China and Thailand plan joint military cooperation to maintain regional stability

webfact

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Taiwan is not a sovereign country, whether you say that lie once or hundred times.  Most of the UN members recognise only one China including all the western countries. There are a handful of countries recognising Taiwan as independent state, and that recognition was funded by Taiwan. However it appears that recently the Chinese have more cash, so even these countries are jumping ship.

This is how a major war will start in Asia, the Chinese will be goaded on attacking Taiwan by a certain country all of a sudden saying that things have changed and now there are two China states.

Except that China will not be goaded into a war, even though it will almost certainly win. China is playing three dimensional chess while the US is still playing checkers. Anyone that doesn’t see this is only ever capable of playing checkers.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, happysoul said:

US and Thailand had joint military training lately, no ? And the saying goes "my friend is your friend". So could we conclude that US and China are now friends thanks to Thailand ?

I thing I'm missing something here ????

You certainly are missing something.........Cobra Gold 2023:

Malaysia is to participate in this year’s Cobra Gold, the world’s longest running and largest multinational military exercise in Southeast Asia, which is back to full scale after being downsized over the last three years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. -Pic credit to Asian Military Review

............that's probably because you're "new" ????

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sidneybear said:

That's what people forget. The entire world refused to acknowledge Taiwan's sovereignty, but at the same time rush to defend it by supplying arms. Could this be about protecting markets for weapons?

The entire world rushes to supply arms to Taiwan?  Please give us a list of all these countries.  Or maybe just the top ten.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Philippine government ie Ferdinand Marcos Jr. You do know that his father was one of the most corrupt presidents of all time and that his mother possessed over 6,000 pairs of expensive shoes while it’s citizens were eating scraps of leftover KFC?

Wow, you really are behind.  I was talking about the 21st century.

"When Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016, he pledged to shift his country’s foreign policy away from the United States—a long-standing treaty ally—in favor of China and Russia. On his first trip to Beijing that year, Duterte tried to butter up his hosts by proclaiming that it was “time to say goodbye to Washington.” .... Now, just as easily as he flipped one way, he’s flopping the other: His China-friendly policy is effectively over, and he’s doing his best to align the Philippines with the United States again."  https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/02/duterte-china-philippines-united-states-defense-military-geopolitics/

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Are you a Chinese? You do realise that the Taiwanese are actually Chinese right? If not, who are you to think that you know what they want? Oh wait, you’re probably American, thinking you know best.

"who are you to think that you know what they want?"

The way the people of Taiwan vote gives a pretty good idea.

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Except that China will not be goaded into a war, even though it will almost certainly win. China is playing three dimensional chess while the US is still playing checkers. Anyone that doesn’t see this is only ever capable of playing checkers.

Just because it appears that way in your head doesn’t actually make it true. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Thailand should stop purchasing any more arms or fighter jets. Stop supporting the war mongering MIC and invest in infrastructure to improve the country instead. No Asian nation will invade Thailand.

Nope, but som country want to have bases here in a future conflict, guess who? Same country who bombed laos back to stoneage, bombed Cambodia, and continued a war in Vietnam after the French pulled out. Before that they had a peace treathy with Japan in WW2, so they will be in the midle of it again, one or another side. They have start making a decission, the time runs out and most likely they will make stronger ties with China. I doubt anything else

18 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

By threatening to invade the sovereign country of Taiwan?  

I don't think so!

Who says Taiwan is a sovereign state/country? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This is a very good news indeed!

Say goodbye to United States.

We have a big new friend in the East!

"We have a big new friend in the East!".......

Indeed, have you seen how fat Xi Jinping is getting?

Edited by HuskerDo2

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Philippine government ie Ferdinand Marcos Jr. You do know that his father was one of the most corrupt presidents of all time and that his mother possessed over 6,000 pairs of expensive shoes while it’s citizens were eating scraps of leftover KFC?

What can this possibly have to do with this conversation on the thread?

The US has a huge military advantage over China and the Philippines would wipe out the Thai military in a matter of days. The Thai military isn't able to successfully protect a pen of chickens from a fox. The Philippines is allowing the US to reopen several military bases there exactly to keep China in check. Checkmate!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Which means it almost certainly won’t. Nice play on bigging it up though, but China couldn’t win at tiddlywinks. It is militarily inexperienced and any move on Taiwan could quickly see a sunken navy and missiles reigned down on Shanghai etc (if they started bombing Taipei) and huge sanctions courtesy of the West. China could then join best mate Russia in a race to the bottom. If Thailand had any sense they would politely decline. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, happysoul said:

US and Thailand had joint military training lately, no ? And the saying goes "my friend is your friend". So could we conclude that US and China are now friends thanks to Thailand ?

Don't thing too much! ????

14 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

So G are you saying Taiwan is giving up their democracy and fall under the dictatorship rule of China?

Damn right the US wants Taiwan to retain their freedoms something you might know nothing about…

Although the USA getting involved in one's fight against oppression is often the kiss of death!

Is Taiwan a sovereign state?

The Montevideo Convention (1933) defined the 4 requirements for statehood. 

1. A defined territory
  2. A permanent population
  3. A government
  4. The capacity to conduct international relations.

Taiwan satisfies all the Montevideo criteria, additionally, Taiwan has quietly and unequivocally declared itself a sovereign state distinct from China.

Taiwan's recognition as being a sovereign state reminds me of being in my first school at 5 years old and the big bully telling me I couldn't be friends with certain other boys, and if I was then he would beat me up.

There is only one way to ever deal with bullies.

I am constantly amazed how corporations and governments continue to take a self-serving path when it is clearly morally wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, tandor said:

Thailand is a willing partner

Well, the Thai military is.

Thai people (through the representatives they elected a month ago, and who are still waiting to take their placed and the reins) don't seem to get a look in.

Again, the question must be asked, why is a government emphatically rejected a month ago in a General Election still in power and making these decisions?

The answer of course is because they have no intention of relinquishing power. These sorts of decisions burn through the smokescreen of Electoral Commission certification, petitions from "activists" and no doubt soon, court reviews; and reveal exactly what is going on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, happysoul said:

Thailand and the US hold annual military exercises in Thailand called Cobra Gold.....  Yes you are missing something ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Yup, the KMT won so handily that Tsai resigned.

Right, the KMT:

"KMT Chairman Eric Chu celebrated their victory, but said they would also protect Taiwan's freedoms.

"We will insist on defending the Republic of China and protecting democracy and freedom," he told reporters, using Taiwan's official name. "We will also work hard to keep regional peace." "  https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taiwan-votes-local-elections-amid-tensions-with-china-2022-11-26/

When a Taiwan party that proposes reunification with China under CCP rule is elected, let me know.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

A hoax,

China is the only reason there is instability in the region, e.g South china sea, and elsewhere around the world, belt and road debt.

Sigh. The reason there isn’t regional instability in the Western Hemisphere is because there aren’t any Chinese warships sailing in the “international waters” there.

Asia really doesn’t need or want US warships here but unfortunately, still unable to stand up to the big bully. Matter of time though.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"We have a big new friend in the East!".......

Indeed, have you seen how fat Xi Jinping is getting?

Well Winnie-the-Poo does love Honey !  ????

Perhaps they might rename one of these dozen-or-more new artificial islands, being built in the South China Seas, 'Tai-Won' ?  So that the PRC's honour is satisfied, and both countries can continue to live more peacefully, together.  ????

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

Oddly enough I did not claim to invent it, nor did I claim that my father had told me the same thing when I was a child.

I am sure that if you search the internet you will find quite a few example of similar wording, yet nobody seems to claim that they invented it.

Can you indicate to me where I claimed you invented it?  You cant.  Oddly enough, its just deflection.  But, what I did insinuate is that the saying has been twisted from the one I remember as a child.  Maybe try reading it again.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, happysoul said:

my thoughts too, China will be very curious what Thais learned from US training.

Thailand acting like a bargirl, with you one day and back on the market the next day. curious if the US will train with Thailand again to learn what processes China showed them.

• Thumbs Up 2