Leaving the bar stool ...

KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Main purpose to stop was for some shoes we liked, already have.   I always peek at 'You Hunt We Cook', but they and Gourmet Market didn't have any steaks I liked.   So we hit the Turkish kebab/Mexican Quesadilla vendor.

On level 3 is a shop with comfortable flip flops. Like a cheaper version of Crocs but look better.

• Sad 1

On 6/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, KhunLA said:

Baan Georges, Sukhothai 👍

I've stayed there a few times, it's my favourite hotel to break my journey on the rare occasions I'm driving South.

If you're heading North from there, always take the 101 though the national park.

I did the journey from Baan George to Chiang Rai on a Kawasaki Versys about 12 years ago.  I was messing about with the Garmin GPS in my hotel room and unwittingly told it to avoid highways. The route through all the little villages was stunning until North of Chiang Rai and took me to a rice paddy.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I've stayed there a few times, it's my favourite hotel to break my journey on the rare occasions I'm driving South.

If you're heading North from there, always take the 101 though the national park.

I did the journey from Baan George to Chiang Rai on a Kawasaki Versys about 12 years ago.  I was messing about with the Garmin GPS in my hotel room and unwittingly told it to avoid highways. The route through all the little villages was stunning until North of Chiang Rai and took me to a rice paddy.

We used 101 going up through Phrae & Nan last last year.

• 1 month later...

An observation from far west side of Ratchaburi, near border, DTAC, NO service at all.   Which also means, if you use your phone as a hotspot, as I do quite often, if hotel's wifi sucks, or don't have, then you are without wifi along with phone.

If wife didn't have AIS, would be hard to make reservation for tomorrow, as going to check out the other valley about 20ish kms away.  A lot more over there anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Leaving the Barstool ... locally

... it's hard leaving the local area at times, or even the back veranda & front porch.   View off the front porch after the clouds broke up a bit to let the sun through last night ...

image.png.93ee4cb7bc574e44ccec0df8b6c054ab.png

Don't get much tourist promo here, PKK town, except the annual Jet Ski competition.   Party time this weekend ...

image.png.6181cbfd95a9b2dbddf78485021142d4.png

Ao Prachuap's white sand beach looking good this AM (penicillin shot not inc).   Along with final touches being put on the stage at the park ...

1723265118964.jpg

1723265118957.jpg

Got the MC Q'd up, as soon as the car is topped up.   They pack 'em in at surfside for the weekend market, let alone having a festival.

1723265118950.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, KhunLA said:

PhimMai Hist Park isn't even on the list, or Ban Chiang Archaeological Park

Could add Muang Tam, Phanom Rung, Si Satchanalai and a few others. 

But, to be honest, I often wonder why so many tourists come to Thailand, where there isn't much of genuine interest to be seen. While in Europe or even Latin America every village, every corner, is an attraction, often surrounded by amazing scenery.

Can't believe it is the seedy reputation of the country that can draw so many.

• Agree 1

Kite festival held on weekend, in conjunction with surfside weekend market.   If never been, it stretches for about 500 meters, with 2 rows of vendors.   Quite nice the first few times visiting.   After 1700 hrs, most in the shade, with sitting on the wall available, in not taking away.

Walking distance from surfside hotels, or anything really.  Town really isn't that big.   End of vid, can see the line of vendor stretching down along surfside.

image.png.f2dbed66a6ae636335b979be1bcddb19.png

Not my vid ...

On 6/16/2024 at 5:37 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Bali sounds like Thailand with Australians and Julia Roberts. Not that appealing.

Had a week in Penang once a long time ago, to me it was Australian families. Nothing against them but kids everywhere comes as a shock when you've been in Pattaya for a while.

Johor and KL were alright for a few nights for a mooch about and a few drinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A short local O&A, and only 85 kms away.  

Popped up to Pranburi beach area, (Pak Nam) just north of us, to see what's up on a weekend (Sat). Apparently left a little too early for festivities; bands, more street vendors, and some 'mini' balloons.

Stopped on the way back home for a nice munch.  If in the area, would recommend the munch spot, at very north end of Sam Roi Yot beach.  Cappuccino frappe sucked, but food was tasty.

Edited by KhunLA