Tourism promotion: TCT urges government to market Thailand as prime retiree destination

webfact

19 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

And with perfect beaureaucratic logic, you can expect the cost of your annual extension "living expenses fund" of which they already sequester half in perpetuity,  to skyrocket, along with a few more layers of paper tyranny at the local IO.

I doubt this is going to be anything to cheer about! 

To be sure.....always diddling with the already overloaded bureaucracy/cost of "resident" visas. Just another justification to muck with the the programs further. 

More intelligent and wiser old hands have never felt the need to play the game with the non-O types * very life restrictive. There are a couple of alternative avenues for foreign residents to take advantage, as they've been in place forever. Know quite a few of these selective types that aren't harnessed with the dreaded retirement, marriage, family or business long term visas. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

To be sure.....always diddling with the already overloaded bureaucracy/cost of "resident" visas. Just another justification to muck with the the programs further. 

More intelligent and wiser old hands have never felt the need to play the game with the non-O types * very life restrictive. There are a couple of alternative avenues for foreign residents to take advantage, as they've been in place forever. Know quite a few of these selective types that aren't harnessed with the dreaded retirement, marriage, family or business long term visas. 

The only ones I'm aware of are Thai residency, or Visit Thai Family Multi entry. Both are not freely available to all comers. The latter obviobviously requires the commitment to a family. 

The former, an income that's not a pension, and I think that requires a marriage to a Thai as well, from memory. 

If there were another avenue widely available to everyone, it would be no secret. 

• Like 1

With all the “Bad foreigners” news we get from the government and immigration, why would anyone doing their research choose Thailand. Not to mention all the hoops you have to jump through and changing laws. They would certainly have to go back to the good old days when they welcomed us and made it easier to stay and live. Let’s hope the new government can do this. Otherwise it’s just another pipe dream. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

in what else should they be interested in?

Well they should be interested in the quality of what is being offered, accommodation, entertainment etc,  to get folk to return. If people get ripped off, they won't come back?

If they want quality high spending tourists they need to offer high quality in return?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Quite, it seems the ONLY thing they are interested in is money?????

Yes there's absolutely nothing for free, consider Panama, where they throw in the usual pensioner kindnesses like subsidised public transport etc. 

I'm not asking for unwarranted freebies, it just compared to anywhere else we're breathing ATMs to them and they crow about this in their PR like it's a BENEFIT? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

No doubt, there are moronic IOs, different "requirements" in different provinces and many foreigners had bad experiences with the crazy burocracy.

But let's be realistic: Thailand still is one of the most easy countries to retire to, especially for people on the lower range of income.

The 800/400k bank thing has not changed since ages.

Back to the "good old days", when people, who did not qualify for a correct visa or a retirement extension made monthly border runs for years? Would one of us want to have those people living in our home countries?

I think, for each one who reports here about problems with IO, there's another one doing his yearly extensions without problems, but that usually will not be posted.

I stay here a long time now and never ever had any problem with visa and - later - extensions. Some IOs were more polite, others less.

My decision to leave Thailand when my son is old enough to study abroad comes not from bad IOs or the feeling "they don't want us", but from the political situation, the pollution, environmental problems and a climate, that fits less for me than in earlier years.

I'm still grateful to Thailand and it's people for the very good time I had and still have here.

Most of us still have options beyond going "home" there is The Philippines.

Thailand IMO is far more developed, but it's not impossible to be happy there. 

The biggest problem for me here is Immigration. 

Yes brother, you said it's easy for you.

But WHY do we need to deal with it at all? 

We are retired, most of us cause no problems, we are not a significant source of national income at all, but we still contribute significantly in our small hometown economy. We maybe spend at least 4x the average Thai working family minimum. 

I would be happy to still pay 2K a year for my extension, but just make it online! 

Scrap all this BS of signed copies in blue ink!

Photographs, stupid stamps wasting space, this is immigration procedure from my childhood in the west in the middle of LAST CENTURY let it all be in the SYSTEM!

And just let us live in peace.  

The best solution would be to get a one time retirement visa and done!

But if they must hassle us then make it all digital. 

Rant over. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How about after 5 years of staying here permanently give us free residency.

No more visa's no more 90 day reporting rubbish.

It's only going to get worse. It's already as bad as China and the screws are tightening. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1