Pita shares cast a pall over historic May 14th Election, fears that the results may be nullified by a court

webfact

4 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

And let me show your my response again ????

I can't spend hours trying to explain things to you.  You showing me the picture just shows how clueless you are about thing I note again if it isn't black and white explain to you like a child you don't get it. 

What I see is a guy light is on but no one is home.  

image.jpeg.b6a5a162b138352c506d9b18e15282ea.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

Thaksin's great-grandfather, Seng Saekhu, was an immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong, China, who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Saekhu, was born in Chanthaburi in 1890 and married a local named Saeng Samana. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra in 1938 because of the country's anti-Chinese movement, and the rest of the family also adopted it.[9]

100% Thai? I guess you don't have to be 100% Thai as you said.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Thaksin's great-grandfather, Seng Saekhu, was an immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong, China, who arrived in Siam in the my and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Saekhu, was born in Chanthaburi in 1890 and married a local named Saeng Samana. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra in 1938 because of the country's anti-Chinese movement, and the rest of the family also adopted it.[9]

You get worse by the minute  I fully know what was meant from the picture I also know his history but I'm not going to explain the meaning of 100% Thai let say you are  better off staying the way you are.  I hope you get that because forum rules don't allow me to use a more direct word to describe you. I was spot on with my assumptions about you nothing to retract.  Bye! ????

Edited by thailand49
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

You get worse by the minute  I fully know what was meant from the picture I also know his history but I'm not going to explain the meaning of 100% Thai let say you are  better off staying the way you are.  I hope you get that because forum rules don't allow me to use a more direct word to describe you. I was spot on with my assumptions about you nothing to retract.  Bye! ????

Been a pleasure. You are a very nice person to chat with. Enjoy your evening. Glad also you support Pita for the next PM and the ousting of the military buffoons along with the great majority of this country and this forum.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Thaksin's great-grandfather, Seng Saekhu, was an immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong, China, who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Saekhu, was born in Chanthaburi in 1890 and married a local named Saeng Samana. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra in 1938 because of the country's anti-Chinese movement, and the rest of the family also adopted it.[9]

Yes. This 100% Thai [whatever that is] tends to be a bit confusing for many. 

I know and know of a boat load of folks here - and not one can claim a majority of a Thai bloodline. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Yes. This 100% Thai [whatever that is] tends to be a bit confusing for many. 

I know and know of a boat load of folks here - and not one can claim a majority of a Thai bloodline. 

Thaksin is 3rd generation immigrant, so 100% Thai

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The current situation is a headache for the establishment:

- no government alternative if they dissolve MF. They cannot play again what they did in 2008 with BJT in order to put Abhisit into power. The only way would be an alliance with Thaksin, which is surely not what the establishment would have dreamed of. The fox in the hen house.

- no one to hand them flowers any more in Bangkok,

- no easy way to counter protests. The people who would protest in Bangkok are the children of the few remaining supporters of the establishment (the remains of the ones who supported Suthep and the coups). They simply cannot fire at them

- There are de facto two armies. The one in Bangkok is directly under royal command, and the other outside Bangkok is under the army chief and the generals. Do people usually support other people who have not been historically so supportive?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

You pretend to be knowledgeable about this.

Well, here is a surprise for you.

ITV shares have been suspended from trading since July 24 2014, and suspended shares obviously can't be sold.

https://thailand.postsen.com/live-style/135458/Anupong-points-out-that-ITV-has-gone-out-of-business-The-Stock-Exchange-of-Thailand-has-removed-the-stock-since-July-24-2014-now-maintaining-the-status-to-sue-the.html

But what is more. ITV was owned for 53% by Shin Corp, that names rings a bell to you? And now is actually owned by the Thai government

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/business/worldbusiness/27iht-itv.4734543.html

Very interesting insight, appreciated. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Billybaroo said:

Drip, drip, drip to the inevitable. Nullify the election, bar Pita from running for office and the return of the old guard. 

Unless PT comes to his defence and that of MFP, another election will surprise a lot for teh old guard inlcuding MR T.

The people spoke and they spoke fairly loudly.  Any attempt to remove or nullify this election will look bad on the military and the old guard as people will see their fear.

The same goes for the senate.

In all honesty, I think that the nullification will be a blessing for MFP or whatever the name of the new party is as it will probably end in them getting the mandate that PT thought they would get.  This would pave the way for changes to Lese Majeste laws. more breweries, cannabis returned to its old status and the military losing a lot of its power and support as well as finances.

Not a good move but hey what do we know.

• Like 1

Pita 'has sold iTV shares - Move Forward Party (MFP) leader Pita Limjaroenrat has reportedly sold the shares he held in a media company in the hope of keeping his bid to become Thailand’s next prime minister alive.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1665850685076938752

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mark131v said:

You really need to wake up and smell the coffee, your junta buddies are as bent as a nine bob note so anything they, the judiciary, NACC, RTP, Military touch is utterly bent. They can't be trusted and there is no justice so your argument is badly flawed 

do you remember the convicted international drug dealer politician?

do you remember the watch saga?

do you remember Prayut's brothers dodgy building works?

do you remember the junta disallowing any looking into their financial affairs?

do you remember 250 bought and paid for senators?

you talk about Pita and co breaking rules but you close your eyes to the fact the dinosaurs are the absolute epitome of the endemic corruption that has hamstrung Thailand for decades

there is no real rule of law everything is bought and paid for by them and you really need to give your head a good wobble if you cannot see that! 

I think the English word is whataboutism. Pita is wrong but look look Prayuths brother....and corruption....

If it is wrong it is wrong, no matter if other brothers also did something wrong.....If others did something wrong, than complain that they don't get punished. You can't rob a bank and as excuse you bring that others did worse and didn't get caught....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, candide said:

The current situation is a headache for the establishment:

- no government alternative if they dissolve MF. They cannot play again what they did in 2008 with BJT in order to put Abhisit into power. The only way would be an alliance with Thaksin, which is surely not what the establishment would have dreamed of. The fox in the hen house.

- no one to hand them flowers any more in Bangkok,

- no easy way to counter protests. The people who would protest in Bangkok are the children of the few remaining supporters of the establishment (the remains of the ones who supported Suthep and the coups). They simply cannot fire at them

- There are de facto two armies. The one in Bangkok is directly under royal command, and the other outside Bangkok is under the army chief and the generals. Do people usually support other people who have not been historically so supportive?

They can build a government with PTP....no problem there...And Thaksin can come home. PTP in power, the red one happy the yellow and army accept it.

Or they can make new elections....MF is already past its peak. PTP would most probably first amd MF second. PTP make the prime minister with or without MF.

9 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Unfortunately, nothing's gonna change - despite all of the dreamy and desperate spewed ideologies, especially from foreign types who pretend to understand the culture and social order. 

The 'ideologies' in regard to my own views, as a 'foreign type', on how I see Thai political & cultural change happening for the best, ie, via MFP, appear to be shared by the 14 million Thais (forgive me if I've got that number wrong) who voted MFP, or by many of those Thais who voted for any other non-junta-aligned parties now in the coalition.

You appear to want change, or at least regret that, in your view, it will never happen, but are rather cynical about those who do want to see it happen, especially 'foreign types'.

Btw, you seem - imo - too quick to flippantly pass judgement on the understanding of Thai culture & social order, of such 'foreign types'.

10 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Been a pleasure. You are a very nice person to chat with. Enjoy your evening. Glad also you support Pita for the next PM and the ousting of the military buffoons along with the great majority of this country and this forum.

"Ditto "

Better yet, why not just call the whole election thingy off and extend good old Prayut's Caretaker status. 

As that's what their plans are anyway. 

Watch. It'll happen.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I disagree, big problem there for PT if they form a government without MF, they have to join the military aligned parties, almost certainly including Pravit.

Parties they claimed were the enemies of democracy. 

That will see an exodus of any progressives like Nattawut, Chaturon Chaisaeng, etc from PT, leaving the party's image in tatters.

You say MF are past their peak.

I would argue on the contrary, PT are fading, they lost 2 constituencies in Chiang Mai, also in Udon. Aligning themselves with the military aligned parties will see them fade further as the electorate realise, as they did with the dissolution of FF, only MF offer any real chance of change in Thailand.

Uh-huh....

So everything seems to be working out and turning for the traditional ruling class [as it always does here]. 

Sneaky manipulation and sleight of hand does have it's moments. 

Imagine that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Far from being past their peak, banning MFP will disenfranchise 14 million or so, and hugely increase MFPs popular base.

Remember what happened when they banned Future Forward?

6 million to 14 million, and lost Bangkok!

how many huge new parties were there in Thailand and most of them went away after a few years......and all the time people believed that it will be huge.

Sure the people who like Marijuana won't vote for them anymore. sure anyone related to military won't vote for them anymore, sure no royalists vote for them anymore. They would still be strong but maybe second behind PTP.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, bannork said:

I disagree, big problem there for PT if they form a government without MF, they have to join the military aligned parties, almost certainly including Pravit.

Parties they claimed were the enemies of democracy. 

That will see an exodus of any progressives like Nattawut, Chaturon Chaisaeng, etc from PT, leaving the party's image in tatters.

You say MF are past their peak.

I would argue on the contrary, PT are fading, they lost 2 constituencies in Chiang Mai, also in Udon. Aligning themselves with the military aligned parties will see them fade further as the electorate realise, as they did with the dissolution of FF, only MF offer any real chance of change in Thailand.

I did not calculate it but PTP+BJ+Dems+Korn+Sudarat+some small one should be over the 250 and than Senators might agree.
And don't underestimate Thaksin, when he has 4 years in power he can do many things

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Far from being past their peak, banning MFP will disenfranchise 14 million or so, and hugely increase MFPs popular base.

Remember what happened when they banned Future Forward?

6 million to 14 million, and lost Bangkok!

Yes but the old guard have convinced themselves that if they get more time they can turn it around and lead the country to fortune and glory.

And who the heck is advising MFP? 

They must of known that this would be a thing, no matter what discussions were had and what was disclosed prior to the election. And the fact that he has sold the shares appears to confirm it's definitely a thing now.

Also, how does this affect Pheu Thai party, if MFP goes down again?

Edited by fondue zoo

On 6/5/2023 at 6:06 AM, SunnyinBangrak said:

Who is Pita blaming for his inability to follow the law? 

Is he blaming anybody?

He should have made this a personal item and given it more attention much earlier. 

But seems it's complicted by the fact the company was closed some time ago and other items.

Regardless, I hope his team are actively on this. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 6/5/2023 at 6:25 AM, hotchilli said:

Fears & possibilities... scaremongering.

Anything for a headline to keep the subject going/live, regardless of whether it's old news, fake news, etc.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:40 AM, brianthainess said:

There are a lot of businesses out there who will not like the new wage hike proposed.

What I can not get my head around is why it is so wrong for Pita to have inherited shares in a defunct media outlet, yet it is OK for the military to have TV and Radio stations. can the Military can explain that one??  

They're the Military, they don't have to explain...

• Sad 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, huangnon said:

He has shares in a defunct media company ITV, that hasn't made a broadcast in over 8 years.

He'd obviously forgot about them, but the weasels will use anything they can get to prevent him obtaining power.

Check back a few posts where it was pointed out that these shares were reported to the appropriate department and cleared as no issue.... 

7 hours ago, h90 said:

They can build a government with PTP....no problem there...And Thaksin can come home. PTP in power, the red one happy the yellow and army accept it.

Or they can make new elections....MF is already past its peak. PTP would most probably first amd MF second. PTP make the prime minister with or without MF.

Well, there are two issues with this scenario:

- the first one is that PT may not accept it, for reasons already evoked by other posters. 

- the second is that a PT-led government is still a nightmare for the establishment, as well as a big loss of face. On top of it, there is no guarantee that Thaksin, after being cleared of charges, would remain quiet and will not start challenging the establishment again.

On top of it, in case of new elections, there is no guarantee that the result will be better for the establishment. Actually, it would likely be worse and the current alliance (whatever the leading party, PT or the new MF with another name) may well this time get 2/3 of seats.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, h90 said:

Sure the people who like Marijuana won't vote for them anymore. sure anyone related to military won't vote for them anymore, sure no royalists vote for them anymore. They would still be strong but maybe second behind PTP.

I couldn't say about the Marijuana enthusiasts, but I doubt if anyone related to the military ( other than the conscripts, or any "royalists", voted for them in the first place.

As I said, their support went from 6 million to 14 million over 4 years, and they swept the board in Bangkok.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1