Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So how,s the person your supposedly taking care of to get the 'carers pension' faring? 

She’s great thanks. She lives locally so I’m always close-by …as a good carer should be!

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

"The 2 year jail term is a bummer for anyone wanting it, i.e. 2 years before they depart, or 2 years after they returned as a foreign resident, that said, if one did it right, they could probably re-coupe the 2 years worth of outlay, i.e. what it would cost them to get it, back in 1 -1.5 years at the most, but would have to be frugal during that jail term, so it's still worth it in the long run". 

The below is being frugal in my opinion and is pretty much reality for me.

Why describe it as a jail term? It's not.

Naturally it depends on your circumstances and how you want to live during that 2 year "jail term", don't get me wrong, Sydney is a pretty place, providing you have the $'s to live there and the time to see her beauty, allow me to provide you with my example of how I see my 2 year "jail term":

I live here in Thailand with my young family in a big modern house with high ceilings and lots of windows providing natural light, it has all the comforts that I could NEVER afford to buy or build back in Sydney, e.g. upwards of a million $'s to build in Sydney, then you need the same and more for a decent block of land to build it on, it is also debt free, has no neighbours around it, so it is very very private and very very quite, whereas in Sydney you would have to drive hours out, i.e. bush and fork out at least 2 mil for the same place vs say $150k AUS here.

I have done my research going back to Sydney for me alone, i.e. being away from my family which I will dread as we have been together for 17 years, kids in high school.

A one bedroom unit of a modern nature within a 15km radius of Sydney would cost me $600 per week (13,500 baht) applying 22.50 baht to the $, that's the starting rate, i.e. unless I want to live in a red texture brick 1960's low rise building full of those small German cockroaches and noisy neighbours, say $450 per week (10,125 baht), (no thanks).

I'm not a snob, but at this stage of my life, comforts are important, that said, I would need to work and earn at least $30 an hour x 40 hours per week x 52 weeks = $62,400 less say $12,000 tax & 2% Medicare levy combined which would leave me about $50,400 - $31,200 rent = $19,200/52 week = $369 per week to survive on, not a great deal, but if you don't use a car you save on those expenses, so the left over is about the same as what you would get from Jobseeker Allowance (Dole) and rental assistance, however, then you have to pay for you rent from that, so the Jobseeker allowance is not an option for most, and I wouldn't look at renting a room either.

After retiring 8 year ago and relocating here, going back just based on the cost of living would be a jail term, meaning I would have to work to survive, whereas here I haven't for the past 8 years, and what are ones chances of getting a job at 65 after not having worked for 8 years, regardless of having 2 degrees.

The above said, previously on a 6 figure salary to what I used to pay in tax compared to the $62,400 that I would be earning working would be a downer, but I would so as to keep me busy during that 2 year jail term, Coles, Woolworth's stacking shelves at night would be the preferred as I wouldn't want to put up with the public, as multiculturalism in Sydney for me doesn't work, not racist, just stating my point of view as I prefer seeing one race here, warts and all, nowhere is perfect, unless you like the eastern suburbs :stoner:.

As for taking the wife and kids who all have Australian Citizenships would add to that cost and also mean we would have to stay longer for them to complete their HSC, because two years is not an option for them, it's either all in or nothing.   

It's what you make of it and you can go abroad and return to Oz several times in the 2 years and the time abroad doesn't intereupt building the 2 years period.

I believe you are mistaken, you cannot go overseas several times in 2 years as you suggest, and if you are going to quote this, you really should back it up with some link (respectfully). Below is copy from the legislation, plus the link itself. 

Payment may be suspended for short overseas absences during the 2-year period and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period).

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Love your positive post ????

I guess you have to take into account also that some may not have the finances to come back especially to Sydney,they may not have worked in the past or saved up.

So if they come back to Australia say at age 65 I think it's the dole they can only claim for that 2 year period ? 

I was just talking to a friend last night who was at a Centrelink office up at Woy Woy and he was saying there was more young people there to claim unemployment benefits than old people so not everyone will have enough for their future , 

"So if they come back to Australia say at age 65 I think it's the dole they can only claim for that 2 year period ? "

You can apply for the OAP the day you return to Australia. It's now processed by the C'link computers in Canberra. Not processed at local C'link offices and local offices can't interfere with the processing. But local C'link office can tell you what progress is being made.

I was lucky I applied at a time when the number of applications was down and I got approved in 17 days. Backpay in the bank next day.

However I'm aware of another guy who returned and tried to play games with C'link. Tried to insist local C'link office process his application. Not possible, and he only gave Canberra part answers to their requests for more details, meaning more questions. took 3 months to get final approval. He got 3 months backpay.

If you're renting you must give C'link copies of rental agreements etc., as part of the proof that you are 're-establishing a home in Oz'. From these documents C'link automatically calculate if you are entitled to 'Rent Assistance RA'. The RA entitlement kicks in fairly readily and if the RA is approved it starts with the OAP backpay payment. No need to make any separate application for the RA.

- Can apply for the OAP on the day you arrive in Oz. Or later.

- Building the 2 years starts from the day you physically arrive in OZ. The 2 years doesn't start from the day you apply for the OAP.

Don't hesitate to call the toll free C'link international number to ask about other benefits etc. But do note, as with many gov't agencies nowadays all calls are recorded so be careful what you say. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your circumstances are the exception and not of the broader seeking to return for the OAP.

Nothing exceptional about housesitting, anyone can do it.

I had read numerous posts from AN members on here doing housesitting for their 2 year OAP sentence. I had never done it before whilst living in Australia and it was via information obtained from this site, whilst living in Thailand, that I decided to give it a try. In fact, I secured my first 6 housesit bookings using just emails and video calls whilst still living in Thailand before going back to Aus to start my 2 year detention.

Obtaining the carer's pension wasn't too hard either. I had originally applied for the dole but didn't like all the time it involved hence the carer's solution - which BTW, is brilliant!

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Naturally it depends on your circumstances and how you want to live during that 2 year "jail term", don't get me wrong, Sydney is a pretty place, providing you have the $'s to live there and the time to see her beauty, allow me to provide you with my example of how I see my 2 year "jail term":

I live here in Thailand with my young family in a big modern house with high ceilings and lots of windows providing natural light, it has all the comforts that I could NEVER afford to buy or build back in Sydney, e.g. upwards of a million $'s to build in Sydney, then you need the same and more for a decent block of land to build it on, it is also debt free, has no neighbours around it, so it is very very private and very very quite, whereas in Sydney you would have to drive hours out, i.e. bush and fork out at least 2 mil for the same place vs say $150k AUS here.

I have done my research going back to Sydney for me alone, i.e. being away from my family which I will dread as we have been together for 17 years, kids in high school.

A one bedroom unit of a modern nature within a 15km radius of Sydney would cost me $600 per week (13,500 baht) applying 22.50 baht to the $, that's the starting rate, i.e. unless I want to live in a red texture brick 1960's low rise building full of those small German cockroaches and noisy neighbours, say $450 per week (10,125 baht), (no thanks).

I'm not a snob, but at this stage of my life, comforts are important, that said, I would need to work and earn at least $30 an hour x 40 hours per week x 52 weeks = $62,400 less say $12,000 tax & 2% Medicare levy combined which would leave me about $50,400 - $31,200 rent = $19,200/52 week = $369 per week to survive on, not a great deal, but if you don't use a car you save on those expenses, so the left over is about the same as what you would get from Jobseeker Allowance (Dole) and rental assistance, however, then you have to pay for you rent from that, so the Jobseeker allowance is not an option for most, and I wouldn't look at renting a room either.

After retiring 8 year ago and relocating here, going back just based on the cost of living would be a jail term, meaning I would have to work to survive, whereas here I haven't for the past 8 years, and what are ones chances of getting a job at 65 after not having worked for 8 years, regardless of having 2 degrees.

The above said, previously on a 6 figure salary to what I used to pay in tax compared to the $62,400 that I would be earning working would be a downer, but I would so as to keep me busy during that 2 year jail term, Coles, Woolworth's stacking shelves at night would be the preferred as I wouldn't want to put up with the public, as multiculturalism in Sydney for me doesn't work, not racist, just stating my point of view as I prefer seeing one race here, warts and all, nowhere is perfect, unless you like the eastern suburbs :stoner:.

As for taking the wife and kids who all have Australian Citizenships would add to that cost and also mean we would have to stay longer for them to complete their HSC, because two years is not an option for them, it's either all in or nothing.   

I believe you are mistaken, you cannot go overseas several times in 2 years as you suggest, and if you are going to quote this, you really should back it up with some link (respectfully). Below is copy from the legislation, plus the link itself. 

Payment may be suspended for short overseas absences during the 2-year period and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period).

"I believe you are mistaken, you cannot go overseas several times in 2 years as you suggest, and if you are going to quote this, you really should back it up with some link (respectfully). Below is copy from the legislation, plus the link itself. " 

I'm not mistaken.

When in Oz I called the toll free C'link 'older aussies line' and they confirmed it's true. This exact point has been covered many times before on ThaiVisa/AseanNow and many others people have confirmed it's true from their own experience.

Anybody can call the C'link International toll free number and ask. But always be careful what you say / reveal. As with many gov't agencies nowadays all calls are recorded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Can I suggest you call the C'link international toll free number and discuss any/all of your points above.

The C'link phone staff are polite, good listeners, focused and they give clear answers.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

Not hell for me as well. 
I’m presently here serving my 2 years doing housesitting. I pay nothing for rent, electricity, internet, Netflix, Kayo, Foxtel etc. Also get to live at some amazing waterfront houses, all in a capital city (Sydney) not in some 2 horse country town or remote farmhouse. I only accept positions in the Eastern Suburbs, Sutherland Shire or Northern Beaches, never West. 
Last house was for 3 1/2 months, next house is for 4 months so I’m not continuously having to move. Some houses have a pet, some have none. Next house, I mean mansion (4 months stay) just want me to keep their pool clean and collect the mail. 

Some owners let me use their boats and JetSkis (I have the necessary licenses). Some owners leave cupboard loads of fresh food, snacks, fine wine etc for me to consume. Some owners give me gift vouchers. One owner who is moving to north offered to fly me there and back next year. Almost every owner has me booked in again next year. 

I’m collecting the Carer’s pension ($1,250 per fortnight) for the entire 2 years so I expect to save a total of $A52,000 whilst here!
I get free car rego each year and pay just $2.50 to travel all day on buses, trains, trams and harbour ferries. Doctors appointments cost nothing and pharmacy prescriptions apparently cost only about $8.00 if on the PBS list. 
Every owner lets my Thai GF (medical professional) stay with me in their home (after I show them her AU tourist visa and her medical employment accreditation) so I fly her to see me every 3 months. We have 3 video calls every day without fail so I’m never lonely.  
It’s great having a 2 year break from the heat and humidity of Thailand and I love going to beaches here where, on a warm summer’s day, it’s cool, refreshing on-shore breezes and clean, cool, life-guarded, deep ocean water and not the ridiculously shallow and warm water beaches with uncomfortable, humid breezes that i usually encounter in Thailand. 

These 2 years are the best time of my (& my GFs!) life. 

So your a house sitter

Have you tried Mount Druitt?

You could add to your resume that you take on challenging situations and like to meet interesting people ????

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Also forgot to mention that nearly all owners refer me to their friends and relatives etc. 

Below shows a recent referral offer of a Vaucluse (waterfront mansion apparently) that I had to knock back as I’m booked for 6 weeks at a Neutral Bay condo overlooking Sydney Harbour at that time. The Thai GF is counting the days until that one!

IMG_7320.jpeg

IMG_7321.jpeg

Love your posts mate. 

???? they bring positive energy to the forum instead of all the negative, great stuff and obviously you are a fantastic person for them to ask for you !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the idea that if I do go back (in 5-7 years time) I would long term rent a caravan / cabin on the beach or river somewhere in a holiday town on the east coast. The beach and fishing will keep me busy. Not even sure if you can do this anymore or if the rents are even cheap? I been away for 10 years.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Love your positive post ????

I guess you have to take into account also that some may not have the finances to come back especially to Sydney,they may not have worked in the past or saved up.

So if they come back to Australia say at age 65 I think it's the dole they can only claim for that 2 year period ? 

I was just talking to a friend last night who was at a Centrelink office up at Woy Woy and he was saying there was more young people there to claim unemployment benefits than old people so not everyone will have enough for their future , 

Of course, everybody has their own circumstances and strengths etc. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Love your posts mate. 

???? they bring positive energy to the forum instead of all the negative, great stuff and obviously you are a fantastic person for them to ask for you !

Thanks mate. As a token of appreciation of such nice words, and if you want (?), I'll PM you a pic or 2 of my TGF. Helps explain why I'm bringing her here every 3 months.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I had the idea that if I do go back (in 5-7 years time) I would long term rent a caravan / cabin on the beach or river somewhere in a holiday town on the east coast. The beach and fishing will keep me busy. Not even sure if you can do this anymore or if the rents are even cheap? I been away for 10 years.

I'm not sure about Rents in a park Kenny but sounds like a fantastic lifestyle.

Would you come back at 65?

Edited by georgegeorgia

9 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Thanks mate. As a token of appreciation of such nice words, and if you want (?), I'll PM you a pic or 2 of my TGF. Helps explain why I'm bringing her here every 3 months.

Ironically I was just googling housesitting for the Mount Druitt area , I don't live out West but grew up out there 

Some wanted Security guard licences ????????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your above post. If you're meaning in regard to the 2 years return to Oz to re-establish residency, then there's some regulations involved:

- If you move back to a house/apartment etc., that you own thats' all OK, but you have to also provide proof of council rates and/or utility bills etc., bank statements with your name / address etc.

- Or, a detailed / signed rental agreement. Would they accept a rented caravan etc., I don't know, however I tend to believe they would want further proof as I've mentioned above, rental agreement, utility bills etc etc.

I'm a Vietnam war veteran. I contacted RSL Lifecare and found they had a nice 1 bed apartment available for rent in their Nth. Beaches war vets village. They provided an official one year renewable rental agreement and I was able to get together enough utility bills / bank statements to satisfy the other  requirements.

One possibility is to call Centrelink on their international toll free line from Thailand and ask.

Thailand

I found that calling this number or the domestic number very fruitfull, I got a lot of focused valuable information. The C.link phone officers are polite, focused, good listeners and give clear answers. They don't rush you to finish a call.

As above forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your post. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your above post. If you're meaning in regard to the 2 years return to Oz to re-establish residency, then there's some regulations involved:

- If you move back to a house/apartment etc., that you own thats' all OK, but you have to also provide proof of council rates and/or utility bills etc., bank statements with your name / address etc.

- Or, a detailed / signed rental agreement. Would they accept a rented caravan etc., I don't know, however I tend to believe they would want further proof as I've mentioned above, rental agreement, utility bills etc etc.

I'm a Vietnam war veteran. I contacted RSL Lifecare and found they had a nice 1 bed apartment available for rent in their Nth. Beaches war vets village. They provided an official one year renewable rental agreement and I was able to get together enough utility bills / bank statements to satisfy the other  requirements.

One possibility is to call Centrelink on their international toll free line from Thailand and ask.

Thailand

I found that calling this number or the domestic number very fruitfull, I got a lot of focused valuable information. The C.link phone officers are polite, focused, good listeners and give clear answers. They don't rush you to finish a call.

As above forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your post. 

No, I see your point and have considered that. It is a bit hard to discuss with them what qualifies as portability after 2 years if you are on the other hand trying to convince them you are returning as a full resident with no intention of going back to live overseas. Still far away for me atm but am interested in any feedback on this. Or do you mean you need a proper residential address to apply for the dole / pension in the first instance? Seems odd they would expect you to have a fully rented / owned residence for someone really down on their luck when you are trying to live on the paltry pension which wouldn't allow you to live in a normal rented place. I believe you can use a son or daughters address or think I have read it here? Any feedback or personal experience welcome

• Like 1

You can use a caravan park address ,plenty of people ( thousands) on unemployment benefits in caravan parks , they are actually called mobile home villages nowadays 

A lot up on the coast even in Sydney Parklea etc 

You can also get rent assistance if your living in a caravan park/mobile home village,you are paying rent for the site , 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Does anyone know the history of this 2 year " jail term" ?

Obviously it started when the Liberal Government was in power .

How long has it been in for does anyone know?

Was it Howard or Morris or Tony who brought it in ?

I could even be wrong and it could be Labor who brought the Law in with Julia or the other guy Kevin 

Anyway let's hope that Albo's left wing Goverment removes it !!????

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

She’s great thanks. She lives locally so I’m always close-by …as a good carer should be!

Interesting.

I'm soon 79 yo. live in Thailand with my Thai son and his thai wife and kids for take care of me very well. My Thai wife (Dr. of Medicine) now passed on. Live in a w'chair or bed. Several ongoing recognised disabilities from my VN war service.

I've asked C'link is my son is eligable for the carers allowance. Their response: If in Oz possibly yes, abroad no.

Similar allowance exists in the DVA allowances, same response as with C'link. 

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Does anyone know the history of this 2 year " jail term" ?

Obviously it started when the Liberal Government was in power .

How long has it been in for does anyone know?

Was it Howard or Morris or Tony who brought it in ?

I could even be wrong and it could be Labor who brought the Law in with Julia or the other guy Kevin 

Anyway let's hope that Albo's left wing Goverment removes it !!????

Potability Legislation, some info here may answer your questions,

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/1/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

No, I see your point and have considered that. It is a bit hard to discuss with them what qualifies as portability after 2 years if you are on the other hand trying to convince them you are returning as a full resident with no intention of going back to live overseas. Still far away for me atm but am interested in any feedback on this. Or do you mean you need a proper residential address to apply for the dole / pension in the first instance? Seems odd they would expect you to have a fully rented / owned residence for someone really down on their luck when you are trying to live on the paltry pension which wouldn't allow you to live in a normal rented place. I believe you can use a son or daughters address or think I have read it here? Any feedback or personal experience welcome

Quote:  "No, I see your point and have considered that. It is a bit hard to discuss with them what qualifies as portability after 2 years if you are on the other hand trying to convince them you are returning as a full resident with no intention of going back to live overseas. "

Two points:

1. On arrival in Oz C'link is serious about people proving they are re-establishing a home is Oz, howver this  focus seems to reduce / disipate fairlt quickly.

2. (This is at the end of the 2 years.) I waited until about 10 days after I had completed the 2 years.

I didn't go out of Oz at all during the 2 years, it was the height of the COVID- 19 situation, departing and returning to Oz had complications and same re entering Thailand. I stayed put and to be honest my son in Thailand pushed me to not travel considering the numbers of new infections every day.

So about ten days after the 2 years I called the 'Older Australian Line' 132 300, and said "I've been reading about portability of pension payments but I don't really understand can you please explain it for me?"

Response: A friendly "Sure just give me a moment to scan your screen. Then she said "You have already completed the 2 years factor so you are now entitled to receive your OAP payments anywhere in the world forever. And it changes from the fortnight cycle to a 4 weekly cycle".

I asked "Do I have to apply for this?" Her friendly response 'Oh No, your're now fully/ auto matically  entitled to portability".

She continued "If you want to go aboard and get OAP  payments abroad you just complete the banking document to notify C'link your bank details abroad. She added "I've just sent the form to you on e.mail so you can see what it looks like."

She then said "If you do decide to live abroad you just go to the other country, get the C'link banking doc completed and submit the bank document by e.mail".

She added "If you need more details or advice on portability hesitate to call this line again".

I did go abroad, I took the bank document to K Bank, they signed it and added their stamp and I returned it to the C'link international banking e.mail.

Two days later I got a polite call from that section of C'link, polite young man, went thru the basic security questions then said "This call is to double check your bank account name and account number abroad, the bank name and SWIFT Code etc".

He continued "I will say 2lettere / numbers and you confirm they are correct then we do 2 more numbers and you confirm etc."  

He also said "getting you transferred to the 4 weekly cycle will take a little time, you will get the first 4 weekly payment on xx/xx/xxxx." The date was correct.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

In the initial stages definitely DON'T mention anything about portability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Potability Legislation, some info here may answer your questions,

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/1/10

Then there's a little further history for those who enjoy reading.

https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/international/policy/portability-of-australian-income-support-payments

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

"I believe you are mistaken, you cannot go overseas several times in 2 years as you suggest, and if you are going to quote this, you really should back it up with some link (respectfully). Below is copy from the legislation, plus the link itself. " 

I'm not mistaken.

When in Oz I called the toll free C'link 'older aussies line' and they confirmed it's true. This exact point has been covered many times before on ThaiVisa/AseanNow and many others people have confirmed it's true from their own experience.

Anybody can call the C'link International toll free number and ask. But always be careful what you say / reveal. As with many gov't agencies nowadays all calls are recorded. 

I don't doubt what your saying, but I am a stickler for legislation, it says what your reading, hearsay to me is risky, but I was told by XYZ that it was ok, nope, the legislation stipulates ABC.

The above said, when I do get back to Oz, i.e. if I do decide to chase the glorious 50,000 odd baht per month for the 2 year jail term, I will ask Centrelink as I intend on returning during school holidays here, e.g. a week in April and a week in October to spend time with the family, alternatively if I'm feelinn rich, I will send them tickets to Oz as I will already have accommodation paid for.

Like I said above, I don't doubt you, but one bitten twice shy.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So....You say you used to have a six figure salary.

But the cut off point for the full OAP as a single non homeowner person is only $543,750.

So were earning a six figure salary but were not able to even save 500 grand?

Edited by Adumbration
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't doubt what your saying, but I am a stickler for legislation, it says what your reading, hearsay to me is risky, but I was told by XYZ that it was ok, nope, the legislation stipulates ABC.

The above said, when I do get back to Oz, i.e. if I do decide to chase the glorious 50,000 odd baht per month for the 2 year jail term, I will ask Centrelink as I intend on returning during school holidays here, e.g. a week in April and a week in October to spend time with the family, alternatively if I'm feelinn rich, I will send them tickets to Oz as I will already have accommodation paid for.

Like I said above, I don't doubt you, but one bitten twice shy.

I think it's around 43/44 K per month with the exchange rates , I don't think you get the allowances

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I didn't enjoy it at all lol, was a difficult read....my takeaway from that is that the 2 year rule applies providing you don't indicate you are only back to receive a pension....and that a minimum of 4 weeks a year you are allowed to be out of the country? Am I reading that right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1