No rain forecast for most of Thailand in July

webfact

image.png

Despite the fact that it is now the rainy season in Thailand, no rain is forecast for most of July, returning in August. The Royal Irrigation Department has instructed its officials to adjust their water management plans to ensure optimum use of water and to maintain as much as possible in the reservoirs.

According to Thaweesak Thanadachopol, deputy director-general of the Royal Irrigation Department, the total volume of water in Thailand’s four main reservoirs, namely behind the Bhumibol, Pasak Jolasid, Sirikit and Kwae Noi Bumrung Dan dams, is at 45% of full capacity, or 11.301 billion cubic metres, with only 15% at Pasak Jolasid.

Reservoirs, both large and medium-sized, across the country now hold a combined total of 39.869 billion cubic metres of water or an average of 52% of their capacities.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-rain-forecast-for-most-of-thailand-in-july/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

California had a far lower amount of water in their reservoirs after a 2 decade drought yet it was resolved in a few short months after heavy rains and now they have more water than possibly ever. No need to worry. Things seems to eventually work out with Mother Nature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

California had a far lower amount of water in their reservoirs after a 2 decade drought yet it was resolved in a few short months after heavy rains and now they have more water than possibly ever. No need to worry. Things seems to eventually work out with Mother Nature.

Unless Thailand has a shortage of reservoirs to sustain the whole country during the summer months.

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Unless Thailand has a shortage of reservoirs to sustain the whole country during the summer months.

There were many shortages of water warnings and low reservoirs pre-Covid, alleviated during lockdown as there was nobody here flushing raincoats into the bay. Was anything done to improve this likelihood, was the lake dug out a bit?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

Down here south of Hua Hin the governments been adding more water storage areas alongside Hwy 4 and filling them up as fast as they can. It's the first time I have also had my well and storage tank run low. Had to turn off the pump and have a truck make a delivery last week.  When I asked why I was told they were pumping the aquifers to get water for folks in HH who were out.  Need that rain, had a heavy day yesterday, water still pooled over my lawn in spots. If nothing in July, we'll then my lawn will have to go brown as I will turn the sprinklers on only intermittently. Water for the pool and home use is more important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Down here south of Hua Hin the governments been adding more water storage areas alongside Hwy 4 and filling them up as fast as they can. It's the first time I have also had my well and storage tank run low. Had to turn off the pump and have a truck make a delivery last week.  When I asked why I was told they were pumping the aquifers to get water for folks in HH who were out.  Need that rain, had a heavy day yesterday, water still pooled over my lawn in spots. If nothing in July, we'll then my lawn will have to go brown as I will turn the sprinklers on only intermittently. Water for the pool and home use is more important.

Simply paint the lawn green. They do this in California. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

You neglect to mention how much agriculture had to be curtailed due to lack of water. "The water wars" where farmers and residents fought over who could have the water. Yes its over, yes its good now, but there were a lot of bad years. I can't see the Thai's rationing water the way California had to. 

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Not good news at all.

Costing me a fortune to keep the lawn and gardens watered.

I have this fight with my Thai missus all the time. She's a lawn lover.

I have nothing against lawns, but they belong in geographical zones where they can thrive organically. 

I would love to have a tropical ground cover, but here we are trying to replicate New Zealand in the Golden Triangle. ????

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I have this fight with my Thai missus all the time. She's a lawn lover.

I have nothing against lawns, but they belong in geographical zones where they can thrive organically. 

I would love to have a tropical ground cover, but here we are trying to replicate New Zealand in the Golden Triangle. ????

Whilst I love my lawn (meh at gardens, they are the misso's thing)..... I'd really like to remove lawn and replace with swimming pool.

Misso says NO.

Don't know where most of Thailand is, but it's rained everywhere we've been recently, while out & about, and also at home/PKK.

That would be; Surat Thani, Phang-Nga, Phuket & Chumphon.  Few riverside accommodations, and rivers running high, as not dry bank between river level & vegetation. 

It's rained every day at home, and why we waited to leave, so garden would be watered.   Easy to tell be the production peaks & valley in the solar system's app graph.

Same drought/food warnings almost yearly, and yet to run out of water anywhere we've lived or visited in TH.

• Like 1

Don't know where most of Thailand is, but it's rained everywhere we've been recently, while out & about, and also at home/PKK.

That would be; Surat Thani, Phang-Nga, Phuket & Chumphon.  Few riverside accommodations, and rivers running high, as not dry bank between river level & vegetation. 

It's rained every day at home, and why we waited to leave, so garden would be watered.   Easy to tell be the production peaks & valley in the solar system's app graph.

Same drought/food warnings almost yearly, and yet to run out of water anywhere we've lived or visited in TH.

EDIT ... dog needed to P, and it's pissin' down rain now...Chumphon.

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not in Bangkok. A couple of storms but no more than 45 minutes to an hour of rain. Pretty unusual this late in the season.