Some Imm Offices refusing to do the 'change of Visa process' (applying for 90-day Non Imm O Visa from a VisaExempt entry)

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

What laziness??

The laziness of not wanting to do it right and get a visa at the Thai embassy in Laos, and coming back visa exempt .  I don't know why we are even talking about this, If the IO tells you to do it there Do it there! \

Whether you do it there, or come visa exempt, and do it here there is no difference in your investment . Either way you have to do it. So I don't get it why we are even talking about that.

PS: when my friend complained about the small discrepancy in hos monthly deposits, and said that in Bangkok he would have the option to do a combination deposit/and income, He was told this is  not bangkok .

THIS.... Is .. SPARTA !! and he was kicked down a well ????

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The laziness of not wanting to do it right and get a visa at the Thai embassy in Laos, and coming back visa exempt .  I don't know why we are even talking about this, If the IO tells you to do it there Do it there

Please stop.

What "right visa" 

Converting from tourist visa or visa exempt permit is outlined in government regulations. 

A Non O retirement can be obtained at many consulates OR 

At time immigration.

Here is pic outlining that law.

You cannot read it but download it yourself.

Just because some nutter io sends you away means nothing.

Screenshot_20230605-105355.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please stop.

What "right visa" 

Converting from tourist visa or visa exempt permit is outlined in government regulations. 

A Non O retirement can be obtained at many consulates OR 

At time immigration.

Here is pic outlining that law.

You cannot read it but download it yourself.

Just because some nutter io sends you away means nothing.

Screenshot_20230605-105355.jpg

Ok 

Make sure to show that to the IO next time you are there, I am sure they will appreciate the education. 

• Like 1

I killed my OA extension by taking a short trip to my home country and returned visa exempt, later applied for a non imm O visa based on retirement and a subsequent retirement extension.

All successfully completed but had a home visit with photos of myself in front of the house number, sitting in the lounge and on my bed, I also received an under consideration stamp ( for retirement ) until my O visa expired and my extension granted.

A little unusual, the last paragraph, and annoying but with a successful outcome.

Now, a friend in exactly the same situation followed exactly the same route some 2 weeks after me. He had no home visit or under consideration stamp, a different immigration office.

The only difference being my immigration office is 10 minutes away, his is 1 hour . 
Could this be the reason for different processes of the exact same situation  ?? or one of the IO’s not following procedure .

Edited yesterday at 10:47 AM by Andrew Dwyer

I think you are spot on I live 90 km from the immigration office so a home visit would have required a near full day out of the office for him he just couldn't be bothered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Ok 

Make sure to show that to the IO next time you are there, I am sure they will appreciate the education. 

They are already well aware of the rules. They simply choose not to follow them as it is too much trouble.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, supermac said:

Now, a friend in exactly the same situation followed exactly the same route some 2 weeks after me. He had no home visit or under consideration stamp, a different immigration office.

It seems likely that your friend was applying for a one-year extension of an existing Non Immigrant permission to stay, not applying for a Non O visa at immigration. The former is signed off at the local immigration office. The latter is taken under consideration, and approved at Division headquarters.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It seems likely that your friend was applying for a one-year extension of an existing Non Immigrant permission to stay, not applying for a Non O visa at immigration. The former is signed off at the local immigration office. The latter is taken under consideration, and approved at Division headquarters.

For info > I was that friend, and I followed the exact same process as my friend.

I.e. I did fly to my home-country for a holiday without a Re-Entry Permit in order to 'kill' my Non Imm O-A based Permit to stay (due to the for me not needed and recently price-hiked fee for the mandatory Non Imm O-A Health Insurance). 

I returned Visa Exempt and applied 1.5 week after my return for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement) at my SiSaKet office.  A smooth, easy and friendly process.

Obviously there was the 'under consideration period' for my 90-day Non Imm O Visa application, and I had to return to the SiSaKet Imm Office on the designated date 2 weeks after my application to get the actual Div HQ approved Permit to stay in my Passport. 

The DIFFERENCE with the process that my friend went through (different Imm Office) was twofold:

#1 - Even though he applied for reason of RETIREMENT he got a visit from Immigration at his house and pictures were taken outside and inside the house;

#2 - Contrary to my 'come back in 2 weeks' under consideration period, he got an 'Under Consideration' stamp in his Passport for the entire 90-days period of his O-Visa!    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What I don't understand is why not do the thing that would cause you the least trouble if they both require the same investment in time and effort?

What I don't understand is you not understanding.

Obtaining a non O at a consulate eg Vientiane would require overnight stay. Accommodation etc

Also require an appointment.

A border bounce and visa exempt enter and dealing with Thai immigration office preferred by MANY.

now on ignore..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What I don't understand is why not do the thing that would cause you the least trouble if they both require the same investment in time and effort? 

If that were the case 'same investment in time and effort' there would be no reason to address the issue.

But in the Chiang-Rai case the guy lives close to the Mae Sai border-crossing, so a completely legal border-bounce there would take him less than half a day.  But having to apply at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (+800 km from where he lives) is hardly the same time and effort...

On 6/4/2023 at 8:58 AM, Red Phoenix said:

Here the post with his experience at the ROI-ET Imm Office

if you want visa here big problems have to provide photos of home with woman (...)

LOL. For 'Retirement'?? And if I don't have a woman; am I supposed to hire a freelancer to pose with me?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

We are not talking about illegal immigrants.  Thailand allows many nationalities to enter the country VisaExempt.  And when you are granted your VisaExempt entry, the Permit to stay stamped in your passport is proof that you did meet the requirements.

Or are you trying to dispute that fact...

Good distortion.

Now tell us how many countries allow visa status conversion of visa exempt entry.

If people want things in Thailand to be as good as their nanny state, shouldn't that also apply to visa policy.

Of course hypocrites want everything to suit their own point of view.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I would.

I guess due to the fact that citizens from 64+ countries can enter Thailand without a visa.

Another classic deliberate misinterpretation.

It doesn't really matter what you or anyone else thinks, entering Thailand visa exempt with the intention of staying long term is a deliberate circumvention of established visa conventions.

Why the Thai government allows it to continue is anyone's guess, but if done away with there would be less whinging and no rogue offices.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 6/4/2023 at 2:11 PM, NoDisplayName said:

I know, we think the IO should do it.....and they probably should.  But is this a "should" or a "must"?

The guy is in Thailand now, he has a non-O-A now.  He's not applying for a change of visa now, he's telling the IO he wants to go out, kill the O-A, then come back on a visa waiver and apply for an O.  Is this an absolute right, or something up to the discretion of the IO?

He's going to have to leave the country regardless in order to change to a non-O. Mae Sai would be convenient, Vientiene not so much.   IO sees it as "you gotta leave anyway...........so get the proper visa before you return."

Vientiene was VERY convenient and fast. I got my “O visa” with minimal hassle. Even got extra help from the Laotian driver who had done hundreds of these kinds of applications. I wish I had gotten his name. He was extremely efficient.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Why the Thai government allows it to continue is anyone's guess

, but if done away with there would be less whinging and no rogue offices

What don't you understand.

There are ~ 75 immigration offices in Thailand. 

This thread refers to couple of rogue officers refusing the legal process. The rest of the offices process the "conversion" from visa exempt to non O.

One take out from your post it ...

"Why the Thai government allows it to continue is anyone's guess"

Talk about shoot yourself in the foot.

You are endorsing that Thai gov supports it.

Quite funny posts from you.

Not surprised. 

Then complain that this should not be possible.

I posted earlier the government rules on this.

Specifically TM86 & 87.

Please do some research. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Talk about shoot yourself in the foot.

You are endorsing that Thai gov supports it.

Quite funny posts from you.

Not surprised. 

Highlights your profound ability to think you know what has posted, rather than bother to read what gets said. A trait displayed by previous self appointed gurus.