Are you actually hungry ? Habit or need ?

The Cobra

Both, obviously when hungry, I'll eat, but will eat also, just for the enjoyment of it.

I've cut back on the boredom or enjoyment eating, or should say, tried to merge the 2, hungry & enjoyment eating at the same time.

The non essential eating doesn't burn off like it use to, so need to pay attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The Cobra said:

I switched to just eating when I was hungry and as a result lost over 20kg. I eat whatever I want not to excess and the weight fell off just by making that simple change.

I lost all appetite 6-12 months back.

I have to force myself to eat 3x a day or I lose weight very quickly.

I frequently forget to eat as I'm never hungry.

• Like 2

I stopped eating breakfast years ago.  I never feel hungry in the morning. 

These days I also stopped snacking. 

A typical day I'll eat at about 1om a bowl of noodles. 

Then I'll eat again. At about 8 or 8 pm with a normal farang meal like pie and chips or Indian curry. 

That's it. Also no sugary drinks or alcohol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

I only eat when I am hungry. Most of the time that means a big breakfast and then maybe something in the afternoon - whenever I am hungry.

That works fine when my gf is up country.

But when she is with me: Morning: I am hungry. Lunch: I am hungry. Evening: I am hungry.

Worst case is when I am somewhere in a meeting with Thais and the meeting isn't over yet at 12:03. Big problem! Everybody is starving. 

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Sugar and carbs create false hunger while providing little to no satiety. Its a vicious cycle

Sugar and carbs are great, if i have a fruit smoothy i feel full for hours.

Combo of sugar and fat is perfect to get fat, ice cream, pastries, chocolate, all that junk stuff

• Like 1

I have a couple of coffees in the ???? 

Toasted roll for lunch main meal in the evening fried chicken boiled potatoes gravy fried egg ect????

Wife is a good cook 

Now starting next week going on a diet put on to much weight have my hospital appointment in July need to lose a few kilos ????

I am out walking in the afternoon as well 

• Like 1

I actually don’t know what it means to be hungry. All in my family have a nerve missing in the stomach which is meant to send a message to the brain that it’s hungry. So, I can go days without eating and feel nothing, I only eat because I know I should eat. I’m 10 stone….same as I was in 1968. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sugar and carbs are great, if i have a fruit smoothy i feel full for hours.

Combo of sugar and fat is perfect to get fat, ice cream, pastries, chocolate, all that junk stuff

Sugar spikes insulin. Insulin spikes make you hungry.

Hunger and cravings are a frustrating side-effect of high blood sugar levels. It can also be confusing: if there’s so much excess sugar in your bloodstream, why are your body and your brain craving more food?

Here, we’ll look at why high blood sugars often come with cravings and what you can do about it.

https://www.diabetesfoodhub.org/articles/high-blood-sugar-and-hunger.html

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Hunger and cravings are a frustrating side-effect of high blood sugar levels. It can also be confusing: if there’s so much excess sugar in your bloodstream, why are your body and your brain craving more food?

Here, we’ll look at why high blood sugars often come with cravings and what you can do about it.

https://www.diabetesfoodhub.org/articles/high-blood-sugar-and-hunger.html

Works for me, try a fruit smoothy with added sugar if needed and tell me if you feel hungry after, i certainly don't 

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

2 meals a day

But I try to cut out processed carbs, which make you feel hungry every couple of hours

10am, 4pm and 8pm. 4pm a large meal, the other two just snacks.

6ft tall, 76Ks weight.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes I do believe that we tend to eat out of habit. 'Breakfast, dinner and tea' was the old forces' maxim. In my day, and I believe it is still true, breakfast was compulsory.

When I came to live here I began to gain weight, which disturbed me as it had never been a problem with me before then. After some research and observation I've now concluded that eating heavy meals in the evening was not conducive to good health.

I now practice intermittent fasting. I still eat 3 meals per day but do not eat at all after 6pm and for at least 12 hours, often longer than that. With a corresponding increase in exercise I've now lost 20kg and I'm feeling much fitter and healthier,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Works for me, try a fruit smoothy with added sugar if needed and tell me if you feel hungry after, i certainly don't 

The science is that everyone will. I don't drink fruit juices incl smoothies, they are basically on the sugar sh*t list. All dieticians will advise cutting sugar out of the diet these days.

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes I do believe that we tend to eat out of habit. 'Breakfast, dinner and tea' was the old forces' maxim. In my day, and I believe it is still true, breakfast was compulsory.

When I came to live here I began to gain weight, which disturbed me as it had never been a problem with me before then. After some research and observation I've now concluded that eating heavy meals in the evening was not conducive to good health.

I now practice intermittent fasting. I still eat 3 meals per day but do not eat at all after 6pm and for at least 12 hours, often longer than that. With a corresponding increase in exercise I've now lost 20kg and I'm feeling much fitter and healthier,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

most foods that cause high sugar spikes seem to be unhealthy.

fruit may possibly perhaps be an exception.

i believe fruit is healthy, in spite of causing sugar spikes. 

do i have proof / reputable sources / a link?

no, i do not.

most experts would disagree with that.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

most foods that cause high sugar spikes seem to be unhealthy.

fruit seems to be the exception. i believe fruit is healthy, in spite of causing sugar spikes. 

do i have proof / reputable sources / a link?

no, i do not.

most experts would disagree with that.

Consuming fruits that are low on the glycemic index is beneficial in managing Type 2 diabetes and may lower your risk for heart disease and high blood pressure, according to a study published in "Diabetologia" in February 2011. Most fruits won't spike your blood glucose and insulin levels if you eat them in the recommended serving size, which provides 15 grams of carbohydrates.

https://www.weekand.com/healthy-living/article/healthy-fruit-options-wont-spike-insulin-18012959.php

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/fruit-diabetes

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Consuming fruits that are low on the glycemic index is beneficial in managing Type 2 diabetes

I am aware that most doctors will tell people to avoid high glycemic fruit and this is based on countless studies.

But I don't. 

For one thing, fruit does not appear to cause weight gain, as do other high glycemic foods.

If I have health issues, I guess I'll look into cutting out the high glycemic fruit. 

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I am aware that most doctors will tell people to avoid high glycemic fruit and this is based on countless studies.

But I don't. 

For one thing, fruit does not appear to cause weight gain, as do other high glycemic foods.

If I have health issues, I guess I'll look into cutting out the high glycemic fruit.

I eat all fruit in moderation. I've read that the recommended levels are 2 or 3 pieces a day minimum. One of the above websites states that only watermelon and over ripe bananas are high glycemic load. Another unlinked site adds grapes to that list.

A good way to eat fruit is after a protein shake or high protein meal as the protein inhibits insulin spikes. Also, go for a walk immediately after consuming the fruit. And resistance training a couple of times a week.

A dietician told me that "if it's white, don't eat it".

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

A good way to eat fruit is after a protein shake or high protein meal as the protein inhibits insulin spikes.

one doctor pointed out that if you are metabolically healthy, then insulin spikes will not cause problems.

but yes, i eat fruit generally after a high protein meal.

i'm eating 2 bananas a day because they are loaded with potassium and fairly high in magnesium. 

not sure if it's a good idea, but weight is fine despite not being very physically active for a while. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The science is that everyone will. I don't drink fruit juices incl smoothies, they are basically on the sugar sh*t list. All dieticians will advise cutting sugar out of the diet these days.

sugar is basically carbs, carbs are fine unless someone is carb phobic, of course not to excess