Foreigners Rounded Up In Surat Thani Crackdown

webfact

2 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Cant believe their was just one from Myanmar. I can take a walk round the back of the apartment and nab a dozen. 

Obviosly they need the cheap workers as they are too enegetic to do labor themselves and have orders to follow the master plan...

sabai sabai...

• Like 2

"........a Russian who overstayed six days but is also facing charges of cryptocurrency fraud amounting to US$72,700 (around 2.5 million baht) and not paying the bills for accommodation and food totalling  66,255 baht."

And so it begins! Expect more of these type of stories in the near future - I don't blame them for running away from the war, but there'll be many Russians running out of money, and not being able to afford to pay their bills. Next step is they turn to crime to enable them to stay here, but I suspect it will be a problem that will not only exist in Thailand!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Good. All the foreigners who fail to follow the rules are the cause of all the problems over the last 10 years or so. 

More like lack of Brown envelopes

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Obviosly they need the cheap workers as they are too enegetic to do labor themselves and have orders to follow the master plan...

sabai sabai...

"they are too enegetic to do labor themselves............"

As for the rest of your post - ????????????

I presume you mean "energetic", but I also think you've picked the wrong word  -  do you not mean "lazy"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not quite. It started under Thaksin...

Yep.

I remember I started actually having to go out of the country to renew my visa instead of just giving the passport to my agent Vinny, or popping into the Wall pub in Silom to get my long term visa done. About 2003 the crackdowns started iirc.

The cheek of it. 

It was so much easier back then. They didn't mind us being here as long as we kept ourselves to ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Henkjan2 said:

Good guys in, bad guys out ...

So right,

22 years I am now in Thailand and I stick to the rules which are no troubles at all.. imo

Once I failed because a job has been delayed and I miscounted that I was due with my Visa extension.

As I realized I was 6 days "over" 

I rushed with my wife to the immigration and told in the most pollite way the story, the Officer smiled and joked that he must lock me in and my wife too... 

And then it went fast...

Bang, Stamp, 1 week extension re-dated for 1800 Baht, pointed to the next desk, retirement visa extenison into the passport...

"careful next time" was all the Officer said to me with a raised finger and we passed him again.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

A post attacking another poster has been removed.  Continue and face a posting suspension.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So far,

Cambodia is easy, stay as long as you like, did need $25 to enter.

Philippines is easier, 30 days on arrival, stay for 3 years.

Vietnam, very easy for Brits, 14 days on arrival.

Laos was easy, did need $25 to enter.

Malaysia really easy, 3 months on arrival.

China was easier than expected, but I did need to apply for $25 VISA in advance.

I don't consider Thailand as easiest in the world for tourists.

Vietnam, very easy for Brits, 14 days on arrival. 30 days in Thailand

Laos was easy, did need $25 to enter.  Free in Thailand

Philippines is easier, 30 days on arrival, stay for 3 years. As long as you keep paying

Cambodia is easy, stay as long as you like, did need $25 to enter.  Not so according to the UK government. You can do the same in Thailand, if you break the rules. At least in Thailand the limit of the fine is 20.000 baht

Tourist visas issued by a Royal Cambodian Embassy abroad may appear to have a longer validity than 1 month. The validity of the visa refers to the time you have to enter Cambodia. The visa is valid for 30 days from the actual date of entry into Cambodia.

You can be fined, detained and deported if you overstay your visa. There is a fine of $10 per day for overstaying the validity of your visa. There is no limit to this fine.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cambodia/entry-requirements

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

When I rent a hotel room in Thailand, I always have to pay upfront.

Depends the grade of your hotel, with hotels like Landmark and Marriott, you book in they "swipe", your card and you pay when you leave. Quite easy to build up a large hotel bill and cancel your card before you leave.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Unless they were knowingly harboring criminals or evading taxes.

If friends come to stay with you, do you first ask to see their passport, check their Visa, then report to immigration? 

What about a girl that sleeps over, do you check she's a Thai citizen, etc.? 

How about motoring offences, do you report pals you see, drink driving, speeding, tax, ins, dl? 

Once you start being a nark, where do you draw the line? 

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

But no explanation 'how'. When I rent a hotel room in Thailand, I always have to pay upfront. Or I pay for an apartment, where staff also insist on punctual payment. How can someone run up a bill of 66,000 baht?

Probably Couldn't Exchange his Roubles ??

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If friends come to stay with you, do you first ask to see their passport, check their Visa, then report to immigration? 

After telling them they are under arrest for "not depositing all their money with Airport Immigration and going straight home again".

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

Just remember - all foreigners - yourself included are on the same iceberg irresepctive of how compliant, lawful and integrated you consider yourself. Worth remembering. 

No, not all foreigners here are the tip of an iceberg that is created by people that don't care about laws. These people create problems for all other foreigners here that follow rules and regulations. The bad thing is that such unlawful people often try to pay Thais so that they can remain undetected as long as they pay. Criminals on both sides...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

There are probably many. My current landlady refuses to do the report, and, I suspect, (at least) another landlord in the past did as well.

When they start issuing fines to Thai landlords that will change.  I booked a room for 8 hours before a Surat Airport flight and the manager was panicked when I said I didn't have my passport and offered him my Thai DL (like I always do when traveling domestic) He said he has had regular visits from IO's and the fine was 10000b for not registering foreigners with their actual passport.    I showed him a photo of my passport and he was visibly relieved.  Because I was sure he must've reported it I had my home landlord do an updated TM 30 after a recent international trip to avoid an issue when doing my recent retirement extension. 

Possibly with all the problems around Europe, war, high inflation and cost of living, young people are eyeing South East Asia as a place to live and work remotely to get away from it, certainly see that trend on YouTube and Tik Tok.