and depth of the wound that Bullman already had his victim in the stranglehold when he was stabbed. So again, based on that view of events, it seems that Bullman was the aggressor and the Brit was the one acting in self defence when he stabbed Bullman while trying to break free.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FarAway said:

Not of their nationality, but of their ethnicity.  You can clearly see the ethnicity in the faces of people, the height, skin color, bone structure etc.

Sorry, but that's untrue.

Sometimes, physical characteristics can be suggestive of an ethnic origin but they are by no means always "clear" or definitive.

Do you honestly think that if you looked at a hundred photos of random people, you could definitively identify the ethnicity of all of them?

Genetics simply aren't that uniform and predictable.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

10 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Sometimes, physical characteristics can be suggestive of an ethnic origin but they are by no means always "clear" or definitive.

Do you honestly think that if you looked at a hundred photos of random people, you could definitively identify the ethnicity of all of them?

Correct,  I have a passing interest in physical appearance and  accent / spoken language structure / ethnic roots and at times I am extremely surprised as to what I discover. 

22 hours ago, David Whitemore said:

So he going to get away with murder, stop using his ill health as an excuse, he committed a crime  he needs to do the time behind bars, I hope the family in the UK will persuade and get justice

It all really depends on whether it really was self defence or not, none of us really know. I know that I would have no qualms about killing anyone if I was attacked unprovoked and thought myself or family member could be at risk of being killed or injured.

Derogatory slur reported and removed.

A reported racially tinged post, a reply to it, and an off-topic post dragging the US Police into the OP have been removed.

15. You will not discriminate or post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, medical history, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, paternity, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you base that uncorroborated assertion on?

just a hunch, let's wait and see, don't jump to conclusions 

"...let's wait and see, don't jump to conclusions".

I wasn't, you were!

23 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

This article is loaded with trigger words to induce sympathy for this criminal:

A frail and ill Roger Bullman, after a nightmare of nearly four years on the run, is recovering in Oslo with his family

the 57-year-old who is reported to be suffering from chronic ill health after nearly four years of stress on the run in Southeast Asia as he tried to make his way home to see his young daughter again

the Norwegian family man

Roger Bullman looked gaunt and frail

The article does not mention the British family man who was strangled to death in front of his wife and infant son. I guess that would diminish the sympathy drive.

I noticed that too. 

The Thai Enquirer is getting a reputation and not a good one at that. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, wealthychef said:

Tell that to Juilan Assange.  There are many reasons to run from "justice", like when you are being falsely accused.  And in my personal view, nobody on this forum knows what really happened. Truth is unlikely to come out.  How can the Norwegians investigate a murder in Thailand?  And who trusts the Thai government to investigate?  I would just say an eye for an eye, extradite the guy and try him here where he allegedly committed the crime.  

Nordic countries have prosecuted their own nationals for sex crimes committed in Thailand and definitely it is possible for murder.  AFAIK it involves Norwegian prosecutors travelling to Thailand to obtain evidence from Thai police and prosecutors and probably Thai officials travelling to Norway to testify at the trial.  The problem will probably be that the Thai officials will be incompetent in presenting the case in a manner that a conviction could be obtained in a Norwegian court, since they are so used to their own bent justice system where rules of evidence and rights of accused can so easily be trampled on.  Often in extradition cases, Thai prosecutors just treat the trips as boondoggle shopping expeditions for themselves and their families.  Getting a murder conviction may be a lot harder than an extradition order.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

If anyone has visited a Thai prison, you would know that being found guilty in Norway is a much better choice than Thailand. Try to see Michael Moore's 2015 film Where to Invade Next for a look at the Norway system. Bullman would do well to plead guilty there.

ahhhh he is soooo happy to see his little daughter again... may be he should thought of it  BEFORE.

A  Killing is never only the fault of the Victim and i really  kind of wonder how he made it  back to  Norway. Did he swim? and if  so which route did he take? Or may be walking? However, how to cross borders without a PP or Visa? Did the Norwegian Authorities in Thailand helped him with a PP? i mean the Norwegians do a lot of things since a couple of years not really confirm with international Law right?
I  dont worry, he will be safe in Norway, under European law, 
Karma is a bltch and sooner or later...  to be honest,  i dont want to live with the guilt of murderer

On 6/3/2023 at 2:50 PM, off road pat said:

Hm,...I hope never to get into a similar situation,...I don't trust Thai Justice !!!

absoltutely  right. In the same  situation, i  guess that was the best he could do, trying to reach his homecountry. In Thailand you are always  with one leg in jail, most ppl do not realize it but what if you are having an accident and somebody dies and the learned you had a beer before.  Walking in Chains for at least  a couple of years is  for sure no fun and murder is a different number here,  there are plenty of books  about Bangkok Hilton.

25 minutes ago, moskito said:

outside from jail right?  I honestly  doubt that ANY witnesses will be heard in Norway...how?

The only witness to the altercation as far as I'm aware, is the dead man's wife (the son was only two at the time, so too young to give testimony). I'd have thought she would readily give witness testimony in Norway. It's not as if it's that far from London, where they live, according to reports.

She would no doubt reiterate the account she already gave. As stated in the following BBC article:

... the attacker "barged" into [our] room naked and "just started charging at my husband".

"My husband tried to block the man and move me and my son away. As the man was kicking, punching and just, beating him up, my husband told me to please leave and save our son"

Thailand hotel fight: Briton Amitpal Singh Bajaj killed

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The only witness to the altercation as far as I'm aware, is the dead man's wife (the son was only two at the time, so too young to give testimony). I'd have thought she would readily give witness testimony in Norway. It's not as if it's that far from London, where they live, according to reports.

nah not really, witnesses are also the people heard him singing his Opera (not the first time  like another newspaper wrote) and people seeing him drinking  before or knowing him private. Thats all witnesses. The wife will not be very reliable for the lawyer, since she and the victim were related.
However, the stories i read so far about this guy dont let him really  shine.  But hey,  its Phuket and everybody here can do what he wants to  do  right? I am living here  now since 25 years straight and from what i was seeing in arrivals in the past years here, it will not become much better ... CLASS instead of MASS should it be but instead GREED is running the island....we take everything and everybody now... GanjaHeads and DrugAddicts of the world, just move to THAILAND ????

nice article here from ThaiExaminer Newspaper with some more details ThaiExaminer

Edited by moskito
added a link

3 minutes ago, moskito said:

nah not really, witnesses are also the people heard him singing his Opera (not the first time  like another newspaper wrote) and people seeing him drinking  before or knowing him private. Thats all witnesses. The wife will not be very reliable for the lawyer, since she and the victim were related.
However, the stories i read so far about this guy dont let him really  shine.  But hey,  its Phuket and everybody here can do what he wants to  do  right? I am living here  now since 25 years straight and from what i was seeing in arrivals in the past years here, it will not become much better ... CLASS instead of MASS should it be but instead GREED is running the island....we take everything and everybody now... GanjaHeads and DrugAddicts of the world, just move to THAILAND ????

You saying a wife who was first hand witness have no reliability? 

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

You saying a wife who was first hand witness have no reliability? 

For sure she can make her statement and tell the  judge how it was or better how she see it was. She is mentally hooked to her died husband,  so the lawyer  will try to telling the jury (if there is one, even in Europe there are jurys) she will tell the story of her point of view.  There is a reason you can refuse to  witness against your relatives, family or close friends.... damn my English suxx  sry

18 minutes ago, moskito said:

For sure she can make her statement and tell the  judge how it was or better how she see it was. She is mentally hooked to her died husband,  so the lawyer  will try to telling the jury (if there is one, even in Europe there are jurys) she will tell the story of her point of view.  There is a reason you can refuse to  witness against your relatives, family or close friends.... damn my English suxx  sry

Her story can either back up available evidences provided by police, or as you say she was not able to see what happened in realtime because of the extreme situation.

I have experienced that several time, that witnesses even been on same place at same time give different statements. 

Except from that, Im sure she can verify the lead up to the tragic murder and who entered whos room and where the murder took place, which is essential because of his statement of self defense.

If he murdered the victim in his room, you cant call it self defense.

No worries, english is not my first language either, so grammar police have to bear with us

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I am 100% certain that you can give me 25 pictures of a white guy, 25 pictures of an Asian, 25 pictures of a black guy and 25 pictures of an Indian guy I will be able to categorize all of them correctly.

White, Asians, Black and Indians have very distinctive features by how you can differentiate them quite easily. You are absolutely delusional for whatever reason, maybe heavy leftist or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1